Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going defacto on my girlfriends student visa

Options
  • 03-01-2014 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi all.
    My girlfriend's employer has offered to sponsor her after she does a 2yr course which she will need to get a student visa. Does anyone know if i can become de facto on her student visa or not? If so are my working rights changed or do they stay the same as they currently are on the whv?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Stormxv1 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    My girlfriend's employer has offered to sponsor her and suggested she does a 2yr course which she will need to get a student visa. Does anyone know if i can become defacto on her student visa or not? If so are my working rights changedor do they stay the same as they currently are on the whv?

Huh?

Why does she need a student visa if he is going to sponsor her? I'm assuming sponsor her on a 457?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Stormxv1

Whoops i got a bit mixed up. Her boss said she will sponsor her after she has done a childcare course.Ill edit the above post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

If you qualify as de facto (proof of genuine relationship, living together, joint lease/bills etc), then you can theoretically go on her student visa but you will be restricted to max 40 hours work per fortnight as will she.

To be honest a lot can happen in two years, the crèche could go bust, change hands, manager could move on. I wouldn't be banking on it as a legitimate career path unless she wants the qualification anyway (at a much higher cost than what she would pay in Ireland). Something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Stormxv1

Thanks for that Batgurl.
    She wanted the qualification but if we can only work 20 hrs each a week then that won't be enough to support us.

Advertisement