Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2x new desktop towers - Windows 7

Options
  • 03-01-2014 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone knows were i could source 1 or 2 new desktop towers (without monitors) but must be with windows 7 operating systems

Tried Dell and the windows 7 works out 2004 more than windows 8 with half the spec

Reason windows 7 is the PC will be connected to a server and my IT lad said to stay with windows 7 system

Thanks

(If mods dont mind, if you attach links that would be great)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Can you not buy the hardware without any OS, and put Windows 7 on it yourself ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Tried Dell and the windows 7 works out 2004 more than windows 8 with half the spec

Also, when you said "tried Dell", do you mean you used their website to browse what was available?

I imagine if you rang up their sales dept directly, you might have more success in getting a comparable price for a PC with Windows 7....
    unless Microsoft is subsidizing PC hardware to force Windows 8 out to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Also, when you said "tried Dell", do you mean you used their website to browse what was available?

I imagine if you rang up their sales dept directly, you might have more success in getting a comparable price for a PC with Windows 7....
    unless Microsoft is subsidizing PC hardware to force Windows 8 out to people.

no I called them and they emailed me quotes so I could check the spec.

ill try your idea of buying a pc without the operating system so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Firblog

Give us an idea of the spec you're looking for.. take it you need Win 7 Pro?

Firblog wrote: »
    Give us an idea of the spec you're looking for.. take it you need Win 7 Pro?

just need it to operate sage line 50, accounts production, tas, collsoft,

then Microsoft office . nothing fancy like gaming spec.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Could ask in the pc building and upgrading section. Do up a lot of office builds there. You get parts twice the quality of Dell Pcs for the same cost.

could the mod move this to the pc guild section?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Just make a new thread and answer these questions

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

Advertisement