Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I use these for??

Options
  • 03-01-2014 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭

Hi all, As part of a christmas gift I got a food hamper, inside it there was:

• Brandy butter
    • Cranberry sauce with port
    • Roasted pepper relish
    • Beetroot in redcurrent jelly
    I have never eaten, seen or heard of any of these, so what can I do with them:confused::confused: I'l admit Im not a big foodie, I'm a bacon and cabbage, custard and jelly for dessert kinda person, so something basic?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Brandy butter is delicious with christmas pudding.

Cranberry sauce goes really nicely with white meat like turkey or chicken, it can be used in sandwiches or just on the side of your plate. Also lovely with cheese like brie.

Red pepper relish is exactly what it sounds like. Use either in sandwiches or with cold meats.

Beetroot is beetroot, just in redcurrant jelly.

Why don't you try them all out and pair them with things yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Faith wrote: »
    Brandy butter is delicious with christmas pudding.

Cranberry sauce goes really nicely with white meat like turkey or chicken, it can be used in sandwiches or just on the side of your plate. Also lovely with cheese like brie.

Red pepper relish is exactly what it sounds like. Use either in sandwiches or with cold meats.

Beetroot is beetroot, just in redcurrant jelly.

Why don't you try them all out and pair them with things yourself?

Cause l havent a clue what to put them with! like l said lm not into food but ld like to use them and its something different....l just have no imagination/creativity when it comes to food :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

That comes from trying new things. Make it your new years resolution to develop your palate. Try a new food every week or something. Learn to cook. Start following the cooking club, starting from the very beginning in 2010. That'll teach you a FORTUNE of things. Taste everything with an open mind and learn what you really like and dislike.

Many times, just trying something - even just the tip of a teaspoon of it - will give you a huge amount of information about it and you quickly learn about food pairings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hi all, As part of a christmas gift I got a food hamper, inside it there was:

• Brandy butter
    • Cranberry sauce with port
    • Roasted pepper relish
    • Beetroot in redcurrent jelly
    I have never eaten, seen or heard of any of these, so what can I do with them:confused::confused: I'l admit Im not a big foodie, I'm a bacon and cabbage, custard and jelly for dessert kinda person, so something basic?

Brandy butter

As Faith says, put this with Christmas pudding. If you've no christmas pud left, just use with fruitcake.

Cranberry sauce with port

Put a big tablespoon on the side with a roast chicken dinner.

Alternatively, buy a crusty white roll, a bag of rocket and a wedge of camembert, and either sliced turkey or cooked chicken. Put a few thin slices of camembert on the sliced roll, and add the sliced meat, the rocket and a big smearing of the cranberry sauce. Devour.

Roasted pepper relish

Buy a box of water crackers. Buy a chunk of strong cheddar. Put a half tsp of relish on the cracker with a slice of cheddar. Stuff it in your gob. Chew. Wonder why you haven't done this before. Eat half the box of crackers with the block of cheese and most of the jar of relish. Watch your New Years resolution run towards the horizon with its arse on fire.

Beetroot in redcurrent jelly

Get the remains of the bag of rocket from the cranberry recipe. Buy a tin of peeled mandarin segments. Buy a bag of pine nuts and scatter a tablespoon of them in a dry frying pan and heat them until they toast (few minutes - don't let them burn, you want them to take on a bit of colour - then toss them out of the pan onto a plain plate so they cool). In a bowl put the rocket, a few of the drained mandarin segments, some of the beetroot in redcurrent jelly and the pine nuts. Toss it all up. Add some parmesan shavings if you like (buy a block of parmesan and take some thin shavings off it with a potato peeler). Eat the salad while trying to convince yourself you're making up for that episode with the cheddar and the crackers and the red pepper relish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Cause l havent a clue what to put them with! like l said lm not into food but ld like to use them and its something different....l just have no imagination/creativity when it comes to food :o

My heart goes out to you. There is such a wonderful world of food for you if you would but try. Meals in my childhood were very plain but after marriage in the 70's I tried many new foods, recipes, because I got so bored eating plain food. I used to buy cookery books just as reading material and that is how I gained knowledge. Cookery books vary in quality these days and are expensive so perhaps you could visit your library and borrow some basic cookery books.

Your food gift is to be used with your Christmas fare. Brandy butter on your warm Christmas pudding, but in our house we prefer home made custard made on all cream, calorific, but delish! The other products can be eaten with cold meats like your turkey, ham, pork, chicken etc., just as you would use Branston Pickle or Ploughman's Pickle.

There is nothing new or trendy in the products you received as I have used them since the 70's. I'd be interested to learn what you thought of them.

• Advertisement

Roasted pepper relish

Buy a box of water crackers. Buy a chunk of strong cheddar. Put a half tsp of relish on the cracker with a slice of cheddar. Stuff it in your gob. Chew. Wonder why you haven't done this before. Eat half the box of crackers with the block of cheese and most of the jar of relish. Watch your New Years resolution run towards the horizon with its arse on fire.

what the feck are water crackers? would regular crackers do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

We had Carr's Water Crackers for the cheese this Christmas. You probably see them in the supermarket but never noticed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

what the feck are water crackers? would regular crackers do?

Yeah they would - cream crackers would be fine too. Water crackers are very, very plain - a really thin cracker basically made from flour and water. Good vehicle when you mostly want to taste what's on the cracker as opposed to the cracker itself.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254925087

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

The roasted pepper relish would be lovely mixed with a bit of cream cheese and used to stuff chicken breasts - then wrap in a rasher of bacon and bake in the oven around 190 degrees for about 25 minutes. Yum.

Is there anything else l could use the brandy butter on? cant stand christmas pudding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Is there anything else l could use the brandy butter on? cant stand christmas pudding.

Do you like mince pies? It's lovely with those or even on French toast/eggy bread.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Do you like mince pies? It's lovely with those or even on French toast/eggy bread.

no :S is there anything plan l could use it with? lm a very fussy eater

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You can use brandy butter on anything you would put whipped cream on
    Apple tart
    Cake

It's fairly rich so it mightn't go with crumble though

Do you eat cheesecake with a digestive biscuit base? You could sub in the brandy butter for some of that.

Live a little and try out some new flavours!

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Do you eat cheesecake with a digestive biscuit base? You could sub in the brandy butter for some of that.

Live a little and try out some new flavours!

l like chessecake alrite :D are you saying mix the brandy butter with the biscuit base?

l like chessecake alrite :D are you saying mix the brandy butter with the biscuit base?

Yes. Not for the whole butter quantity: perhaps half. It'll be a little sweeter than usual so I might swap two of the digestives for three gingernuts depending on the topping. My favourite is lemon cheesecake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Brandy butter can be used to make cookies and shortbread.

You could also try it in a bread and butter pudding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Pang wrote: »
    You could also try it in a bread and butter pudding.

Oh that sounds amazing. If I spot brandy butter on sale I am absolutely doing a brandy butter and chocolate chip bread and butter pudding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Oh that sounds amazing. If I spot brandy butter on sale I am absolutely doing a brandy butter and chocolate chip bread and butter pudding

I'm not usually a fan of bread and butter pudding. I find it a bit boring but the brandy butter really adds to it. I'd suggest adding a little bit of orange zest to it as well, it is yum!

Advertisement