Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Score update?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

---

oops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

2 minutes of extra time to go. 22-22. If it stays level Leinster advance to the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Looks like it will finish 22-22 and Leinster will go through on some technicality.

FT 22-22 and Leinster go through.

Thank fcuk. My heart was in my mouth reading those updates. Hopefully the final will be televised.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Great win lots of handling errors but radio said conditions ate poor, fial is a home one for us I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Hagz wrote: »
    Thank fcuk. My heart was in my mouth reading those updates. Hopefully the final will be televised.

On Sky? I wouldn't be massively confident.

Morf wrote: »
    On Sky? I wouldn't be massively confident.

Munster had one televised a couple of years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

What date is the final?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

LostArt wrote: »
    What date is the final?

Same as the HEC at a guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

What are the rules about players we can field in the final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Buer wrote: »
    Leamy's take and Wallace's pass were top class. For all the stick he took, Wallace still offered something that no other 12 has been able to yet. I hoped Marshall could but his passing game seems to have been shelved.

Wallace was a good playmaking 12. Wallace's problem was being used as a utility back or sub out-half for Ireland, when he was only a 12 really.

Olding has a lovely distributing game if he makes it at 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

durkadurka wrote: »
    What are the rules about players we can field in the final?
    Don't think there is any. Ye can play who ye want to

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Don't think there is any. Ye can play who ye want to

Even so I would hope/expect they stick with the A team lads and don't bring in a host of first team players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Tox56 wrote: »
    Even so I would hope/expect they stick with the A team lads and don't bring in a host of first team players

Ah definitely, would completely defeat the purpose of the competition to field first team players.

The team fielded today is good enough to play anyone in the competition, so hopefully they don't load it.

Apparently he high error count was down to the conditions, but from the pictures the conditions looked perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Sounds like a crazy ending:
    It looked to be enough to secure Ponty the victory until some incredible late drama. Home winger Owen Jenkins kicked the ball into touch, thinking the game was over, only for referee Craig Maxwell-Keys to allow play to continue.

From the lineout Marsh found a gap but was held up over the Ponty line and the home side were able to kick to touch for a second time.

There was still enough time left for the lineout and Leinster 'A' struck right at the death as UCD clubman Boyle found a gap to score the province's third and most important try.

Marsh brilliantly held his nerve to land the levelling conversion under intense pressure and send the match into extra-time. The kick took him to 100 points in this season's British & Irish Cup.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/team/results/11850.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

.ak wrote: »
    The team fielded today is good enough to play anyone in the competition, so hopefully they don't load it.

One or two extra lads who usually cover the first squad maybe.

The likes of Bent and maybe Locky to get game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Of course they won't load that team. That won't even be discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

salmocab wrote: »
    Of course they won't load that team. That won't even be discussed.

Only potential loading I see is if fitz or mcfadden are just back from injury and they need gametime before a pro12 final ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Really good win. That Ponty team have a lot of experience and a number of guys who have a bit of Pro12 rugby under their belts along with several Welsh 7s internationals.

They've just won the Welsh Premiership again for the 4th time in a row. Not a bad result at all.

The only thing that will ease my hangover is talking about the side for next week against Ulster, which is a massive massive game now

Interesting to see where they will go particularly on the subs bench, hooker and, as always, 10. Rest of the team picks itself

I'd go for

Healy
    Cronin
    Ross
    McCarthy
    Toner
    Ruddock
    Jennings
    Heaslip
    Reddan
    Madigan
    Fitzgerald
    Darce
    BOD
    Dave K
    Kearney

Strauss
    McGrath
    Moore
    Denton/Cullen
    Murphy
    McGrath
    Gopperth
    Ferg (if fit)/Kirchner

Cronin deserves a start, Murphy could well get the nod at 7 and only god knows what's going to happen at 10

As chairman of the Luke McGrath fan club I am of course pushing for him to bench, and with Boss completely out of form and McGrath on a bit of a run at the moment this seems like a great opportunity against good opposition

That's a good enough team to win in Belfast but it's not a team that would give me a massive amount of confidence. Absolute minimum requirement is a LBP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I have a feeling it'll be Jimmy seeing out the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Edinbourgh were the only one of the 3 that I could see denying Glasgow The bonus victory. Now that they have only the two Italian sides to steamroll over, a minimum of 6 points is needed from the next two games.

errlloyd wrote: »

Sure why not drop Madigan to the As so give him some experience in a knockout game :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

errlloyd wrote: »

I hope you're wrong, but I think you might be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Tim bateman is a player the provinces should go after. Great looking 12 currently benching forthe hurricans.

For 2nd rows id go for either Jeremy thrush or tom donnelly both big lumps. We dont need a replacement for mccarthy we need a genuine option off the bench ala moore and ross , healy and mcgrath
    No way a current All Black is going to come here to sit on the bench.

Donnelly might be an option but he's 33 in the autumn and, as a former All Black, he would probably want a decent wedge for a bloke nearing the end.

I'd rather we look at guys closer to Franco van der Merwe who are established, consistent and experienced without having as high a profile.

I would also want someone young enough that we could potentially sign on an extenstion if our lock prospects don't come through to ensure we aren't in this boat again in 24 months.

Bateman has signed to play in Japan I think.

Donnelly is past his best, but has always been a great team man. I don't think he's currently better than Toner & McCarthy, but probably would be the 3rd choice lock if he signed on. However, he's done the Japan thing before, so maybe he'd head back there.

Thrush (like King, Stanley & Delaney Buer) is likely to be a single-digit AB. Only selected in Autumn last year because of doubts about Romano's fitness. I don't expect him to make the cut for the June series. Whitelock, Retallick, and Romano are all better, Bird is on the improve, and I like the look of Patrick Tuipolotou. Luatua can also play lock. So as part of a long-winded answer, Thrush might become available, although I imagine he'll hang on in NZ until after 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I agree, and to load the team would completely undermine the achievements of the A team so far. It's their cup and I think the management will treat it as such. More or less the same team for the final I'd imagine.

On a side note, any word on Adam Byrne? He hasn't featured much / at all this season which is disappointing and presumably seriously stunting his development. It would be great if he was cementing a place in the A team at this stage in his career if he's to be considered a great hope for the senior team in a couple of years.

• Advertisement

[Jackass] wrote: »
    On a side note, any word on Adam Byrne? He hasn't featured much / at all this season which is disappointing and presumably seriously stunting his development. It would be great if he was cementing a place in the A team at this stage in his career if he's to be considered a great hope for the senior team in a couple of years.

Much like Conway was for years, anytime he looks like he has a change he gets injured.

Watching Munster, Toulon - really makes me wonder what the hell happened in the 1/4.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I agree, and to load the team would completely undermine the achievements of the A team so far. It's their cup and I think the management will treat it as such. More or less the same team for the final I'd imagine.

Adam Byrne broke his ankle again, after a great u20s 6n.

Watching Munster, Toulon - really makes me wonder what the hell happened in the 1/4.

It was in the Stade Felix Mayol.

Munsters game plan was far more suited to the game. Leinster tried to fight fire with fire. It almost worked but we weren't accurate enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Leinster aren't as good as Toulon.

Munster aren't as good as Toulon either but were in it till the end, on another day they could have won, we were just blown away, even when the score was tight Toulon were dominant

Munster aren't as good as Toulon either but were in it till the end, on another day they could have won, we were just blown away, even when the score was tight Toulon were dominant

You only need to look back to the Leinster/Munster game in Lansdowne to see a Leinster pack controlling a game. Toulon are better again obviously and probably are just a better side than Leinster but the performance against Toulon was really poor.

Small margins. Armitage lifts his legs or Rossouw doesn't drop the ball on the line and the score is 23-9 with the game over pretty much. Leinster weren't really blown away until the last 25 minutes. Just before the decisive try, Leinster were coming back at Toulon hard.

Munster weathered the crucial period, Leinster didn't. Leinster just got it all wrong in terms of defending midfield which killed us. Leinster actually won more penalties at the breakdown than Toulon where we supposedly were destroyed.

Munster had much more power in their midfield which showed.

Adam Byrne broke his ankle again, after a great u20s 6n.

The kid is built like a rock but he seems to break like glass :(

• Advertisement

Small margins. Armitage lifts his legs or Rossouw doesn't drop the ball on the line and the score is 23-9 with the game over pretty much. Leinster weren't really blown away until the last 25 minutes. Just before the decisive try, Leinster were coming back at Toulon hard.

Munster weathered the crucial period, Leinster didn't. Leinster just got it all wrong in terms of defending midfield which killed us. Leinster actually won more penalties at the breakdown than Toulon where we supposedly were destroyed.

Munster had much more power in their midfield which showed.

Was reading through your post and was just about to say the bolded, the Munster midfield stood up much better than Leinster's, which leaked badly, put us under all sorts of pressure.

danthefan wrote: »
    Was reading through your post and was just about to say the bolded, the Munster midfield stood up much better than Leinster's, which leaked badly, put us under all sorts of pressure.

I think Leinster really got their plan wrong for that. They trusted D'Arcy and BOD to deal with Bastareaud when they've shown twice before they struggle against him. McCarthy or Ruddock was really needed to babysit midfield like Coughlan did today.

Combine Coughlan with the fact the Munster centres are 101kg and 104kg and you're in business.

Never miss a chance to troll.

No, on paper - Leinster aren't, but we've beaten plenty of better teams. My issue isn't defeat which I was half resigned to, it was the manner of the defeat.

As mentioned above - Toulon made no where near as much ground in mid-field against Munster which is significant. Downey and Coughlan were very solid today and the choke tackle was well used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Glasgow up to second and 5 points behind us.
    Bit of pressure on us to get something in Ravenhill next weekend.
    The Weegies are really in great form at the moment, definitely the form team in the league and at the right time (for them) too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Heroditas wrote: »
    The Weegies are really in great form at the moment, definitely the form team in the league and at the right time (for them) too.

Any word on Ulsters injury list? They could be down to bare bones in the pack particularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Heroditas wrote: »

And their last two matches are against Treviso and Zebre....must be looking at 10 points there, so we must get something at Ravenhill.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Assuming Glasgow win both their last games we have to finish on a higher points total then them as the amount of games won is the first deciding factor for equal points finishing teams.

Six points is what we need to be sure of this.

vienne86 wrote: »
    And their last two matches are against Treviso and Zebre....must be looking at 10 points there, so we must get something at Ravenhill.

The only consolation is that Glasgow play Treviso in Italy, where a BP win is by no means a cert.

Coming away from Ravenhill with at least a losing BP would mean first place would be in our hands on the final day regardless of what Glasgow do, so let's hope for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Toulon's backrow, specifically Armitage absolutely man handled Leinster.

Either Munster were better at protecting their ball, or the lads just didn't show up in the same way for Toulon.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement