Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insurance irregularity

Options
  • 03-01-2014 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'll make this as concise and understandable as I can. My car was stolen from outside the family home about a month ago. House was broken into (forced entry), keys stolen for both mine and family members cars, and the cars stolen - 3 in total. To date my car has not been recovered.

There's been a lot of the expected pulling teeth with my insurer, and today they tell me that there's been irregularities in my claim and an investigator has been appointed. No details about these irregularties were forthcoming from my insurer.

However, I believe I know the source of the irregularity. At the time of the car being stolen, I beleive I told the Gardai that arrived after the theft about the stolen key from the house used to take the car. To the insurer on the same morning I said I had only had one key (when I had actually two), with one still in my possession (my spare) , which I agreed to send to them. Only in retrospect did I note my innaccuracy, and I was bit all over the shop on the phone to be honest.

Does this put my claim in jeopardy? Granted, it doesn't look great, but o be honest,I feel like I've been given a serious runaround by this crowd and now they're going to hammer me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Hi folks,

I'll make this as concise and understandable as I can. My car was stolen from outside the family home about a month ago. House was broken into (forced entry), keys stolen for both mine and family members cars, and the cars stolen - 3 in total. To date my car has not been recovered.

There's been a lot of the expected pulling teeth with my insurer, and today they tell me that there's been irregularities in my claim and an investigator has been appointed. No details about these irregularties were forthcoming from my insurer.

However, I believe I know the source of the irregularity. At the time of the car being stolen, I beleive I told the Gardai that arrived after the theft about the stolen key from the house used to take the car. To the insurer on the same morning I said I had only had one key (when I had actually two), with one still in my possession (my spare) , which I agreed to send to them. Only in retrospect did I note my innaccuracy, and I was bit all over the shop on the phone to be honest.

Does this put my claim in jeopardy? Granted, it doesn't look great, but o be honest,I feel like I've been given a serious runaround by this crowd and now they're going to hammer me.

Who did you send key to? Did you tell insurer it was robbed without a key? Did you fill a claim form or any paperwork?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Insurance companies are keen to avoid unnecessary payouts, or payouts that are unnecessarily large. So it makes sense that they look hard at claims.

The key question is whether your mistake about the key was in any way material. In my non-expert opinion it was not. If that is the supposed irregularity, I think they have no justification for rejecting your claim.

I would wonder, though, if they are considering something else. The sort of confusion you describe would hardly raise flags with the insurer. But I still would not worry too much: so long as you did not mislead the insurance company when taking out the policy, or about the true extent of your loss, I would expect them to examine your claim with the aid of their investigator, and then settle with you.

Advertisement