Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dead laptop

• 03-01-2014 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My laptop was sitting there last night and the screen went a funny colour, as if the screen had smashed or something, so I gave the mouse a wiggle and the desktop came back, albeit at a bit of a lower resolution, or pixelated moreso. This happened twice so I just shut down the computer as normal.

I tried to turn it back on later that night and the screen stays black, the power comes on and it sounds like it engages the hard disk and then it just stays at high revs and nothing happens. A tip of the power button and it turns off again. No movement from that.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Have you a monitor around that you might be able to connect to your laptop in order to see if its a screen issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Knex. wrote: »
    Have you a monitor around that you might be able to connect to your laptop in order to see if its a screen issue?

Hrmm yeah I might be able to do that. However, from the sound of the laptop alone, I have a feeling its more!

OK so its not the screen, or at least, not just the screen. Hooked it up to my desktop monitor and no luck!

Any other ideas?

NoQuarter wrote: »
    OK so its not the screen, or at least, not just the screen. Hooked it up to my desktop monitor and no luck!

Any other ideas?

Doesn't sound good, I'm afraid. Could well mean an issue with GPU, probably through overheating.

Two things - Model of your laptop, and do you still have your warranty?

Also, how confident would you be of your ability to open it up and check that RAM hasn't popped loose? Doubt its that, but always worth a try.

Doesn't sound good, I'm afraid. Could well mean an issue with GPU, probably through overheating.

Two things - Model of your laptop, and do you still have your warranty?

Also, how confident would you be of your ability to open it up and check that RAM hasn't popped loose? Doubt its that, but always worth a try.

Its a HP Compaq nc6400. have had lots of problems with it overheating and performance was terrible because of that so I had a cooling pad sitting under it at all times. It helped a lot but performance was pretty awful. It was a second hand laptop and would be well out of warranty now.

I cant afford a new laptop yet (although I was going to get one anyway soon) but its annoying because I had a lot of work stuff on it. I assume the HD is ok and should be recoverable?

I would be ok with popping it open, it had been sat on my desk without moving for days though so I would be surprised if it was the RAM.

• Advertisement

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Its a HP Compaq nc6400. have had lots of problems with it overheating and performance was terrible because of that so I had a cooling pad sitting under it at all times. It helped a lot but performance was pretty awful. It was a second hand laptop and would be well out of warranty now.

I cant afford a new laptop yet (although I was going to get one anyway soon) but its annoying because I had a lot of work stuff on it. I assume the HD is ok and should be recoverable?

I would be ok with popping it open, it had been sat on my desk without moving for days though so I would be surprised if it was the RAM.

Harddrive should be fine, so no worries there.

Actually, keeping it plugged into the external monitor, if you turn laptop on, and immediately start pressing F12, does anything show up on the monitor for you?

Want to make sure before I rule it completely out.

Edit: Pressing fn + f4 should toggle between displays and may be reason why nothing showed first time

Harddrive should be fine, so no worries there.

Actually, keeping it plugged into the external monitor, if you turn laptop on, and immediately start pressing F12, does anything show up on the monitor for you?

Want to make sure before I rule it completely out.

Edit: Pressing fn + f4 should toggle between displays and may be reason why nothing showed first time

No nothing at all shows up, just the same as before.

I've tried fn + f4 now and still the same.

Thanks for this, I really appreciate your time.

Afraid I don't really know where to go from here, definitely seems like some hardware malfunction, be it the GPU or even the Motherboard itself frying. Hopefully its not as bad as that, but impossible for me to say without it in front of me.

Anyone else have any suggestions for the OP before he goes elsewhere for a fix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

yeah remove the battery and power lead leave it for a few minutes and then try it again with just the power lead plugged in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 williamdonohoe

Remove the battery plug in power cord and see does this work. If not is the unit over heating it could be a build up of dust. third graphic card apply heat with heat gun 50% of the time this works including it is the card thats the problem

• Advertisement
Advertisement