Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog reacts to smell of new leather

• 03-01-2014 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

I received a gift of a new leather handbag over Christmas, and my dog really reacted when I brought it back to the house. Before I even I opened the gift I knew it was leather because it smelled really strongly.

I've never her seen her act like this before, very spooked, She recoiled with tail between her legs, barked and growled (at the bag) and kept to the edge of the room, and tried to get away from it. I tried to help her make friends with it (!) talked softly to her, kept the bag held to me, gave her a treat if she came near it, encouraging her to check it out. She was not at all impressed.
    She saw me put it in the wardrobe, and now won't go near the bedroom!
    Has anyone else had their pet react this way to leather?

She’s about 10 years old, a LabX rescue, (from a home with an older owner, who died). We’ve had her 2.5 years now, and we’re still discovering her quirky ways.

I’m going to try to reduce the smell from the bag (it is very strong), but is there something else I should be doing, to help my poor pet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Not leather, but my grandparents had a dog terrified of the colour green on clothing. If you were wearing a green jumper she'd be no where near you, green cap, jacket etc. And would bark at you, too.

_____
    I think it's simply something she doesn't know, has never seen/smelled anything like it and is terrified.
    _
    Over Christmas I was wearing one of those reindeer headbands. My cat, was terrified, and would not come near me when I was wearing them. Took a lot of coaxing/treats, but she did relax over it.

Maybe try masking the smell? a perfume you wear/rub it in something/place your socks in it. So YOUR smell is there.
    This is just something I'd try, I don't know. And coaxing, showing it's safe, it''s ok.

Advertisement