Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

We don't need to see it. It needs to happen in training and in other areas. The coaches don't just throw players in randomly to see how they'll play, they have a decent idea about it.

McGrath is young and inexperienced. Boss is an accomplished player with huge experience and is a natural game manager, it's easy for me to understand why Boss is starting ahead of McGrath. There are plenty of great examples out there of exactly why you do not throw a 9 into the deep end (Conor Murray for example).

And look where Murray is now.He'd never have gotten there if O'Leary wasn't dropped,and if McGrath doesn't get to play matches he'll never improve.Training can only do so much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Swan Curry wrote: »
    And look where Murray is now.

Whoa whoa whoa. I don't entirely agree with ibf but Murray's career progression is not one that should be copied by anyone. He is where he is now because he's a very good talent but the way he was parachuted into the Irish team was a joke and severely hamstrung the Irish team. He should never, ever have been in that position and just because he is now an excellent scrum half doesn't change the fact that he was, frankly, crap when he started.

McGrath needs to earn the job in training, that's how these things work. I do slightly question MOC's openness to that kind of thing happening, but ultimately we don't see these players at all really and he does. Boss is fairly poor at this stage though so I would really like to see McGrath get some more time. MOC clearly doesn't trust him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Whoa whoa whoa. I don't entirely agree with ibf but Murray's career progression is not one that should be copied by anyone. He is where he is now because he's a very good talent but the way he was parachuted into the Irish team was a joke and severely hamstrung the Irish team. He should never, ever have been in that position and just because he is now an excellent scrum half doesn't change the fact that he was, frankly, crap when he started.

McGrath needs to earn the job in training, that's how these things work. I do slightly question MOC's openness to that kind of thing happening, but ultimately we don't see these players at all really and he does. Boss is fairly poor at this stage though so I would really like to see McGrath get some more time. MOC clearly doesn't trust him though.

Well yeah,I'm not saying McGrath should be exposed at the level Murray was,but he needs to be given gametime sooner rather than later.Within the next two years,we'll probably have lost at least one of Boss or Reddan.What's the point in not playing McGrath now when we're very possibly going to have to rely on him soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Tis funny alright. On a related note, people often speak about Michael Jordan, and how good he was despite 'only' being 6"6.

Shortarse

• Registered Users Posts: 2 twoters

6'4 is short for a professional second row. Hell 6'5 is on the smaller side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

McGrath has a long long way to go before he is on the same level as Boss or Redan - he's young , lots of hype , but I am yet to see that potential on the senior stage - maybe I have just seen him on off days, but I'm yet to be convinced , as always hope he shows me up , and that he is ready and that potential is ready to be unleashed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

.ak wrote: »
    Where'd you see the 20% message?

Might buy some more training tee's. For anyone who's looking for a decent tee for training/gym the dry training shirt is the business. With 20% off it's probably around €20 also, cheap as chips.

The OLSC have a 10% off code that still works. Anyone wants it feel free to PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Tis funny alright. On a related note, people often speak about Michael Jordan, and how good he was despite 'only' being 6"6.

How long is his armspan though? #Metrics

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Morf wrote: »

It'd be near enough to half his height no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Morf wrote: »

No idea but I wouldn't imagine that much of a relative difference compared to his opponents. Simply a gifted baller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Fabulous day for the {home} start to the season. Atmosphere is slowing building here in the RDS. Can't wait for kick off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Just about to say unreal here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Absolutely gorgeous at the oar dee esh today.

Supporters pack is good too- hat scarf mug pen key ring .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Anyone know what was going on with the stadium today? One screen removed, other screen about half the size (although Leinster said they will have a bigger one next week), sound system is dreadful and the screen itself was about 4 seconds behind with barely any replays. Sky related?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Can't see how it'd have anything to do with Sky tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

The seem to gave bolloxed up the seat numbers in the grandstand too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Can't see how it'd have anything to do with Sky tbh.

Well the feed was about three or four seconds behind as if they were streaming Sky cameras. Was utterly useless for watching it live.

And because of this, possibly, they weren't showing as many replays.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭DelMcG

Delighted with the overall performance today, some things to work on but overall a good day at the office.

One thing struck me, and maybe others who were there can back me up... did there seem to be a bit of needle between Gopperth and Madigan today? A couple of times, it looked to me like they were having words.

One moment that stood out was (I think) after the Scarlets try. Either way, Gopperth was setting up to take the restart & Mads threw the ball accidentally past him rather than to him. The look he gave Madigan could have curdled milk...

A couple of other times where Madigan placed the ball for conversions, Gopperth didn't look too happy that he wasn't the one taking them. Particularly the conversion for Madigan's own try in the second half, he basically told Gopperth he was taking the kick on himself and got a "yeah, whatever" shrug in reply.

Like I say, maybe this is just my interpretation of events, but it didn't look like all is well between the boys at the moment

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not so sure about that. I could definitely see them communicating in open play about defense etc, but for mads first kick jimmy was stretching himself off. I'd read nothing into that though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jimmy Gopperth.

I really don't know..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

They'd have decided who is first choice kicker before the game.

I did notice they did have a snap off each other for the try that was basically gopps fault, but for the most part I thought they played really well together. May take a while for them to iron out some things. Most people forget that it's really the 10/12 partnership that has to be tight rather than the 12/13 one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Didn't think much of gop today tbh. I can't quite place my finger on it but just didn't feel like he commanded the team, and his overall performance wasn't as strong as the overall victory should have provided. Mads had a great game though, as did ft heaslip but the yellow card was silly, not that it really mattered at that point.

Very satisfied with that today. However scarlets were very poor. We were In the supporters bar afterwards and some of the scarlets players came in. Had a chat and got a few photos with them and to be fair they seemed heavily down on themselves seemed heavily down on themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Uriel. wrote: »
    Didn't think much of gop today tbh. I can't quite place my finger on it but just didn't feel like he commanded the team, and his overall performance wasn't as strong as the overall victory should have provided. Mads had a great game though, as did ft heaslip but the yellow card was silly, not that it really mattered at that point.

Very satisfied with that today. However scarlets were very poor. We were In the supporters bar afterwards and some of the scarlets players came in. Had a chat and got a few photos with them and to be fair they seemed heavily down on themselves seemed heavily down on themselves

The reason you can't put your finger on it is because there are too many things to pick out! He stands too deep, he kicks away posession when the defence is back peddling and you could go for the jugular. He is error prone,knock on when it's a simple gather and give to put kirchner away, restart not gong 10 and throwing the ball away for their try.
    We are told he is the old head but he is the one making the errors of an academy player. Grand for Rabo but should be no where near the team come European cup.

I'm surprised by the comments on gopps. Thought he got the backline motoring quite well today. For me he's still ahead of Madigan, as I think Madigan plays with blinkers on at 10. At least gopps uses the space and identifies it. This might go down like a led balloon but he's done more with our backline than Madigan ever has. Madigan relies on a big spin out pass in attack rather than bringing on people with short ball or looking for the inside receiver or even just straightening and sending it through the hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I'm surprised by the comments on gopps. Thought he got the backline motoring quite well today. For me he's still ahead of Madigan, as I think Madigan plays with blinkers on at 10. At least gopps uses the space and identifies it. This might go down like a led balloon but he's done more with our backline than Madigan ever has. Madigan relies on a big spin out pass in attack rather than bringing on people with short ball or looking for the inside receiver or even just straightening and sending it through the hands.

Ok but watch the Northampton away game in its entirety again and then re-read your comment. His performance in that game was outstanding in terms of awareness of space, varying the play and top class distribution. I'm not saying he always does it or he does it enough, but he absolutely can do it

For me he was very one dimensional in franklin gardens. That probably sounds worse than what I mean, and what I mean is this: If your pack is destroying all that's in front of you you don't have to find the space, it's already there. A lot of what he did in franklin gardens was take 2nd phase ball after sob or an other rampaged and then ran at turning defenders, passed the ball and the rest is history.

What I want to see from him is games where we aren't so utterly dominate up front, of which last season there were many, and then use the space that becomes available through phases to punish teams. An almost perfect case point is the Connacht away game last season. We weren't winning parity up front but had a few opportunities were we managed to suck in defenders. In those situations you just keep it simple, run and arc at the third defender and put it through the hands. Instead he'd kick it hoping for space behind them, or spin a cut out pass to try and eat the space before it's closed off - which the conditions didn't allow for. The same game is a perfect case point for why Gopperth can do these things better than mads.

For me it's gopps at 10 for the rest if the season and Madigan at 12. Next season Johnny and Madigan can play together in the big games properly, rather than as an experiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

So after a comprehensive win really the only question left to be answered is where is my car sticker from the supporters pack. What a rip off.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The comments on Jimmy here are ridiculous after that game. Yes the was a knock on and yes there was a restart that didn't go ten... but Jesus No player is perfect.
    For what the game was yesterday i thought gopperth had a good game. He recognised that scarlets defended narrow so when the opportunity arose he spread it wide quickly. Playing a narrow defense you have to stand deep to make space. The amount of times the tactic worked shows he was correct. The majority of our breaks came in the wings from either zane, rk or df. You don't stand flat against a narrow blitz.
    I though mads relished today in NOT being the decision maker at 10. He got more space to see what was on.

Some posters just will never take to jimmy or moc no matter what the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The comments on Jimmy here are ridiculous after that game. Yes the was a knock on and yes there was a restart that didn't go ten... but Jesus No player is perfect.
    For what the game was yesterday i thought gopperth had a good game. He recognised that scarlets defended narrow so when the opportunity arose he spread it wide quickly. Playing a narrow defense you have to stand deep to make space. The amount of times the tactic worked shows he was correct. The majority of our breaks came in the wings from either zane, rk or df. You don't stand flat against a narrow blitz.
    I though mads relished today in NOT being the decision maker at 10. He got more space to see what was on.

Some posters just will never take to jimmy or moc no matter what the results.

Thing is most posters/people on here always expect perfection ! It becomes more apparent everytime. No allowance for improvements or experimentation. Flat out perfection, win or it's not worth it. Even developing players is getting harder due to the expectations.

Mads is a great player and so is Gopps, wherever they play. Personally think that Mads is so talented he could play any position in the back line!

Great to see Crosbie play and do so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I thought Gopperth had a decent day and Madigan had a great day. It will be interesting to see how the 10/12 situation plays itself out. Fabulous kicking by Madigan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Agreed. Thought Gopps played well and made the right decisions. Also Madigan needs game time and thrives on it - he needs to be on the field almost every match but that doesn't mean he has to be at 10 every match. He was great yesterday and the centre partnership worked really well.

Next year? Would love to see how Sexton, Madigan and Fitz/ano would work both for Leinster and Ireland. Would be a hell of an attacking line but also very good in defence.

For me it's gopps at 10 for the rest if the season and Madigan at 12. Next season Johnny and Madigan can play together in the big games properly, rather than as an experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭A-Train

Good result yesterday, thought Mads should have got motm but Jamie played good as well so no real complaints!

The only real issue I had with yesterday has already been said here, that being the screens and coverage. Hopefully the bigger screen is brought back and also the 2nd screen beside the south stand is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

After losing their opener away to Saracens 34-28 due to an 80th minute try, Wasps are about to put away Northampton at home. They're currently 20-16 ahead in the last minute.

Despite potentially looking like the weakest team in our pool, the way the season has started for everyone, they look to be the strongest currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Buer wrote: »
    After losing their opener away to Saracens 34-28 due to an 80th minute try, Wasps are about to put away Northampton at home. They're currently 20-16 ahead in the last minute.

Despite potentially looking like the weakest team in our pool, the way the season has started for everyone, they look to be the strongest currently.

Well I didn't think I would find the result of that match on this thread.
    I recorded the match to watch later. Never mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Tut Tut. Someone hasn't read the charter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ban him indefinitely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

hello

RuggieBear wrote: »
    hello

Run Buer, dad's home!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

It's probably to early to tell, but the results so far would indicate that wasps are stronger than harlequins this season. The two meet next weekend with harlequins at home so that will give us a better idea.

I wonder will this effect who we choose to play in Landsdown, or will that already be set.

• Advertisement

It's probably to early to tell, but the results so far would indicate that wasps are stronger than harlequins this season. The two meet next weekend with harlequins at home so that will give us a better idea.

I wonder will this effect who we choose to play in Landsdown, or will that already be set.

Already decided that we're playing Quins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Kill him!

Stone him!

THEN ban him!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm pretty sure I didn't break any rules.

And if I did, you can't tell me what to do.

(I'm really, really sorry)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

use spoiler please in future. at least on the same day of the match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Uriel. wrote: »
    Fabulous day for the {home} start to the season. Atmosphere is slowing building here in the RDS. Can't wait for kick off

Great atmosphere at the game alright. Virtually no singing or chanting which was a good step forward (not 'Leeeeinster. Leeeeinster' to heard dg).
    Just the background burble of the crowd enjoying the game and the nice weather. Good cheers for the scores and polite applause for the opposition. Everyone in good mood now that we got out hats in our supporters packs. Baseball cap next year Leinster instead of the scarf please (scarves really are stacking up under the stairs at this stage).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

On JGop. He had a good game and is a good player. He is serving Leinster very well. What are the chances of us hanging on to him beyond this year ? Mads is now a 12 for the foreseeable future, and will either be starting there or benching for Ireland, so wont be an international window sub for Jonny. JGop's the man to do that job.

On JGop. He had a good game and is a good player. He is serving Leinster very well. What are the chances of us hanging on to him beyond this year ? Mads is now a 12 for the foreseeable future, and will either be starting there or benching for Ireland, so wont be an international window sub for Jonny. JGop's the man to do that job.

There were occasions last season, during international windows, when we were bloody glad to have Gopperth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Gopperth would not hang around next year to play 3rd string, nor would I blame him. He will get a good contract with a French or English team. He will probably be looking for his last real big contract and decent money, would not sit on the bench for my last few years of pro rugby. Personally think that he will depart, its not that he has been filled with love by the home fans now either is it?

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Gopperth would not hang around next year to play 3rd string, nor would I blame him. He will get a good contract with a French or English team. He will probably be looking for his last real big contract and decent money, would not sit on the bench for my last few years of pro rugby. Personally think that he will depart, its not that he has been filled with love by the home fans now either is it?

As a solid and experienced number 10, he won't be short of offers and will finish out his career on a nice salary. And I wouldn't grudge him that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Connacht should offer him a deal. I'd say he'd be tempted if Connacht can display progression this season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement