Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Referee Mark Clattenburg investigated for abusive language

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,568 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Do you really think refs are told "If a player gives you abuse you must take it - do NOT give them a booking or send them off" ?

Although I do admit that at times it might appear that way

Not in those words, but referees who are seen to book more than others for dissent would be considered less able to control a game without using cards than other refs. They all referee the same ub the Prem because it's what is expected of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Ridiculous thing to report him over. Glad the premier league dismissed it.

Southampton win the 2014 precious award already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Do you really think refs are told "If a player gives you abuse you must take it - do NOT give them a booking or send them off" ?

Although I do admit that at times it might appear that way

It certainly appears that way......see the likes of Rooney (and he is not alone, I'm just using him as an example) fcuking and blinding at referees with impunity. It seems rich for players to complain when they get the slightest bit of cheek back in their direction. It's not professional on clattenburgs part, but Southampton need to man the **** up and quit embarrassing themselves with complaints like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If somebody said to Howard Webb "You've become very different now that you've reffed the World Cup final". Would Howard Webb make a complaint or book the player? Not a hope.

It is like a case of a student giving a teacher grief but when the teacher decided to give something innocous back, the student runs home to the parents and they are at the principals office the next day.

PS: I agree with micing the refs up to TV. I dont have a clue why they wont do it. I think they are still afraid of the repeat of the David Elleray thing

It is interesting from the video that it was just the Arsenal players giving the abuse and they were the ones that didnt know the mic was on the ref. The Milwall players didnt seem to say anything. The same with the end of the video when George Graham shut his mouth when he remembered about the mics and the camera.

Players and clubs are very concious about their public images nowadays. I feel you would rarely see refs being abused if the refs were mic'ed up. I think that would also filter down to lower level football and most importantly junior football thus increasing the amount of people willing to take up refereeing.

#ThingsThatUpsetAdamLellana is trending on Twitter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

If somebody said to Howard Webb "You've become very different now that you've reffed the World Cup final". Would Howard Webb make a complaint or book the player? Not a hope.

It is like a case of a student giving a teacher grief but when the teacher decided to give something innocous back, the student runs home to the parents and they are at the principals office the next day.

PS: I agree with micing the refs up to TV. I dont have a clue why they wont do it. I think they are still afraid of the repeat of the David Elleray thing

It is interesting from the video that it was just the Arsenal players giving the abuse and they were the ones that didnt know the mic was on the ref. The Milwall players didnt seem to say anything. The same with the end of the video when George Graham shut his mouth when he remembered about the mics and the camera.

Players and clubs are very concious about their public images nowadays. I feel you would rarely see refs being abused if the refs were mic'ed up. I think that would also filter down to lower level football and most importantly junior football thus increasing the amount of people willing to take up refereeing.

At first glance i thought you said mincing the refs up and thought of this guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

At first glance i thought you said mincing the refs up and thought of this guy.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Well you say that, but time and again we hear the complaint that referees are too stand-offish, that the best ref's are the ones that communicate and talk to the players.

I know I always preferred the ref's that actually spoke to me and acknowledged my existence, as opposed to the ones that just ignored you if you tried to ask them why something happened
    A ref can be informal and approachable (although personally I don't like that at the professional level) without making snide personal remarks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭abff

If I was a Southampton fan, I would be very very embarrassed by such a ridiculous complaint. Seriously??? Have you nothing better to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Can't blame them for standing up for their player, be it wrong or wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭abff

Can't blame them for standing up for their player, be it wrong or wrong.

I think you can blame them if they end up making fools of themselves and of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

abff wrote: »
    If I was a Southampton fan, I would be very very embarrassed by such a ridiculous complaint. Seriously??? Have you nothing better to do?

As a Saints fan I can assure you it is extremely embarrassing to see this on the news. It is simply a problem with Cortese and the way he runs the club. Clattenburg joins the list of St Mary's persona non grata (over various periods) with Lawrie McMenemy, Le Tiss, the Daily Echo, the head of a supporters club and every sports photographer in the world.

He's brought us billionaire owners in the Liebherr family and success year after year, but he really needs to pick his battles. Nonsense like this could unsettle players and do the team no favours with refs in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

According to the BBC Sport Twitter page, Clattenburg has being cleared over the incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Step One: only Captains can speak to referees, approaching the ref unsolicited without the band is an automatic yellow card;
    Step Two: refs now get mic'ed up;

Simple and uncontroversial changes that would have a huge positive effect.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Step One: only Captains can speak to referees, approaching the ref unsolicited without the band is an automatic yellow card;
    Step Two: refs now get mic'ed up;

Simple and uncontroversial changes that would have a huge positive effect.

That's too much common sense for FIFA's liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

It's this not getting blown out of proportion ,it was one incident!

Advertisement