Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Work Masters

Options
  • 03-01-2014 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,

I'm want to do a social work masters and I have read some really informative threads on boards but one thing I haven't seemed to come across the pro's and con's of UCD, TCD, UCC, and NUIG. Not likely to apply this year, but would like to get a better idea for next year.

I know that the competition to get a place on these courses is fierce, but it would be great to know how each college differs. But not necessarily which one is better.

How do they compare in terms of practice vs theory? Do they all have about the same level theory?

What about employ-ability? Are some college better suited for one type of work after wards?

Which has the better rep, prestige? Or are they all pretty much the same?

Is there a difference between the level of support the college's provide?

Also, how does a good UK college/university compare to whats on offer from Ireland? It seems that you don't need to have the same amount of Social Policy content in your BA. Is this a good thing? Obviously an MA in the UK would put you at a disadvantage in terms of knowledge of Irish Law, but aside from that would you be at much more of a disadvantage in studying for a degree there?

through my work experience and knowledge to date I'm set on a career in social work, and I am trying to explore the ways of getting the necessary qualification as quick as possible.

Any help much appreciated -thanks and Happy new year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 midsker

Hey there,

I can't comment on the UCD / Trinity debate as I studied in the UK. However, studying in the UK doesn't put you at any disadvantage from what I can see and a few others who I have worked with have also studied in the UK and found it to be a good experience, like myself and had no problems securing work here.

I actually completed my course via distance learning and it is a great help if you want to continue in employment in Ireland and study towards your BA / Masters at the same time. As long as you get registered with CORU, it doesn't really seem to matter, from what I have gathered, where you study.

PM if you need any advice etc.

fagosteph wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm want to do a social work masters and I have read some really informative threads on boards but one thing I haven't seemed to come across the pro's and con's of UCD, TCD, UCC, and NUIG. Not likely to apply this year, but would like to get a better idea for next year.

I know that the competition to get a place on these courses is fierce, but it would be great to know how each college differs. But not necessarily which one is better.

How do they compare in terms of practice vs theory? Do they all have about the same level theory?

What about employ-ability? Are some college better suited for one type of work after wards?

Which has the better rep, prestige? Or are they all pretty much the same?

Is there a difference between the level of support the college's provide?

Also, how does a good UK college/university compare to whats on offer from Ireland? It seems that you don't need to have the same amount of Social Policy content in your BA. Is this a good thing? Obviously an MA in the UK would put you at a disadvantage in terms of knowledge of Irish Law, but aside from that would you be at much more of a disadvantage in studying for a degree there?

through my work experience and knowledge to date I'm set on a career in social work, and I am trying to explore the ways of getting the necessary qualification as quick as possible.

Any help much appreciated -thanks and Happy new year

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Rower2

The courses in Ireland have the same criteria to meet over the two years. It depends on your result rather than what college you went to and of course how you do in your first interview

• Registered Users Posts: 10 deccdn

Hi there,

I'm Canadian and starting to research options for a Masters of Social work both in Canada and in Ireland/UK. I have my Honours BA in Sociology (4 year degree) from a Canadian University, spent 1 semester studying abroad at the University of Limerick.

For those who have completed the MSW or MA in Social Work, did you have many international students in your course? Any Canadians? I see that it's a very competitive course, but I'm hoping my degree and work experience (4 years working within youth justice, 2 as an employment counsellor) would still allow me to be considered and not an automatic rejection.

I was originally only looking at schools with MSW programs as that is what the program is called here. But from my research, it seems that they are very similiar. I've already been in touch with the regulatory bodies here in Ontario and Canada that reviews international qualifications in order to be come a registered social worker. I haven't received much feedback about the MA in Social Work, so I'm a tad iffy about that one. I'm not looking at the program this year, but hopefully 2015.

I'd appreciate any feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 k_t11

Hi,

I studied Social Work in Scotland and graduated in June 2013. I felt the content in Scotland is alot more practical based - I found this out having spoken to social work students in different masters programmes here. Also the work placements are slightly longer. I was able to do my work placements in Ireland so this helped in the Irish Law and Policy side of things and I was very aware of keeping up to date with what was going on in Ireland as I always planned on coming back to work here. Also in Scotland the Masters is usually funded if your from Ireland although I know courses are now taking on students who self fund and its a case of the top 20 get funded. funding is not as clear cut in England and some courses are not funded, welsh courses are funded.

The other side of the coin is you have to get recognised by CORU to practice here and that costs 410e. Its a fairly long application form but only takes about four weeks to process. My degree has been recognised by CORU.

Advertisement