Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Chat Thread #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I am considering buying one of these

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2286341/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGifts+and+hobbies%7C14417351/Trail/searchtext%3ELED+TREE.htm

Can anyone tell me if it's good value? Always used checkargos for price comparisons...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

lazeedaisy wrote: »

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2286341/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGifts+and+hobbies%7C14417351/Trail/searchtext%3ELED+TREE.htm

Can anyone tell me if it's good value? Always used checkargos for price comparisons...

Something similar in homestore and more that will probably go half price next month

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/search?q=Christmas#esp_sort=sys_price&esp_order=desc

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fccallan

matchthis wrote: »
    Something similar in homestore and more that will probably go half price next month

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/search?q=Christmas#esp_sort=sys_price&esp_order=desc

They won't go half price, its usually the christmas tree lights, tablecloths and candles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Pipmae

fccallan wrote: »
    They won't go half price, its usually the christmas tree lights, tablecloths and candles

I got something similar in Littlewoods last year around the start of December. It was reduced to about €45 and I got it for about €30 using a discount code. I bought two - I was sorry I didn't buy four.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

lazeedaisy wrote: »

I just checked manually there, it hasn't been cheaper than this ☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

The other side of it is that checkargos.com is great for identifying instantly how many stores have stock. If there is no stock, you wouldn't post it in BA.

Restricting users to a few stores on checkargos means they don't have this information so they might not post as many bargains
    or else post more Of of Stock ones.

But needs must and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

muffler wrote: »
    You might want to take a leaf out of vicwatson's book and give them a call. No one here is going to know the answer :)

People on here have known beforehand of the 3for2 offer previously so why wouldnt they now,its a simple enough qustion this is a forum after all, if someone knows they will post,if not then fair enough, why doesnt everyone with a query just ring argos so instead of coming on here, nice of you to be able to answer for everyone too btw

marcbrophy wrote: »
    No worries pal :)
    I was just trying to look on the positive side. If your scanner was doing a bulk update at once and not causing any issues, then it would be good news for Brian to see about getting his server off the blacklist.

I don't know exactly how maxiiim how does it, but probably have a good idea.

Argos have 50,000 products or so, so if scanner checks each one of those every day that is 50,000 requests, to the argos product pages which I'm pretty sure are static (as in it doesnt hit Argos' database)

Taking last Thursday for example, Checkargos had about 2000 hits to the product page, that's 80,000 requests to the stock check page, which does hit their database so it would be much heavier on load on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Have to say, thanks a million for all your work on the check argos Witnessmenow. Its such a great tool

• Registered Users Posts: 45 QuelleSuprise

Hey Guys,

So anyone who has visited checkargos since last night will see that I took the site down. Argos blocked requests from my server to their site, so I can't check stock anymore.

As you probably know, Argos website struggled over the weekend and obviously they felt the site contributed to that.

To be honest, we are probably hitting them more than we need to. Every time our product page is hit once, we hit Argos 40 (or however number of stores) times to load the stock status of each store.

So one way I was thinking of reducing the load on Argos would be to reduce the number of stores users check

Taking me as an example, I only care about a few stores: Athlone & Galway mainly, maybe Longford, Tullamore and then at a stretch the 3 Limerick stores. Only if I was posting a deal somewhere would I care if its in stock anywhere else.

So if I only checked these stores this would reduce my load on Argos from 40 requests to 7, which is a big difference, but I'm still getting the information i want out of it.

So my question for you guys is, any suggestions on how to do this ? I was thinking maybe the first time you hit the site you are asked to check the stores you care about, limited to 15 or 20. You could change this list at anytime by visiting a settings page. (This would persist on the device you are hitting from, you would need to create a new list on a different device). I know it would be a pain to have to set up on first visit, but it would make stock checking faster for you and help reduce the load on Argos

Also maybe have an option to check stock in all stores, but have it behind something that makes it slower or something to discourage its use (only after a minute on the page does the option become available or something). This would make it still an option if you wanted to post a deal or whatever.

Any thoughts on this? Or any other suggestions on how to handle the limiting of the stores?

Just change server address? Then keep up the cat and mouse by changing address every time it is blocked.

Can't say I feel that sorry for big Argos's IT team. I am sure they will find a way to handle traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Are Argos still doing great deals on PS4's?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Tusky wrote: »
    Are Argos still doing great deals on PS4's?

They pop up from time to time but even now most of the deals they do have are still better than the competitors stores. I've been keeping my eye on the site the last week or two, holding out for a better deal though.

What do people think of the following?

When you first hit the page from a new device you will see:

yRdJk7Vl.png

When you click save it will bring you to

bs5A68Ql.png

From then on you will see the second image only, but can click on the edit button to bring you back to the top image.

There is still a bit of work before the site is ready to put back up again, but getting there!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Excellent feature that will keep both us and Argos happy. Cheers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnf26

Ps4 500g + assasins creed+ uncharted+watchdogs only 319e

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4576011.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

Great update to the site - very clean and straightforward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Lego dimensions starter pack PS3 reduced to €85. + voucher

32€ saving

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks good, Witness. Note that "Remembered" spelled wrong in the first screen.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Mr E wrote: »

To be fair, it was 2am when he posted those screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

johnf26 wrote: »
    Ps4 500g + assasins creed+ uncharted+watchdogs only 319e

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4576011.htm

Special Offer #1 on that deal is the AC:Syndicate, Watchdog & Fallout 4 (instead of Uncharted) for an extra 14 euro. With Just Cause 3 just around the corner I'm mighty mighty tempted. Damn you Argos! Wait for black Friday or not? Opinions?

• Advertisement

I do English good :p (Thanks though!)
    James74 wrote: »
    Special Offer #1 on that deal is the AC:Syndicate, Watchdog & Fallout 4 (instead of Uncharted) for an extra 14 euro. With Just Cause 3 just around the corner I'm mighty mighty tempted. Damn you Argos! Wait for black Friday or not? Opinions?

You will not get cheaper than this, you even get a €10 voucher back!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fair enough, I'll remeber that in future. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

James74 wrote: »

Why "instead of Uncharted"?
    Discount comes up for both when I try to reserve.
    only thing stopping me is that there's no stock of Fallout 4.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Lego dimensions starter pack PS3 reduced to €85. + voucher

32€ saving

Fantastic spot - thanks a million!!! Got it at that price for Xbox too :D

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Fair enough, I'll remeber that in future. :pac:

2349032-0569607557-happy.png

Remouad wrote: »

There is some dotted around from a quick check (although due to my above change I cant check all stores anymore :pac:)

Castlebar, Clonemel, Athlone all had stock from the few stores I checked

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

In what order did you add them? Tried to add Fallout and Uncharted but comes to 380-odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Doesn't work for me. When I add both special offer 1 (Fallout for €14) and special offer 3 (Drakes Uncharted - Free) the total price shown is €383.48

PS3 €319.99
    Fallout €63.49
    Uncharted €0

As soon as I remove Uncharted it drops the price of Fallout back to €14, which suggests only one special offer can be claimed at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

brophs wrote: »
    Doesn't work for me. When I add both special offer 1 (Fallout for €14) and special offer 3 (Drakes Uncharted - Free) the total price shown is €383.48

PS3 €319.99
    Fallout €63.49
    Uncharted €0

As soon as I remove Uncharted it drops the price of Fallout back to €14, which suggests only one special offer can be claimed at a time.

I just tried it again and got the same.

Weird.
    Definitely worked the first time I checked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Anyone know if this is the new version of the PS4?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement