Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beko Fridge Freezer Break

Options
  • 03-01-2014 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if y'all could give opinions on the following.

I bought a fridge freezer exactly 3 and a half years ago, it stopped working completely defrosted itself over 3-4 hours.

I rang the manufacturer and they said unfortunately I have no rights and i'd have to get it repaired myself.

I told the representative 3 and a half years didn't seem like a lot to get out of a fridge, but she said they only cover first year.

What are my rights?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You pay for an out of guarantee repair. Pretty standard guarantee is one year labour three years parts. Beyond that it should be repairable for another 2-5 years after which you would expect to have to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You need to contact the retailer, as that is where your contract of sale lies. The retailer has legal obligations to you, the manufacturer does not.

Personally, I don't 3.5 years is an appropriate life time for a fridge freezer, but I don't know how yours has been treated etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,997 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Make sure its actually dead.

I assumed my Beko was dead and got a replacement, Turns out a certain someone had covered the vent section at the top of the kitchen units with boxes of goods and this prevented the fridge working as thermostat was tripping due to overheating.

Check the venting of the rear of the fridge to make sure its adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

Thanks all for the information. Unfortunately I bought it from Flor Griffin and they went out of business a few months after I bought my machine. I thought i'd get at least 5 years from this fridge.

Listermint, I had kids arts stuff on top, just took them all off now, thanks for tip.

It seems to be powering on when I plug it in then the fan cuts out after a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Unfortunately as the warranty has expired and the retailer no longer exists you're on your own. You could search the internet for similar symptoms with this model or fridge-freezers in general to see if there are any DIY fixes, but ultimately you may have to call in the pros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,075 ✭✭✭✭L1011

listermint wrote: »
    Make sure its actually dead.

I assumed my Beko was dead and got a replacement, Turns out a certain someone had covered the vent section at the top of the kitchen units with boxes of goods and this prevented the fridge working as thermostat was tripping due to overheating.

Check the venting of the rear of the fridge to make sure its adequate.

Also worth cleaning any crud off the grille on the back, but this sounds more like a thermostat issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

Just to give an update, cleared the fans out last night and took arts stuff from top of fridge, turned it back on and it started up on it's own after about 20 minutes. I'm crossing my fingers now since, no issue today! Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement