Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in a shop through exams

Options
  • 03-01-2014 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I'm undergoing tests next week and I've been refused time off work for them, do I have anything to stand on in these situations or just swallow my tongue and get on with it?

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭lau1247

Is it a holiday leave? Or just an unpaid leave??

I don't think you have a choice, from what i can see the study/exam is a personal curriculum but a good employer would/should be more accommodating

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Two choices: suck it up, or quit.

Depending on how important the exams are, the 2nd option is quite valid, and somethiing that I've done before. It's all about your relative priorities.

Hi, I'm undergoing tests next week and I've been refused time off work for them, do I have anything to stand on in these situations or just swallow my tongue and get on with it?

Just to clarify, are these academic tests?

Well while I agree with lau1247 that a good employer would try to accommodate you, it sounds like you didn't give them much notice. In this instance, I don't think there's much you can really do except try to reschedule sitting the test or make another appeal to your boss about getting time off.

In future though, let your employer know that you'll need exam time off, and then give them notice of your exam timetable the moment you get it. Ideally, you would have discussed this with them before even accepting the job. Any interviews I've ever been in have included a question along the lines of "and are there any foreseeable reasons you'd need time off other than holidays?".

Advertisement