Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ninja Snow Risk - Saturday 4th Jan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

18z Hirlam still going for snowfall and also appears not just restricted to higher levels.

Appears to come as the precip intensifies as it heads north.

It also stalls over NI for some time, so if snow began to fall could be a few cms in places inland up there.

10am

201401031800-201401041000.png

12pm

201401031800-201401041200.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Based on the charts I'd like to be in the Mourne Mountains above 300m asl tomorrow :)

Well it will be a temp and precip watch come the morning, with the wind off the land it should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Well it will be a temp and precip watch come the morning, with the wind off the land it should help.

I agree... looks good for high levels in the east but still a nowcast setup.

Couldnt manage to get the day off work 2moro at this stage , so i have up until 12 to possibly enjoy some snow !

287215.png

Think an alarm to be set for 5.30 is in order! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

Snow in Cork.

Snow in Cork especially Cork City is a very rare event. North Cork has a much better chance. The cities that do best in Ireland for snow are Dublin and Belfast especially the suburbs of both and most especially when there is an East or North Easterly air flow. Dublin has done very well in recent years say from 2007 to presently. So far this year we have only had an hour of wet snow in Dublin 15. Then again there has been zero snow in Munich or Vilnius where friends of mine live.....mildest winter in Moscow for close to a hundred and twenty years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Ninja snow! Very hard to take this tread serious with a heading like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Does anyone know if we will have snow in Cork?

Despite all of the high winds that Cork has experienced of late and the damage these winds have caused, sadly the Cork Snow Shield was not blown away :p

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Just had a sleet shower here in south east Kerry that turned roads white,Quite thick also so snow might not be that far away.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Any snow bunnies still up should put on Sky news at 2.30 as they switch over to CBS news in the states.
    They'll be reporting on the big snow storm over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

lolie wrote: »
    Any snow bunnies still up should put on Sky news at 2.30 as they switch over to CBS news in the states.
    They'll be reporting on the big snow storm over there.

Cool... But i doubt it will be as good as the blizzard thats to hit dublin in the morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

torres9kop wrote: »
    Cool... But i doubt it will be as good as the blizzard thats to hit dublin in the morning

Think you might be a tad disappointed when you wake up in the morn so:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Monitoring event with bated breath :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Precip coming up from the south is looking rather heavy as it nears Dublin....intensifying all the time too. Looks the like the Dublin/Wicklow moutains are starting to get a pasting. Whether the midlands and other higher ground will too is questionable though. About 3c here so a little bit too high. Will be interesting to see if the precip will mean a rise in temp or a fall due to evaporative cooling. Can't sleep now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Raining here. Zzzzzzz

I have a feeling that's gonna be the case....the radar looks way to good for it to be snow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

If only this was snow. Very heavy rainy sleet for the last 15 minutes. A close shave, the heavy precip was proceeded by a few snowflakes blowing in the wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Ah places above 200 m should do well. Could be a nice dusting on hilltops come daybreak.

It looks like arriving quite soon here. John.Icy, whereabouts in Kildare are you and do you know what height above sea level you at?

Moving through quite swiftly so you'd say northeast areas at biggest risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

highdef wrote: »
    It looks like arriving quite soon here. John.Icy, whereabouts in Kildare are you and do you know what height above sea level you at?

I'm in the small southern tip area of Kildare. I say I'm around 60-70m asl.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I'm a tiny bit higher but not much and at the northern extreme of Kildare. Not sure if that will help though. Precip about to hit but it looks like the bulk will be just to my east.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just out of the leaba. Has passed through here without a sign of anything wintry...left 5.0mm in the rain gauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

It was very heavy rain at Dublin airport at about 0530...oh if that had been snow I could have gone home early today :(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Nothing here near Roundwood - only the very tops of the mountains behind us have a dusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

No ninja snow I take it......its like hearing that the tooth fairy doesn't exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Ninjasnow here. Big clouds coming in too

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

260m asl Dublin. No snow. Just lots of rain during the night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

two stupid questions...

On the 06z NAE there is snow at sea right around the west and south coasts. see dynamic link http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=6&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

1. Why doesnt this come ashore?

2. To the extent it does, why does it turn to rain upon landfall - isnt land colder this time of year?

Thanks in advance - its just you see this frequently at this time of year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Snow falling across parts of the north and north west according to Netweather

8C60C7F2-62A8-4592-8924-23BEA63D1A92-4433-000004193B6770DB_zpse0efc71c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭jimmyjim11

small shower here west limerick landed on car grass bit on road @290m

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement