Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Chat Thread #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Just to confirm that S6s are definitely gone. Reserved online (after error was spotted) and went to LV branch but they came up at €600.

Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,231 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

ASUS MeMO Pad Purple 8 Inch Tablet - 16GB price drop to €110

http://www.checkargos.com/?search=258/5334

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

muffler wrote: »
    My daughter has just booked the 3 for 2 on toys for her little fella. No probs with it. Letterkenny store btw

What I wanted is out of stock everywhere:(

Argos in UK under fire for system crashing,payments taken and no goods to collect,some people were charged twice and then no record of goods ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I have tried for 3 days to get into Argos 3 for 2 Toys....error messages practically every time both at work and at home. Gave up on it

• Registered Users Posts: 46,083 ✭✭✭✭muffler

jay0109 wrote: »
    I have tried for 3 days to get into Argos 3 for 2 Toys....error messages practically every time both at work and at home. Gave up on it
    I heard someone say that the site is inaccessible at times from mobiles / tablets but works fine from PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Yeah its struggling, they dont have a different site for mobile and desktop so I'd say its just luck of the draw!
    JAKEYCAKEY wrote: »
    XBox One Fifa 16 bundle , you get Halo 5 and COD Black ops 3 free with it so all for 349.99 , saving € 122 . If these games are the too advanced you will get €100 cash for them in Cex or there is a trade in shop in Tallaght I got €100 cash and them bought Lego dimensions also on sale for €117 . So worked out I got Xbox One Fifa bundle and Lego dimensions Starer Pk For a grand total of €367 what a bargain . Offer ends on Tuesday 10/11/15 so be fast .

Hope as many people get this as possible great Xmas saving

Here is a list of these items so you can check if they are in stock in particular store. (I notice there is a bug where it doesnt clear the old store if you check a new one! :/ )

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

JDxtra wrote: »
    No problem picking up the Xbox One FIFA bundle with Call of Duty: Black Ops III and Halo 5 today for €349. Nice deal.

Have you a link for this? I can't see it online

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Search for XBOX FIFA. You'll see the console. Then select offer 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭smallgarden

ASUS MeMO Pad Purple 8 Inch Tablet - 16GB price drop to €110

http://www.checkargos.com/?search=258/5334

The asus zenpad 7 is same price as well. Not sure if a bargain. Which is best to go for between the zenoad, memo pad and nexus all on special on argos at the mo?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Argos 3 for 2 is terrible! No 3 toys in the same store, I definitely need 1 so I'm able to be flexible to a certain point with the other 2 but still nothing in the same store and I've tried about 4 or 5.. aaarrrrgghhhh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

amor3 wrote: »
    Argos 3 for 2 is terrible! No 3 toys in the same store, I definitely need 1 so I'm able to be flexible to a certain point with the other 2 but still nothing in the same store and I've tried about 4 or 5.. aaarrrrgghhhh!

I had the same problem. Turned out that what I wanted to buy was much much cheaper on Amazon anyway so I still saved a lot of money and I didn't have to leave the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

amor3 wrote: »

Buy one toy in one store go to store that has other 2 toys you want,return first toy then buy three including one you returned and they will give you 3 for 2.Have done this myself

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭freebee23

JDxtra wrote: »
    No problem picking up the Xbox One FIFA bundle with Call of Duty: Black Ops III and Halo 5 today for €349. Nice deal.

Reserved bundle but reservation shows as extra €10 for each of the games. Total of €370. Can I ask them to check offer so I can get games free if collected tomorrow?

Cheers freebee23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭JDxtra

freebee23 wrote: »
    Reserved bundle but reservation shows as extra €10 for each of the games. Total of €370. Can I ask them to check offer so I can get games free if collected tomorrow?

Cheers freebee23
    It came up as the correct price in store - €349.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

I had the same problem. Turned out that what I wanted to buy was much much cheaper on Amazon anyway so I still saved a lot of money and I didn't have to leave the house.

Finding the same thing too. Lego hotel 150 in Argos 120 on Lego. Com with free gift (that I estimate is about 20-30), around 120 in Smyth's too.
    Some baby born stuff 48 in Argos 20 in Smyth's.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,077 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

KAGY wrote: »
    Finding the same thing too. Lego hotel 150 in Argos 120 on Lego. Com with free gift (that I estimate is about 20-30), around 120 in Smyth's too.

Take screen shots of the items in Smyths. Argos will price match them and you will still get your 3 for 2 after the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

KAGY wrote: »

If you find anything lower in price in a bricks and mortar toy store ie smyths, just show your proof to Argos customer care and they will match it or twins the difference if you've already purchased.

I got a €9 refund on Saturday for a snow globe making set.

It took around 10 minutes though and two cashiers, it looks like people aren't availing of this so the staff aren't familiar with the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Pipmae

16gb iPod Touch is down to €199. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

Thinking about getting an iPod for my son for christmass. How do I get music or videos onto it, we have a laptop yes, but does all the downloads have to go through iTunes €€€ or can it be transfare from cd rips in the laptops media library.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

spongbob wrote: »
    Thinking about getting an iPod for my son for christmass. How do I get music or videos onto it, we have a laptop yes, but does all the downloads have to go through iTunes €€€ or can it be transfare from cd rips in the laptops media library.
    It can sync via the laptop using iTunes. Any MP3 (plus many other file formats) that you've ripped yourself will work without having to buy from the iTunes store.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

spongbob wrote: »

The only thing you have to get from Apple is the apps. Everything else (Music, Movies, Books, Podcasts etc.) can be imported into iTunes from your personal collection. You need to use iTunes on the laptop to add any of these. Otherwise you have to get them all from the official Apple Stores on the iPod itself. Certain things are free and some can be paid.

There is family account support in iOS now though so you could give him permission to download certain paid apps through your account if that's something you'd want.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

Thanks guys, I'm new to the apple stuff , that makes sence to me. Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

I have a reservation for a pink ipod touch @ 199 in galway if it's of use to anyone. had it reserved but when i checked the santa letter is a blue one that she was looking for...😯
    Pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

3for2 on toys seems to be gone, does anyone know if they will bring this back before xmas ??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

shamrock55 wrote: »
    3for2 on toys seems to be gone, does anyone know if they will bring this back before xmas ??

Finished yesterday. I reserved 3 items, will they honour the 3 for 2 when collecting today? If not I ain't gonna bother with the trip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

vicwatson wrote: »
    Finished yesterday. I reserved 3 items, will they honour the 3 for 2 when collecting today? If not I ain't gonna bother with the trip.

Nope, they won't honour that deal today. You're better off waiting until the new offers start on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ah no, gutted:
    368183.PNG

Oooh looks like CheckArgos was overloading the Argos site. Must have been a chief factor in it going offline. Bye bye checkargos!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hey Guys,

So anyone who has visited checkargos since last night will see that I took the site down. Argos blocked requests from my server to their site, so I can't check stock anymore.

As you probably know, Argos website struggled over the weekend and obviously they felt the site contributed to that.

To be honest, we are probably hitting them more than we need to. Every time our product page is hit once, we hit Argos 40 (or however number of stores) times to load the stock status of each store.

So one way I was thinking of reducing the load on Argos would be to reduce the number of stores users check

Taking me as an example, I only care about a few stores: Athlone & Galway mainly, maybe Longford, Tullamore and then at a stretch the 3 Limerick stores. Only if I was posting a deal somewhere would I care if its in stock anywhere else.

So if I only checked these stores this would reduce my load on Argos from 40 requests to 7, which is a big difference, but I'm still getting the information i want out of it.

So my question for you guys is, any suggestions on how to do this ? I was thinking maybe the first time you hit the site you are asked to check the stores you care about, limited to 15 or 20. You could change this list at anytime by visiting a settings page. (This would persist on the device you are hitting from, you would need to create a new list on a different device). I know it would be a pain to have to set up on first visit, but it would make stock checking faster for you and help reduce the load on Argos

Also maybe have an option to check stock in all stores, but have it behind something that makes it slower or something to discourage its use (only after a minute on the page does the option become available or something). This would make it still an option if you wanted to post a deal or whatever.

Any thoughts on this? Or any other suggestions on how to handle the limiting of the stores?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement