Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Craft beer in Edinburgh

Options
  • 03-01-2014 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Hey peps, looks like I'll be heading to Edinburgh for a stag do in May, just wondering if anyone can guide me to brew pubs or pubs that serve craft beer, thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

Hey peps, looks like I'll be heading to Edinburgh for a stag do in May, just wondering if anyone can guide me to brew pubs or pubs that serve craft beer, thanks in advance

there's a brew dog beside the three sisters & a lot of the proper independent pubs would serve cask ales etc

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

try this thread on the beoir forum for suggestions. I was there recently and only really made it to the Bow Bar which was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Brauhus in Tollcross is good, any of the Brass Monkeys (one off Drummond Street is the best), the Vintage in Leith, pretty much all Scottish pubs have a great variety of cask ales as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yep you'll be spoilt for choice really.
    Teuchters on William Street, Queens Arms on Hanover Street do cask ales that change regularly.
    Hanging Bat on Lothian Road has its own micro brewery I believe, they sell smaller glasses than your usual pint, it's a 3/4 pint really but you can get 5 for £10.

If it's a Stag do then you'll probably have other reasons to be up the way of HB anyway ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

another vote for the Hanging Bat, it's excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

razorblunt wrote: »
    Yep you'll be spoilt for choice really.
    Teuchters on William Street, Queens Arms on Hanover Street do cask ales that change regularly.
    Hanging Bat on Lothian Road has its own micro brewery I believe, they sell smaller glasses than your usual pint, it's a 3/4 pint really but you can get 5 for £10.

If it's a Stag do then you'll probably have other reasons to be up the way of HB anyway ;-)
    Mmmm acorrding to their site its £11.50 for 5 drinks that are 1/3 of a pint, bit of a difference there mate

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

And another vote for the hanging bat. Also, there's the red squirrel (also on Lothian Road) and the vintage in leith.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Mmmm acorrding to their site its £11.50 for 5 drinks that are 1/3 of a pint, bit of a difference there mate

Some of those beers will blow your head off though, word of advice-getting a 1/2 or 1/3 pint of something that is 9 or 10% is very different to getting a half pint at 4%.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Used to live near Leith Walk and Victoria has some nice beers (http://www.bodabar.com/victoria/) I also used to live in Kenya and was amazed that they had bottles of Kenyan beer there! Yum!! Also a little closer to town on Leith Walk is Brass Monkey also have a decent selection of random beers (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=552693441463452&set=pb.137621072970693.-2207520000.1392664150.&type=3&theater) they also have loads of comfy sofas and show films every day. We used to go to those two every week both are excellent spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Size I couldn't recall but the price was a tenner originally.
    Some of their brews are head spinners though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Hey peps, just to let you know we had a great time in Edinburgh lovely city.
    I got to hit the Hanging Bat and I loved their beer selection particular theirs stouts. I got Brew Dog which was pretty good but their draught selection wasn't very extensive but I do love 5amSaint.
    I ended up a a fair few crap pubs as you do when your on a stag do, but I did find Deuchars ipa on cask pretty much everywhere (impressive) also found Bellhaven Best quite drinkable when I was stuck.
    Thanks agian for all your suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 perth112

Really nice scottish ale called 'Tartan Special', don't think its a Craft beer though.

Advertisement