Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Street/Rialto/Combe Area

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

kylith wrote: »
    It really isn't.

Yeah, your right. Maybe it's worse.

http://www.thejournal.ie/body-discovered-reuben-street-734137-Dec2012/

"Is that just around the corner from where the German lad was stabbed to death? Poor guy, RIP. The Gardai and security guards are useless around there its slowly getting worse."

http://crime.ie/20120206/serious-assault-rialto/

[url]/http://www.movetoireland.com/movepag/misccrim.htm[/url]
    "The most dangerous spots, as would be expected, are in Dublin's inner city.

Dublin - North Central - 124.00
    Dublin - South Central - 97.49"

http://www.courts.ie/__80256F2B00356A6B.nsf/0/4240719C9DA24F0F802577F4005CA136?Open&Highlight=0,reuben,~language_en~

"The applicant was charged with having murdered Zhi Song on the 29th June, 2005 at premises at 1 Reuben Avenue, South Circular Road in the City of Dublin. "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Of Course! I don't think anyone would think that the inner city of Dublin is anything like, I dunno, Ennistimon or Ballymore or whatever. No matter what city you live in the inner city tends to have a higher crime rate.

On the other hand, it also has a lot of advantages. If you prefer to live in the outer suburbs or in the countryside, fair play to you. But those of us who prefer to be near the city centre and who take advantage of that - I would go regularly to the theatres, cinemas, museums, shows etc and then get the last Luas or bus home will adapt to it. I'm female btw. I keep my wits about me. In 30 odd years of living in inner-city Dublin and London, I've been burgled ONCE. I've never had a bicycle stolen. I was nearly pickpocketed (caught the guy at it) on the Green Line Luas.

The danger levels vary from one street to the next as I said earlier. You'd find the same newspaper quotes about Phibsborough or Rathmines. Can you find the same about Maryland? New Ireland Rd?

Give it up, RBM. What agenda are you working from? If the OP is thinking of buying there they must be fairly comfortable with city living, or they wouldn't be considering it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Of Course! I don't think anyone would think that the inner city of Dublin is anything like, I dunno, Ennistimon or Ballymore or whatever. No matter what city you live in the inner city tends to have a higher crime rate.

On the other hand, it also has a lot of advantages. If you prefer to live in the outer suburbs or in the countryside, fair play to you. But those of us who prefer to be near the city centre and who take advantage of that - I would go regularly to the theatres, cinemas, museums, shows etc and then get the last Luas or bus home will adapt to it. I'm female btw. I keep my wits about me. In 30 odd years of living in inner-city Dublin and London, I've been burgled ONCE. I've never had a bicycle stolen. I was nearly pickpocketed (caught the guy at it) on the Green Line Luas.

The danger levels vary from one street to the next as I said earlier. You'd find the same newspaper quotes about Phibsborough or Rathmines. Can you find the same about Maryland? New Ireland Rd?

Give it up, RBM. What agenda are you working from? If the OP is thinking of buying there they must be fairly comfortable with city living, or they wouldn't be considering it at all.

You'll find the links I posted to be facts in the public domain. Not an agenda.
    And please stay on topic of cork st/rialto/coombe area

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Cork St can be a bit messy there's no doubt about it. There's a lot of pretty wild kids knocking about and quite shocking levels of adult drunkenness even during the day.

Having said that it's not actually a bad area to live...it's very close to town and the people are,in the main quite friendly.

As with anywhere you can be extremely unlucky where you end up or who you end up living beside so research the hell out of it before you even think about buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod note: RebelButtMunch's generalisations, highly selective incidents, general unhelpfulness (in light of previous mod note), agenda and backseat modding has earned user a few days break from posting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

chopper6 wrote: »
    Cork St can be a bit messy there's no doubt about it. There's a lot of pretty wild kids knocking about and quite shocking levels of adult drunkenness even during the day.

Never noticed that myself when I lived in the area. The only problem with Cork Street that I had was that it was a bit desolate late at night, but would often find myself walking up the Luke's Avenue bit (and sometimes from the Centra back the other way) and never had a problem.

I don't know Rialto at all, but I loved living around the Coombe. My absolute favourite part of Dublin, and I've lived in a good few different places.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

St anthony's road is a total **** hole and should be avoided like the plague

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

http://www.thejournal.ie/body-discovered-reuben-street-734137-Dec2012/

"Is that just around the corner from where the German lad was stabbed to death? Poor guy, RIP. The Gardai and security guards are useless around there its slowly getting worse."

http://crime.ie/20120206/serious-assault-rialto/

[url]/http://www.movetoireland.com/movepag/misccrim.htm[/url]

http://www.courts.ie/__80256F2B00356A6B.nsf/0/4240719C9DA24F0F802577F4005CA136?Open&Highlight=0,reuben,~language_en~

"The applicant was charged with having murdered Zhi Song on the 29th June, 2005 at premises at 1 Reuben Avenue, South Circular Road in the City of Dublin. "

No-one is claiming that there have not been incidents in the area, but I've lived on Reuben St half my life and I have never been hassled, mugged, raped or threatened. My house has never been burgled, unlike the houses of people I know living in "good" areas. My neighbours are some of the nicest, most decent, people I have ever met.

No, it's not the greatest area on earth, but it's not 'like something out of Shameless'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 banjotradman

kylith wrote: »
    No-one is claiming that there have not been incidents in the area, but I've lived on Reuben St half my life and I have never been hassled, mugged, raped or threatened. My house has never been burgled, unlike the houses of people I know living in "good" areas. My neighbours are some of the nicest, most decent, people I have ever met.

No, it's not the greatest area on earth, but it's not 'like something out of Shameless'.

kylith - any experience of schools around the area? sorry I'm banging on about schools. I like rialto as an area, and most places in dublin have some kind of crime so that doesn't put me off. rough schools would though so just wondering if there's a few decent ones about that you've experienced or had friends experienced? cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TheScriptFan

I've just bought in Rialto in the last couple of weeks. It's different, edgier, you need to have your wits about you more - in previous places I would have walked home at all hours, probably not after 10.30 now. That's the down side...good side...probably some of the friendliest neighbours I have ever encountered. It is what it is...vast majority of people have no issue. If you aren't intimidated by groups of teenagers you'll be very happy here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

. If you aren't intimidated by groups of teenagers you'll be very happy here.

The truth is that an awful lot of people are intimidated by three or more teenagers :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I've just bought in Rialto in the last couple of weeks. It's different, edgier, you need to have your wits about you more - in previous places I would have walked home at all hours, probably not after 10.30 now. That's the down side...good side...probably some of the friendliest neighbours I have ever encountered. It is what it is...vast majority of people have no issue. If you aren't intimidated by groups of teenagers you'll be very happy here.

Gosh whereabouts are you? I've often got the last Luas home, and never felt intimidated. The only groups of teenagers I've seen are outside the chipper. And there's always a few smokers outside the pubs. There's the odd canoodling teenage couple on the quieter streets, but surely nobody is intimidated by them - they have more urgent matters on their mind! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

kylith - any experience of schools around the area? sorry I'm banging on about schools. I like rialto as an area, and most places in dublin have some kind of crime so that doesn't put me off. rough schools would though so just wondering if there's a few decent ones about that you've experienced or had friends experienced? cheers!

I've no kids, so I can't comment. I'm sure someone will be able to help you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

CBS James' Street,
    Educate Together in Griffith College,
    Clogher Road Tech
    Loreto College opposite Sundrive Rd. Garda stn/DID Electrical,
    Warrenmount,
    CBS Synge street
    There's a gael scoil in the Memorial Park in Islandbridge.
    Ard Scoil Eanna on Crumlin Road near the children's hospital....

how far are you prepared to commute yer children to school???

• Registered Users Posts: 11 NoWayJose!

Rather than post a new thread, I decided to resurrect this one. Bit more specific in that does anyone have any experience living in the Herberton Apartments?

living on Reuben St the past few months.

had a bit of trouble with kids in the first couple of weeks- few houses have had windows broken by the same group of little scummers- but the local community garda seems to have put a stop to it, fair play to him.

the Herbert on can be noisy and there's a few rough customers, but its a good vibrant area and I'm happy enough so far with choosing it as an area to live

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TheScriptFan

Hey there, I live very close by on Haroldville, I stalked every thread before I bought, and although I know the area well, was quite nervous about moving there (female - on my own) but it's been fab. You need to have your wits about you of course, it's no Portobello - but there's a great sense of community.
    Previously I probably would have walked home at 11pm at night, I don't do that now - just hop in a taxi, but honestly never had any issues!

bit of craic last night wha

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

bit of craic last night wha

Referring to this? http://www.sundayworld.com/news/news/dublin-car-chase-ends-up-in-crash

• Advertisement
Advertisement