Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training room / space required

Options
  • 03-01-2014 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I wonder if anyone can help with this. I am looking for a training room somewhere in Galway that can accommodate 20 or so people. It would need to have an overhead projector and whiteboard.

We are a small voluntary group and are providing some tutorials for free so we're ideally looking for a place to hire for maybe 1 or 2 nights that won't cost too much. A small lecture room would be ideal but looking at GMIT and NUIG websites, I can see nothing that mentions hiring space to the general public.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

dnme wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone can help with this. I am looking for a training room somewhere in Galway that can accommodate 20 or so people. It would need to have an overhead projector and whiteboard.

We are a small voluntary group and are providing some tutorials for free so we're ideally looking for a place to hire for maybe 1 or 2 nights that won't cost too much. A small lecture room would be ideal but looking at GMIT and NUIG websites, I can see nothing that mentions hiring space to the general public.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Any of the hotels would be able to sort you out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Any of the hotels would be able to sort you out

But they'd be expensive. As per my post above, I'm asking is there anywhere offered cheaply / community based. VEC etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

what kind of budget are you working within?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Possibly one of the community centres?
    I think the one around the side from Joyces in Knockers have rooms.
    Older thread

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It would need to have an overhead projector and whiteboard.

What exactly do you mean by "overhead projector" - one of the really old-fashioned things that display acetate transparencies?

Or do you really mean a data projector, ie one which plugs into a computer? I'm guessing this is more likely ... but does it need to have VGA or HDMI input? For a while this question didn't matter. But increasingly laptops only have HDMI ports, so older projectors that are not HDMI are useless. OTOH, if you're working from an older laptop, a new digital only projector is equally useless. There are converters, but from what I've read, results aren't always great for all programs.

All that said, if you could just take your own projector (one that you've borrowed from somewhere and have a chance to test out beforehand) rather than looking for a venue with one, it would make finding a cheap room easier. In that case, try the GAA clubs, community centres, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

Western Management Center in Dangan might be an option. You can check out their rates here:
    http://www.wmcgalway.com/menu.asp?menu=14&parent=0&item=0004

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Westside Resource Centre beside the library in westside would have rooms that are suitable at a pretty good rate, or any of the resource centres for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

The Galway Resource Centre (located in St. Clares Walk next to the Library) has a training room.

The Galway Technology Centre (next to the Bank of Ireland in Mervue) also has a room, but I'm not sure if it's large enough.

You could also try the Galway Education Centre in Wellpark. Their room is large enough but may not be free for 2 days.

The Gray Office Park in Ballybrit also rents rooms.

What exactly do you mean by "overhead projector" - one of the really old-fashioned things that display acetate transparencies?

Or do you really mean a data projector, ie one which plugs into a computer? I'm guessing this is more likely ... but does it need to have VGA or HDMI input? For a while this question didn't matter. But increasingly laptops only have HDMI ports, so older projectors that are not HDMI are useless. OTOH, if you're working from an older laptop, a new digital only projector is equally useless. There are converters, but from what I've read, results aren't always great for all programs.

All that said, if you could just take your own projector (one that you've borrowed from somewhere and have a chance to test out beforehand) rather than looking for a venue with one, it would make finding a cheap room easier. In that case, try the GAA clubs, community centres, etc.

Just an overhead projector to project my laptop. Laptop can do VGA or HDMI.

what kind of budget are you working within?

It's a voluntary tutorial that we plan to run over one or two evenings. It's free to attendees so I'd be looking for a room that is as cheap as possible although I don't mind paying some sorta contribution. I'm very new to this so I have no idea what a room might cost normally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's a voluntary tutorial that we plan to run over one or two evenings. It's free to attendees so I'd be looking for a room that is as cheap as possible although I don't mind paying some sorta contribution. I'm very new to this so I have no idea what a room might cost normally.

Evenings means that a number of the commercial venues suggested above won't be open.

Is there some sort of existing charity that you could hook up with, and use their facilities? eg a church, sports club, etc? It's sounding to me like you won't be able to afford the commercial venues.

Also, do you have or will you get public liability insurance, or will you epect to be covered by the venue's policy? Worth clarifying this ... all you need is one troublemaker spraining an ankle and it can open up a lot of bother for you.

Advertisement