Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss Said i can't book my holiday for next year.

Options
  • 03-01-2014 7:21pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2

Hey I work in a big name shop and today i asked my boss about booking a holiday for December 27th 2014 and was told she would "try" put me down for it but said "You Probably won't get it" I don't know how this is fair as it's almost a whole year away and a person I work went on holidays on December 27th 2013 and that wasn't a problem. anyone got any advice for me????

Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

What advice are you looking for?

There is no obligation to provide you with a specific day off: holidays are always going to be subject to the employers needs, not the staff members. I'd imagine, if you're working in retail, that's going to be one very busy day so of course they might not want to have employees out.

The person who got it off last year may have only been given exactly the same provisional "you may get it off" when they requested it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I know if someone handed me a holiday request for next Christmas now I'd give it back and say come back in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

You're looking for time off at Xmas and you work in retail. Do you not see the glaringly obvious problem here?

Most retail have a holiday ban this time of year. You're boss is being excpetionally nice even trying to get it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Nody wrote: »
    I know if someone handed me a holiday request for next Christmas now I'd give it back and say come back GO in August.

Fixed your post. No reason that holiday can be booked well in advance, it's dead easy to predict your business in retail. Obviously thats the crux of the issue, it's bloody busy!

Advertisement