Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landing Page Question?

Options
  • 03-01-2014 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

HI There,

So I have a question relating to landing pages. I've built loads of them through my wordpress theme, which is fine. What I'm trying to do with the landing page in question is;
    I want to have it as a standalone page (without menu, sidebars, footers, etc) but still be within the confinds of WP, so I can add a contact form and some other widgets.

To explain properly what it's for incase the above doesn't make sense (which it prob doesn't :) )
    -I'm sending out an item to a number of peopl with a QR on it.
    -When they scan the QR I want it to bring them to a specially tailored landing page so I can engage with them and capture their data as part of a sales campaign.
    - I need this page to not look the same as other pages on our site (services, about etc). By not looking the same I mean; no menus, footers, sidebars etc. A blank page to which I can add text within a specific graphic or image, with a contact form and maybe a link or two. That's it.

Can anybody shed any light as to whether I can turn off the menu option for a specific page in WP?
    or
    Do I need to look at using a front-end dev/designer?

I can use WP pretty well myself and do all the basics and a bit more, but my limits stop there.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yes you can do that.

I think this covers it:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_a_Static_Front_Page

I'm a bit unsure of whether you're a developer or not. You may need a dev to create a new template.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

zacmorris wrote: »
    Can anybody shed any light as to whether I can turn off the menu option for a specific page in WP?
    How about hide the menu via css e.g. '#nav { display: none; }' (change #nav as appropriate).

You can look at the 'body' classes to style other page elements.

Alternately, create a new page template and use it. This would likely allow for more control to style the page differently from other pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

Thanks for the help and replies,

I'm not a developer at all, I can use WP to a certain level, but know zero about CSS.
    The static front page is basically what I want, but I don't want it to block out the rest of the site, which I'm guessing is not possible?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

If it's hosted somewhere that you can edit the theme, you could do it this (quick and dirty) way:

1. In the folder for the current template, find the default template, this is probably "page.php"
    2. Duplicate it, and give it a new name, eg: landing.php
    3. Change the name within the file itself, it's in a comment at the top of the file.

You can now use this theme for a layout of any page.

4. In your new file, simply remove and sections you don't want. They won't appear on any page that you choose to use this layout for.

This layout will only be used for pages where you set it to be used no other pages will be affected.

If it's hosted somewhere that you can edit the theme, you could do it this (quick and dirty) way:

1. In the folder for the current template, find the default template, this is probably "page.php"
    2. Duplicate it, and give it a new name, eg: landing.php
    3. Change the name within the file itself, it's in a comment at the top of the file.

You can now use this theme for a layout of any page.

4. In your new file, simply remove and sections you don't want. They won't appear on any page that you choose to use this layout for.

This layout will only be used for pages where you set it to be used no other pages will be affected.
    Presumably I can do this through my FTP?

Thanks a million for this, will give it a try today.

Cheers!

*Edit
    I'm stuck on this now, I went into my FTP, copied the page.php file and renamed it. Where do I go from here? How do I generate that page through my page composer in the theme within wordpress?

Thanks again for the help

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Zac, is there any reason you're trying to reinvent the wheel.

Have you done a search for landing page or squeeze page plugins?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

When creating or editign a page through Wordpress, in the Page Attributes box, there's an option, "Template", you should see a name in the options corresponding to your new file.

If you can't see this box, look in Screen Options up the very top to make sure it's set to display.

Graham wrote: »
    Zac, is there any reason you're trying to reinvent the wheel.

Have you done a search for landing page or squeeze page plugins?

No, i didn't look at any plugins yet.
    I have created loads of landing pages to date within the template. The problem is this particular page will be accessed through a QR code so the majority of the devices used to view will be mobile mainly and tablets secondary. My template is responsive and looks great on an iphone. What I'm trying to acheiev is the removal of the menu and logo from the page for this particular campaign.

The rest of the page looks fine, it's just getting rid of the bits like menu, logo, footer etc that I can't figure out. I want to do it within the theme as, like mentioned it's responsive so looks well on mobile.

Cheers for the input.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The rest of the page looks fine, it's just getting rid of the bits like menu, logo, footer etc that I can't figure out. I want to do it within the theme as, like mentioned it's responsive so looks well on mobile.
    Can you post a link to the page. Also, attach landing.php (or page.php) to a post.
    We should be able to make suggestions: either making the changes via css or editing landing.php.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Is there merit in this method?

Make up the page in WP, then save it out as html only, delete page from WP, edit out the nav etc bits, stick in a non-WP directory and then connect up the url/src paths.

??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

If you want to do that inside of WP you'll need to create a new page template for mobile landing pages. To do that (without a plugin) you're going to need to understand PHP. If you can't code PHP I would advise against it.

There could be a plugin as suggested by Graham, but trickyD is also correct...if you are stripping out the nav/sidebar and footer then there's nothing stopping you from whipping a quick landing page up in Dreamweaver and just creating a sub dir via FTP/file manager and popping it in there.

The QR code removes any URL difficulty issues for the users.

Thanks for the replies folks.
    Here's a link to the landing page

Graham wrote: »

I had a look at this page over the weekend, but can't seem to access it now when I click on the link. I've tried reggin on the site to see if that made a difference, but it hasn't.

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies folks.
    Here's a link to the landing page
    Based on that page adding the following to your stylesheet might do the trick:
    .page-id-10598 #mk-header, .page-id-10598 #theme-page, .page-id-10598 #sub-footer {
      display: none;
    }

It hides the header, footer and the theme-page block (with title and some content).

daymobrew wrote: »
    Based on that page adding the following to your stylesheet might do the trick:
    .page-id-10598 #mk-header, .page-id-10598 #theme-page, .page-id-10598 #sub-footer {
      display: none;
    }

It hides the header, footer and the theme-page block (with title and some content).
    Thanks for that, I'm not 100% comfortable editing CSS, but I will certainly try.
    Do I edit this through the page accessed through my FTP or can that be done through the WP editor?

Thanks

Thanks for that, I'm not 100% comfortable editing CSS, but I will certainly try.
    Do I edit this through the page accessed through my FTP or can that be done through the WP editor?
    You would probably edit the Stylesheet/style.css file in Appearance/Editor but I suggest you create a child theme for the Paragon theme that you are using (it's very easy - I'll happily help with this tiny task). With a child theme your customisations are not lost when you get an update for Paragon.

As you have hidden/unpublished/deleted the sample landing page, the css I wrong no longer applies - the .page-id-10598 part would have to be changed.

Advertisement