Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to put roaming (indoor/outdoor) cat on a diet?

• 03-01-2014 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭

So my poor cat is not looking good - very fat and it's affecting his pace.

I've bought dry cat food - special dietfood. It's going to be hard as he absolutely loves the whiskas (the gravy kind) and shouts and shouts until he gets it. But I figure if he is hungry enough he will eat it.

problem is that he has a few other houses in the estate that he sees as his too. And he's getting fed there (apparently shouts down the house there too).

We can call to neighbours we know but he goes to lots of places...and will just find somewhere new (he just walks into peoples houses and makes himself at home!!!!)

Anyone know of any tags that I can get for his collar that says "please don't feed me I'm on a diet/special food?
    it would need to stand out/be evident.
    He has a little bandana that he wears sometimes and I was going to stitch s9mething on that.
    I dont want to embarress or degrade him also though.

Any advice please??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I got that exact tag from pettag.co.uk for one of our chaps. He's also on Applaws dry food. The Applaws is 80% protein 20% veg and as far as I can tell by comparing labels, it's got less carbs than diet dry food as it has no grain in it. It's not cheap but we buy it from Zooplus.uk and all 4 of our cats love it. We'll be putting the foster kitten on the kitten version soon too. It smells quite strong and one of my cats only has to hear the rattle of it to come running for some.

We also take the dry food up at night so they aren't grazing on it. Felix just got so big from grazing on food here and at some of our neighbours that we have to do something before he hits the 10kg mark:eek::o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Thanks guys!

Exactly what I was looking. Visible, but at the same time discreet looking so he's not walking around with a big sign on his neck.

I'll look in the petshop for it and if they don't have one I'll order from amazon. Thank you again!

Whoa pumpkinseeds - Felix sounds like a big lad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

amdublin wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

Exactly what I was looking. Visible, but at the same time discreet looking so he's not walking around with a big sign on his neck.

I'll look in the petshop for it and if they don't have one I'll order from amazon. Thank you again!

Whoa pumpkinseeds - Felix sounds like a big lad :)
    He is, I wish I knew which neighbour/neighbours are feeding him. Christ knows what they were giving him to put on so much weight so fast. It's not like he looks neglected or like a stray. I know that whoever they are are doing it out of kindness but they wouldn't be the ones having to deal with potential diabetes and the other weight associated diseases he could develop. I've seen these collar attachments that have an app that tells you where your cat is, even if it's indoors. I'm very tempted to get one and find whose house he's going to so that I can confront them and tell them to stop feeding him:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I had this problem too and put up a few posters saying "if you see me please don't feed me, I'm sick and need special food, but I would still like a few rubs"
    It worked a bit, I also changed to a grain free food.
    Sadly that cat passed away a few years ago, but his brother lost a noticeable amount of weight on applaws, he wasn't that heavy but looks slimmer now, even the cat that was always slim looks more trim and healthy.
    I also tried to keep him in as much as I could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I use these tags http://www.identitag.co.uk/productcart/pc/Plastic-Pet-Tags-c5.htm
    The plastic ones are very lightweight and durable and fit a lot of letters on them to put whatever you want on there. I'v had two for a few years now and no sign of any wear and tear, recently ordered two more for a new addition and very happy with the service. Works out at about a fiver each including delivery and they normally arrive two or three days later. I'v three red ones and a yellow one, the yellow one with black lettering really stands out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

VonVix wrote: »
    Lol, you're not embarrassing him if you're looking out for his health! Have you considered Amazon? "please do not feed me" sounds polite!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=do%20not%20feed%20cat%20collar&sprefix=do+not+feed+%2Caps%2C163&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ado%20not%20feed%20cat%20collar

Ordered!

Advertisement