Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

molloyjh wrote: »

Again looking at final end result figures without context is pointless. Last season we had a first half to the season that was insane when it came to injuries. And the injuries weren't limited to first team players, a lot of the back-ups were hit too.Also the quality of opposition last season in the Rabo was a good deal higher than it has been this season where the Pro12 is really showing signs of the damage done by the Welsh exodus. With 3 games to go and looking at our average so far we are looking at conceding another 4 tries. That will take us to 31. That might be an improvement over last season, which was a bit of a freak of a season, but it's worse than any other season in the last 6 or 7 years. And we've conceded a good deal more tries and more points than any other side competing for the play-offs.

As for the HEC we had Clermont in our pool last season and had to play them with a patchwork backline. We didn't have anyone of that quality this season and didn't have the injury woes either. And yet we still conceded more. Bear in mind too that Ospreys scored a sum total of 3 tries in the pool this season and Castres only 5. 4 of Castres tries were against us. So it's not like we were up against try scoring machines or anything.

As fans we all know the context but you could equally argue that at the start of this season we'd no Nacewa, Sexton, Kirchner, BOD, Cullen, Reddan has injury probs at the start of the season, and SOB has only managed 5 appearances for us all season.

Yeah we'd Clermont in the HEC last season but our group overall was a good bit stronger this season. Castres are not as good as Clermont but Northampton and Ospreys are alot better than Exeter and Lanelli.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭BazPM

I wonder if Luke Fitzgerald will be back for this weekend, very odd injury he has, hopefully Matt o Connor can help him 'recover'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

BazPM wrote: »
    I wonder if Luke Fitzgerald will be back for this weekend, very odd injury he has, hopefully Matt o Connor can help him 'recover'

Guy Easterby talks about it in the article above. Nothing odd about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭BazPM

.ak wrote: »
    Guy Easterby talks about it in the article above. Nothing odd about it.

He can't even get the injury right in the article. All I'm saying is I've heard there's more to lukes absenteeism

He can't even get the injury right in the article. All I'm saying is I've heard there's more to lukes absenteeism

There isn't. And he got the injury right - it isn't just Luke's abdominal muscle acting up, his flexor is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rugby addict

I was talking to someone last week who personally knows Luke, seemingly he is pulling like a train.
    There isn't. And he got the injury right - it isn't just Luke's abdominal muscle acting up, his flexor is too.
    Sounds a lot like bedroom injuries to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Ah yes, the old "I know something you don't know" contribution. Excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Ah yes, the old "I know something you don't know" contribution. Excellent.

Should be a bannable offense. So ****ing annoying

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I was talking to someone last week who personally knows Luke, seemingly he is pulling like a train.

Sounds a lot like bedroom injuries to me

When you put it like that it does :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Easterby reveals that it is often Fitzgerald himself who is making the calls on whether or not his body is ready to play. Normally, such decisions are completely in the hands of the province’s medical team, but Leinster have learned to trust the Ireland international’s instincts.

Wouldnt mind that setup myself.

Monday morning alarm clock. Should I go to work? No, call the boss: "Look, I could come in. If you really need my, of course I'm there. But I just feel I'm about a week away. Best not risk it. My instinct tell me I should just have a long lie in today and listen to the radio. Just dont feel up to coming in. I'll see how things go this week and I might see you next Monday."
    Boss : "That sounds sensible, SaveOurLyric. You just go back to sleep there. Best switch off your phone too so no one can disturb. Talk next Monday."

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm pretty sure I told you last night about this sort of thing.

If you know something spit it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

A decision on whether Luke Fitzgerald will be available for Ireland's summer tour to Argentina will be made in the next two to three weeks, according to Leinster manager Guy Easterby, who admitted the player could need an "intervention" to fix the problem in the off-season.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/fitzgeralds-argentina-tour-hopes-on-knife-edge-30185723.html

McFadden not as bad as first thought and

ALSO details on player transfers and the new performance director

We're still managing the injury, it's a niggly one and it improves at times and it's regressing at times as well," Easterby explained, adding that Fergus McFadden should feature before the end of the season as his knee injury is not as bad as first feared.
    "It's frustrating because you want to pick a player of his quality, but it's him we feel sorry for more than anything. It's about managing it and then looking at it again in the summer and seeing if there any interventions needed to put it right."
    Meanwhile, Easterby has warned against the incoming IRFU performance director forcing Leinster to move their back-up players to different provinces as has been mooted.
    With Australian David Nucifora expected to take over the new role in June, there is speculation the stronger provinces may have to move a number of their young players out in order to give them game time, while Connacht fear being forced to lose Robbie Henshaw to a top-tier European province.
    "We would have to sit down with the guy who comes in and have a long and interesting chat," Easterby said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Oh ffs let's not go down the road of moving players around provinces willy nilly. I want for the most part Munster produced players at Munster, not become Team Ireland production line #1.

Henshaw should never be moved in a million years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Oh ffs let's not go down the road of moving players around provinces willy nilly. I want for the most part Munster produced players at Munster, not become Team Ireland production line #1.

Ah yes but Henshaw is technically from Leisnter isn't he? So he qualifies on residency. At the very least we can bring him in as a project player for 3 years and have him qualify for Leinsterdom after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Lets be honest, if Henshaw delivers on his promise in the next couple of seasons, I think we'd all be relatively confident that he won't be playing his rugby in Connacht by 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

The same applies to Marmion. I think that in his position he is actually ahead of Henshaw in fulfilling Ireland requirements. Boss will slip away in the next year or so, Reddan will only do a few more, so Murray and Marmion could be one and two scrum halves within a few years.

I don't know. I'm all for Leinster players going to other provinces to learn their trade. People seem to be happy with fringe players going overseas rather than to other provinces, but the fact of the matter is once that happens they rarely come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Munster have/have had a rake of Leinster players now, and vice-versa. It only makes sense.

Having said that I'm not hugely comfortable with just taking players from Connacht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ah yes but Henshaw is technically from Leisnter isn't he? So he qualifies on residency. At the very least we can bring him in as a project player for 3 years and have him qualify for Leinsterdom after that.

He might be from the roscommon side of athlone. I've heard him refer to connacht as his home province.

Tell you what though, connacht have a decent midfield coming together. If they can source a balling 10, that leaves:

9. Marmion
    10. ?
    12. Bundee
    13. Henshaw

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    He might be from the roscommon side of athlone. I've heard him refer to connacht as his home province.

Tell you what though, connacht have a decent midfield coming together. If they can source a balling 10, that leaves:

9. Marmion
    10. ?
    12. Bundee
    13. Henshaw

? Steenson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

? Steenson

I was also thinking Madigan seems to work better with Kiwis ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I was also thinking Madigan seems to work better with Kiwis ;)

No bother. As we're getting Sexton back ye can take him. No point having two similar players as him and Gopperth on the roster together.....;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

In all seriousness if Sexton was to return home next season we would have a situation where Ireland would have 5 top 10s across three teams. Not to mention the other up-and-comers Carty, Marsh etc. I wonder if there's any possibility of Keatley returning to Connacht.

Sexton
    Madigan

Jackson

Hanrahan
    Keatley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In all seriousness if Sexton was to return home next season we would have a situation where Ireland would have 5 top 10s across three teams. Not to mention the other up-and-comers Carty, Marsh etc. I wonder if there's any possibility of Keatley returning to Connacht.

Sexton
    Madigan

Jackson

Hanrahan
    Keatley

Top 10s? By world standards, only Sexton is outstanding. Jackson is coming along, Madigan has dropped off the curve for various reasons, Hanrahan is full of potential but Keatley has peaked and he is very average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Top 10s? By world standards, only Sexton is outstanding. Jackson is coming along, Madigan has dropped off the curve for various reasons, Hanrahan is full of potential but Keatley has peaked and he is very average.

OK out-halves who are good enough to be exposed at Pro12/Heineken Cup level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Only one sub in the match, on the Milan side :eek:

Did all players usually play the full 80?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Synode wrote: »
    Only one sub in the match, on the Milan side :eek:

Did all players usually play the full 80?

Tactical substitutions were not really used then no, injury or fatigue were the only real reasons for players coming off.

unless you there was an injury yeah

even then i'm not fully sure subs were allowed for injuries at some levels, you might have had to ask the opposition captain was he ok with the sub first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

stephen_n wrote: »
    Tactical substitutions were not really used then no, injury or fatigue were the only real reasons for players coming off.

only introduced in late 96

injuries were only reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Riskymove wrote: »

Memories dodgy thought they came in with the AIL but were still rarely used, forgot it was that late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Riskymove wrote: »

You had to be half dead before you'd come off too.

durkadurka wrote: »
    You had to be half dead before you'd come off too.

indeed...no blood substitutes

Hmmm why did they bold it that a full range of food and beverage facilities will be available from 3.30 - 6.30.......:pac:

The Luke Fitz situation really needs to be sorted. I'd actually be against him going on tour this Summer if fit as some sort of work has to be carried out to stop this injury from re-occuring.

It's not good for anyone to be monitored on a day to day basis for such a long time like this.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He really is your Ferris - I imagine having him available will become a luxury.

tbh if Fitz isn't playing more or less consistently he won't be picked given our options. He should be concentrating on playing for Leinster injury free first and foremost

Keatley isn't very average. He's no world beater but he's a good outhalf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Keatley isn't very average. He's no world beater but he's a good outhalf

Agreed, the way I see it any of Madigan, Keatly or Jackson would be playing for Wales, Italy or Scotland without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Well my argument would be the league isn't as poor as people make it out to be. We still have to compete with some top teams like Munster, Ulster, Ospreys and Glasgow and ofcourse teams like Scarlets, Connacht, Treviso are all capable of putting it up to us.

I like the league... but the fact is that isn't great. I mostly enjoy it from a development aspect, getting to see young players and seeing them flourish and improve. And that's good. But in terms of top quality matches- the play-offs are generally good and you get the odd big fixture where two full-strength teams play against each other. But there are still numerous problems, and if the Welsh exodus continues, it could be a disaster.

I would take Irish teams falling out of the play-offs if it meant a more competitive league all-round.

He's average if you compare him to Sexton, but he is a good HC-level out-half now, was excellent against Toulouse for example.

And we don't know for sure he's peaked, this is his 1st season as a starter in the HC, he could improve. I don't think he has as high a potential ceiling as Madigan/Jackson/Hanrahan but he's a good, creative player.

• Advertisement

Hahah, wut?

Hahah, wut?

Leinster supplement in Leinster
    Munster supplment in Munster

official media partner to both!!

I look forward to differing coverage ahead of derbys

So is the full title of musgrave park going to be "The Irish Independent Official Newspaper of Leinster Rugby Park"? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭thirteen.

So is the full title of musgrave park going to be "The Irish Independent Official Newspaper of Leinster Rugby Park"? :D

Oh how I'd love that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If Leinster want to donate something towards the sponsorship of the ground, we'd happily go along with that :)

SOB would do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Fireball07 wrote: »
    If Leinster want to donate something towards the sponsorship of the ground, we'd happily go along with that :)

SOB would do.

Platter of prawn sandwiches/antipasti and a case of prosecco?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

LEINSTER:
    15: Rob Kearney
    14: Zane Kirchner
    13: Brian O'Driscoll
    12: Noel Reid
    11: Darragh Fanning
    10: Jimmy Gopperth
    9: Isaac Boss
    1: Cian Healy
    2: Sean Cronin
    3: Martin Moore