Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To keep her or not ?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

Is there anyway that the Ikc (or someone) could contact the owners of the other pups in the litter and see if all the pups suffer from ill health or was the OP very unlucky?
    OP did your wife see the other pups when selecting this one?

I was just thinking that if all the new owbers are having problems and all collectively agreed to return the pups that would probably but the breeder out of business.
    Hi she seen all the pubs yes and believe there was 9 pups in total so there are other people out there with pups with same conditions .

Rommie wrote: »
    OP are you still going to take half of the refunded price from the breeder? To be honest, if you're going to keep the pup, I would push for it. Might make the breeder realise that he can't get away with breeding from unhealthy lines too easily

I am indeed and maybe more when we speak .

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Allknowing

madred006 wrote: »
    I am indeed and maybe more when we speak .

And become an irresponsible breeder yourself ?

Allknowing wrote: »
    And become an irresponsible breeder yourself ?
    How so .

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Allknowing

How so .

A Christmas puppy bought with no research into, and a complete surprise, may be returned as you cannot breed with your male. Sounds like backyard breeder to me.

Maybe you have a good reason you want to breed , other than money?

Not to mention the puppy having an eye issue, which you bathe for a week instead of seeking a vets help.

• Advertisement

Allknowing wrote: »
    A Christmas puppy bought with no research into, and a complete surprise, may be returned as you cannot breed with your male. Sounds like backyard breeder to me.

Maybe you have a good reason you want to breed , other than money?

Not to mention the puppy having an eye issue, which you bathe for a week instead of seeking a vets help.

A deposit was paid in in October for puppy , it was not an impulse but at all .Secondly her eyes were cleaned each day untill my vet reopened I done no harm to the puppy .Thirdly money don't enter equation ,I'd like to breed a litter of bernese at some stage maybe never I don't know but I'd ask you to stop you silly insinuations re; backyard breeder .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

3 if I decide to breed in z few years well and good if not no harm done il keep pup and get her eyes done repair the hernia and have her spayed that will help her live a little longer too so happy days . Thanks to all who replied to this especially jim for your help cheers .

What is this need for breeding. There really is none.

You do realize that the dog pounds are full to the brim of abandoned dogs many of which who started their lives too with ailments and nuances from wreck-less breeding. Many of these poor animals will NEVER find a home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Okay all,
    That's enough of the nitpicking, which is bringing the thread off-topic. This is, of course, an emotive issue, but making wild accusations does not make for a convincing style of debate.
    This is a final warning. Please stay on topic from now on.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Got first op sorted on her eyes , so glad I made the right decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Little sweetie..:-)
    how is she doing? How are you guys doing? Any help from ikc or breeder etc.....?

• Advertisement

Little sweetie..:-)
    how is she doing? How are you guys doing? Any help from ikc or breeder etc.....?

She is flying it a real character she had op on Thursday , not impressed with collor lol , iv sent vet report to IKC and informed them of the breeding lines so see what comes of it .breeder refunded me some of the cost and apologised, I asked him if any other buyers contacted him and he said no ,also told him I was informing kennel club and he told me he was neutering his bitch , so hopefully some good come out of it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Aw she's a gorgeous little thing (little for now!) hopefully it's all good news from here, good luck with her :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Best of luck and wishing your doggie a speedy recovery. Poor wee thing, I couldn't bring myself to return her even though I completely understand why other posters said you should and what they say makes sense but when you bond and form an attachment it's just too hard.

Great news about the breeder spaying this bitch. I presume if you decide to go down the breeding route it won't be with this puppy and you will be armed with information to do it right.

Best of luck and wishing your doggie a speedy recovery. Poor wee thing, I couldn't bring myself to return her even though I completely understand why other posters said you should and what they say makes sense but when you bond and form an attachment it's just too hard.

Great news about the breeder spaying this bitch. I presume if you decide to go down the breeding route it won't be with this puppy and you will be armed with information to do it right.

Firstly thanks for reply , and secondly won't be breeding her no she has hernia op at 6 months and have her spayed aswell and am awaiting hip score results from my dog so that will determine if I breed at all , but I had 3 people call me in last week to have their bitch serviced by him and I refused all three .iv joined the bernese society and see if what results are and then only breed with members of same . I hope this is the right thing to do , and I do feel for the other pups in the litter and hope people went back and demanded a partial refund at least .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Firstly thanks for reply , and secondly won't be breeding her no she has hernia op at 6 months and have her spayed aswell and am awaiting hip score results from my dog so that will determine if I breed at all , but I had 3 people call me in last week to have their bitch serviced by him and I refused all three .iv joined the bernese society and see if what results are and then only breed with members of same . I hope this is the right thing to do , and I do feel for the other pups in the litter and hope people went back and demanded a partial refund at least .

You're a responsible person OP, kudos to you. I hope you get lots of love back from your puppy. As for the other pups... you may see a batch of dodgy eyed pups in nearby pounds soon, that's how irresponsible some people are.

Well done. Sounds like you are being very responsible about the whole breeding situation but I'm sorry you had to learn such a hard lesson.
    I hope your puppy makes a full recovery and can lead a normal life without illness.
    My dog is from a bad breeder. We were naive when we got her and although I had loads of research done on training/toilet training/behaviour etc I didn't realise how to identify a good breeder. I love my dog but I'm constantly afraid of something happening to her and I get seriously worried if she is anyways unwell as she has nearly died twice from allergic reactions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Are you planning on having her spayed at 6 months when she gets the hernia op? If so that's too young for a larger breed dog like her - it's best to let them have one season and give them time to grow before closing growth plates early. Trust me - you don't want growth plate/joint problems on top of everything else(!).

tk123 wrote: »
    Are you planning on having her spayed at 6 months when she gets the hernia op? If so that's too young for a larger breed dog like her - it's best to let them have one season and give them time to grow before closing growth plates early. Trust me - you don't want growth plate/joint problems on top of everything else(!).

Hi , I'm just saying what vet was , but it makes sense to put it off for a while thanks for that anything that may prevent joint problems is a good thing .

Well done. Sounds like you are being very responsible about the whole breeding situation but I'm sorry you had to learn such a hard lesson.
    I hope your puppy makes a full recovery and can lead a normal life without illness.
    My dog is from a bad breeder. We were naive when we got her and although I had loads of research done on training/toilet training/behaviour etc I didn't realise how to identify a good breeder. I love my dog but I'm constantly afraid of something happening to her and I get seriously worried if she is anyways unwell as she has nearly died twice from allergic reactions.

Thanks for that , well I'm going to try because if it prevents problems it's a good thing even I was worried when she was having the op done and I asked myself over and over was I doing right thing but hopefully she be healthy and happy from now on .

Here is one of the two of them playing he is terrified of the collor on her !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

tk123 wrote: »

My understanding was that spaying before sexual maturity delays closure of the bone plates?

Here is one of the two of them playing he is terrified of the collor on her !

beautiful dogs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

boomerang wrote: »
    My understanding was that spaying before sexual maturity delays closure of the bone plates?

Yeah I thought so too but it was my vet who told me that! I'd already decided to wait because I've been 'slow growing' my pup to try and avoid any joint issues ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Hrmm.

Iv slow growed my first dog and he got no walks untill he was over a year old lucky in that iv a biggish type garden and I think they do enough running and moving if played with on a daily basis , amazing to think 1 vet would say spay her at 6 months an another the opposite thanks for information, on this .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Iv slow growed my first dog and he got no walks untill he was over a year old lucky in that iv a biggish type garden and I think they do enough running and moving if played with on a daily basis , amazing to think 1 vet would say spay her at 6 months an another the opposite thanks for information, on this .

its probably one of the most discussed topics on pet/dog forums

when is the best time to spay

Advertisement