Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

green fireball over kildare/laois?

Options
  • 03-01-2014 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

hi just wondering if anyone else saw a green comet / fireball in the sky over mid lands this evening?
    it was inbetween 17:35 - 17:40, i am in Kildare and saw it over the Laois direction, so it could even have been as far over as Offaly, I'm assuming the roads were busy at that hour so there must have been other people who saw it? I am intrigued as I googled "green fireballs" to see if they were common, as id never seen or heard of them before. and found this wiki article which is interesting
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_fireballs

so please let me know if anyone else heard of it or saw it personally!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 toothbrush

Hi John, I saw it ! I was near rathcoffy. It looked white to me with a pinky trail. i wasn't sure what it was, I kind of expected it to hit the ground some where in the distance.
    Glad someone else saw it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

toothbrush wrote: »
    Hi John, I saw it ! I was near rathcoffy. It looked white to me with a pinky trail. i wasn't sure what it was, I kind of expected it to hit the ground some where in the distance.
    Glad someone else saw it!

Can't believe you saw it three times, and I missed it entirely!!!

:D

endacl wrote: »
    Can't believe you saw it three times, and I missed it entirely!!!

:D

I'm new lol. It just keeps re appearing, I don't know what I'm doing!
    This will probably do the same.
    It was pretty cool tho, shame you missed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Got a text off a friend, he seen it too, in Kildare.

Seems to have been bright enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭john d nevin

nice one!! im delighted other people saw it, wen u see somethin like that ya kinda think "surely im not the only one..." . thats funny it was white/pinky to u, it was a very green to me... I am in south kildare and i saw it in the sky over Monasterevi n/ Slieve Bloom mts direction, it was dark so hard to tell how far away it was! itd be worth a few quid if it landed too!

• Advertisement

toothbrush which direction did it land for u?? im assuming from rathcoffy it was south west ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fuzzy2184

I saw a green fire ball in the sky near Portumna looked like it fell in the direction of Gort

cheers fuzzy, ok so it was way more west that originally anticiapated! :D

could well have been out in the atlantic if thats the case! this reminds me of the perspecitve explanation "these are small... but the ones out there, are far away" on Father Ted

Gort is nearly 100 miles from where toothbrush saw it in north kildare, it must have been a big 'un alrite!!

• Advertisement

toothbrush which direction did it land for u?? im assuming from rathcoffy it was south west ?

Hi, I'm not too sure apart from West direction. I was driving and rathcoffey is the village of 90 deg bends :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 oi softlad

Quantinids meteor shower tonight, worth keeping an eye out for some more

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

"White and Pinky you say"

Sound's like it's the coming of our Lord

• Registered Users Posts: 39 acia

I saw green fireball in Navan about 5.40pm thought it was a firework

• Registered Users Posts: 11 knewbie

Just saw a very bright green meteor streaking from North to South over Co. Clare at around 10.05pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

Saw what I thought was a green firework coming down over liffey valley shopping centre this evening at about 5.40. Could it have been the same object (small or far away...)?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jenry

hi just wondering if anyone else saw a green comet / fireball in the sky over mid lands this evening?
    it was inbetween 17:35 - 17:40, i am in Kildare and saw it over the Laois direction, so it could even have been as far over as Offaly, I'm assuming the roads were busy at that hour so there must have been other people who saw it? I am intrigued as I googled "green fireballs" to see if they were common, as id never seen or heard of them before. and found this wiki article which is interesting
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_fireballs

so please let me know if anyone else heard of it or saw it personally!

Hi, yes I saw it too. I'm in Dublin 11 , I had just got off the bus and I saw a big green meteor, looking Southwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Spotted as we were driving out of Trim in Meath this evening too, looked pretty amazing, glad others saw it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I saw something that I assumed to be a distress flare coming out of rosslare about 5.30.

Is it one thing or many little things.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭4th horsemen

Just now 00.15 Was out the back garden and also seen A Green fireball meteor type thing at low altitude streaking nearly straight down, Am in Galway and seemed to be going down in the direction of Athlone but more than likely didn't hit earth at all.

could be debris burning up in our atmosphere.

Stood out a lot more and was way brighter than a meteor that you'd see streaming across the sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Crap, Just when I saw this thread I remembered I saw it too. I was driving from Kildare to Carlow and was just about to hit nurney village and it was on my rhs. It hit at exactly 5.37. Only watched the ch4 program about the Russian shower the other night so maybe it is time for a dash cam

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭4th horsemen

Ah, as mentioned by Oi Softlad, it is the Quantinids meteor shower,
    and it peaks Friday which would explain it.

http://www.space.com/24141-quadrantid-meteor-shower-peaks-friday.html

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

Saw a huge green meteor down here in the south at exactly 00:10am. Actually thought it was lightning initially as it literally lit the entire night sky heading north! Really an incredible sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

the one at approx 5:30 is being widely reported.No reports of anyone hearing any sonic booms though so this thing never got close, likely ended up in the Atlantic if anything dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 guysmiley

I was driving south on the M7 approaching Portlaoise direction and also saw it. Seemed white to me and larger than what a star appears to be in the sky. Quite bright and seemed to disappear after travelling south across the sky. I assumed it burned and disintegrated on entering the athmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I'm not sure The Royal Scam, it could well have been! great there was so many views, and given how widespread the views were, would suggest it was a decent size!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

no it definitely wasn't the small asteroid.

on a side note the fella who discovered that one (Richard Kowalski) also discovered the first ever asteroid to be tracked from space to its' landing area in Sudan in 2008.Became known as the meteorite called Almahata Sitta

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=48915

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Alibaba21

Hi, can't believe I found this on boards.... have been "googling" what I saw and couldn't find anything but have found it now. I live in Allenwood Village, North Kildare and saw a white light heading Southwest yesterday evening. I thought I was seeing things :-) My poor hubby is always on the lookout for such things and can't believe he missed it :-(

• Advertisement

hi Alibaba... yeah i couldnt find anything on google either, i reported it to astronomy Ireland and thought posting about it here would be next best thing! I am in south Kildare and saw it quite clearly, but wasn't sure if I imagined it either as it was at the side of my vision! I am similar i am often out photographing the night sky, typical something like that would go by when nothing was set up!

Advertisement