Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Testing electrolytic capacitors

• 03-01-2014 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm working on fixing a guitar effects pedal, going through the circuit board compoents, it seems there could be 2 blown electrolytic caps. When hooked up to my digital multimeter, they both read about 50K ohms, they should read infinite, right? (The other electro caps on the board do). The caps are 10pF and 470pF.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

If they're bulging in any way then they are most likely leaking current when in circuit and heating up as a result. Better off replacing to be sure.

Check out this free ebook on testing components - it's very handy!

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/te_interactive_index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Thanks for that, replacing them is the way I was thinking alright.

Out of interest, what would usually cause these to go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

10pf and 470pf will not be electrolytic caps, more than likely a ceramic cap. Can you post a pic.

Electrolytics go for all different reasons, may have been poor quality to begin with or poor design stressing them.

Unlikely to be pushing large amounts of power in this application, so doubt they were stressed.

If I had to guess I'd say you've some bad solder somewhere, possibly on a larger component.

Thanks for that! Here's a pic of the board (possible culprits circled):

1mCc3D0.jpg

Looking at the back of the pcb, there's not really any bad solder joints as far as I can see. And the caps don't look too deformed / leaking from what i can see. When connected to a power supply the "on" led lights up, so the power supply isn't the issue.

Edit: I don't think they're electrolytic caps after, just plain old disk caps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Why do you think they are faulty? There probably other resistors / components on the circuit board that will affect any readings you try take directly.

Can you get a schematic?

Check pots, audio connectors... examine all solder joints with a magnifying glass, may be small cracks or dry (dull) joints...

• Advertisement

Sure thing, here's a schematic:

GaydV4V.jpg?1

To be honest, I though it was the capacitors at first as they were not showing infinite resistance, though now looking at the schematic and digging around, they're in parallel with resistors, so the resistance I was getting there was probably related to those. The fact that there were no obvious bad solder joints led me to start poking around and checking each component, and when I saw the capacitors weren't going to infinity I thought that was the problem.

For what it's worth, I've checked each resistor and diode, and they all seem to be fine too. Though it seems Q2 is part of the long black (semiconductor, I think?) at the bottom of my picture (the one with the BA15218 on it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

Whats wrong with it ?

Does the check light do anything. Do you have all the power supply voltages correct?

Advertisement