Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Chat Thread #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

check this out,

I was looking up the specs on this lenovo tablet
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4995403.htm

and I see now in the special offers tab, that they are doing trade-ins

"Trade in old tablets for Argos gift vouchers. For full Terms and Conditions please visit your local Argos store. Offer ends 15th July 2016."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

hellboy99 wrote: »

Worse again, the other 1tb xbox (425/4302) was €329 yesterday, €527.49 today

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Halflifept

Worse again, the other 1tb xbox (425/4302) was €329 yesterday, €527.49 today

Great new promos they said yesterday. Already had a good laugh at some new prices changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

spongbob wrote: »
    check this out,

I was looking up the specs on this lenovo tablet
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4995403.htm

"Trade in old tablets for Argos gift vouchers. For full Terms and Conditions please visit your local Argos store. Offer ends 15th July 2016."

Probably a five euro gift card :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

spongbob wrote: »
    check this out,

Has anyone tried this? I have a pair of old tablets that I wouldn't mind using on a trade in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

What I find odd this time, is they just took stuff off line, number no longer exists. They used to sell everything until it was gone, I had luckily reserved one item I had my eye on for 2 weeks.

I loved the Egyptian cotton hand towels, all gone too, and they had stock, no longer selling them,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Argos has-been bought by sainsburys I believe. I hope we still get the great deals and them honouring miss priced items

• Registered Users Posts: 46,081 ✭✭✭✭muffler

massy086 wrote: »
    Argos has-been bought by sainsburys I believe.
    Are you sure? Homebase own Argos and I didnt hear anything about it being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

muffler wrote: »

Home Retail Group own Sainsburys, Homebase is just another part of the group. They are actually selling Homebase to an Australian group to part fund the takeover of Argos, who they have approached to do so.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

It's all over the web / news channels for the last week. As said by the above poster sainsbury have no interest in homebase so it will be sold on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

^^you're all wrong

^^you're all wrong

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35299769

^^Would put some value on what the bbc report especially when the sainsbury chief exec is on record in recent days stating his intentions and is talking to his board and has investor backing. Rationale / proposed business model for the bid does not involve homebases sales model / product range hence speculation on a quick spin off(plus it raises much needed funds for the takeover)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

^^Would put some value on what the bbc report especially when the sainsbury chief exec is on record in recent days stating his intentions and is talking to his board and has investor backing. Rationale / proposed business model for the bid does not involve homebases sales model / product range hence speculation on a quick spin off(plus it raises much needed funds for the takeover)

Clearly says proposed.... Nothing has been done, and Argos is not owned by sainsburys!!!!!

Clearly says proposed.... Nothing has been done, and Argos is not owned by sainsburys!!!!!

Well done, there was I thinking sainsbury put in a bid to buy their own company.

The conversation (including my posts and my link) are in relation to sainsbury preparing a bid.

Anyway a back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Well done, there was I thinking sainsbury put in a bid to buy their own company.

The conversation (including my posts and my link) are in relation to sainsbury preparing a bid.

Anyway a back on topic

Well done, you manged to incorrectly read basic English

Someone said Argos had been sold, which it hasn't.

Never once said you thought it had been sold, all I did was simply state that it hadn't been sold, so that people didn't necessarily need to read the link

The conversation started by someone saying Argos had been sold, so I just plainly stated that it hadn't

Anyway, you took up what I said wrong so back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Seriously no old catalogue clearance items?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭uli84

Looks like they just disappeared, odd. Also agreed-base prices of not reduced items are higher and thats about it.

None!

They took the stock and codes down,

I got the bed linen I was after'. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4393294.htm

Been eying it since Christmas, waiting for the price to go down further, bt reserved it yesterday just in case! They had a fair bit of stock too in all sizes,

Wonder what happens to the stock now?

The bed linen is good value if you get it at half price, but not the cheap colour match stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Yes I know someone who works for homebase.homebase has been sold too

http://www.hortweek.com/homebase-set-sold-wesfarmers/retail/article/1379313

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭uli84

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    None!

They took the stock and codes down,

I got the bed linen I was after'.

So angry especially since the items are on the uk website, maybe that's where the stock will go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭corkie

corkie wrote: »
    You could try setting up a change detection alert for the product page.
    https://www.changedetection.com/

I use it to be alerted when there is new nexus factory images.

Have not tried it with argos.
    Never knew this existed! Thanks. : D
    Sligo1 wrote: »
    Thanks corkie, that definitely looks like it's worth a try. Will set it up and feedback whether it works for me or not!

I set up a change detection on an argos product to test it and it has alerted me to this price reduction:
    SanDisk Cruzer Fit 128GB USB Flash Drive. 471/9823

Save Over €32.00
    €54.49
    was €86.99

Already got this item at cheaper price from an amazon Lightening Deal.

uli84 wrote: »
    So angry especially since the items are on the uk website, maybe that's where the stock will go

It will cost money to send it back, Argos ebay or is that run from uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Be interesting to see how the sale of Homebase and Argos impact business operations in Ireland. Bunnings are a major retailer in Australia and New Zealand, with Mitre 10 their biggest competitor. Bunnings are more like B&Q, with lots of racking, not a lot of showroom type displays etc, and are very, very large (again similar to B&Q in Liffey Valley). Australians and Kiwis are very big on renovating their homes themselves with home improvement shows very popular (The Block, My House Rules, Mitre 10 Dream Home etc). I'm not sure there's quite the same appetite for DIY in Ireland or the UK as often that involves tools etc that many property owners don't have the storage space to keep... Unless they start offering tool hire.

Hardware in Ireland is quite expensive - it's not unusual to see items costing double the price in the UK. For instance last year 10L fence paint was selling for £4.99 a bucket in B&Q UK while it was €14.95 in the Irish B&Q stores (both 'on sale'). When we renovated we brought the two bathroom suites (mirrors, taps, shower fittings, screens, toilets, vanities, 1 bath, 1 shower box, all tiles) and the radiators from the North, saving us 62% on the best prices we could get in Dublin. The British are big on claiming 'rip off Britain' when drawing comparisons to the US, but many of them would keel over when looking at Irish prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

on_my_oe wrote: »
    Be interesting to see how the sale of Homebase and Argos impact business operations in Ireland. Bunnings are a major retailer in Australia and New Zealand, with Mitre 10 their biggest competitor. Bunnings are more like B&Q, with lots of racking, not a lot of showroom type displays etc, and are very, very large (again similar to B&Q in Liffey Valley). Australians and Kiwis are very big on renovating their homes themselves with home improvement shows very popular (The Block, My House Rules, Mitre 10 Dream Home etc). I'm not sure there's quite the same appetite for DIY in Ireland or the UK as often that involves tools etc that many property owners don't have the storage space to keep... Unless they start offering tool hire.

Hardware in Ireland is quite expensive - it's not unusual to see items costing double the price in the UK. For instance last year 10L fence paint was selling for £4.99 a bucket in B&Q UK while it was €14.95 in the Irish B&Q stores (both 'on sale'). When we renovated we brought the two bathroom suites (mirrors, taps, shower fittings, screens, toilets, vanities, 1 bath, 1 shower box, all tiles) and the radiators from the North, saving us 62% on the best prices we could get in Dublin. The British are big on claiming 'rip off Britain' when drawing comparisons to the US, but many of them would keel over when looking at Irish prices.

B&Q in Ireland is pretty much a DIY convenience store where you will pay over the odds for most things. Builders providers are generally way better value. I think the average man in a van would have little time for b&q unless it was after 5pm, and i get the feeling the market isnt big enough to make it worth b&qs time to compete.

A lot of the stock has come back online, Christmas food gifts etc. chocolate Santa, mint thorntons, cake in a mug, a lot of stock gone but it's there if you had your eye on anything,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,947 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Why aren't people using this thread instead of clogging up the bargains thread?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

A lot of the stock has come back online, Christmas food gifts etc. chocolate Santa, mint thorntons, cake in a mug, a lot of stock gone but it's there if you had your eye on anything,

Examples?

question for ye all.

i got argos vouchers at xmas and intend buying a mobile phone. it was about 370 in the sale, but there was no stock anywhere. i have been checking constantly since xmas.
    the phone has now gone down in price even further, but there is NO STOCK anywhere in the country.
    i attempted to reserve the item thinking that when it comes into stock they will inform me. i cant even reserve it.

so, the question is, will it ever come back into stock? are they allowed to constantly advertise something for sale for a certain price when it is impossible to buy it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

bubblypop wrote: »
    question for ye all.

i got argos vouchers at xmas and intend buying a mobile phone. it was about 370 in the sale, but there was no stock anywhere. i have been checking constantly since xmas.
    the phone has now gone down in price even further, but there is NO STOCK anywhere in the country.
    i attempted to reserve the item thinking that when it comes into stock they will inform me. i cant even reserve it.

so, the question is, will it ever come back into stock? are they allowed to constantly advertise something for sale for a certain price when it is impossible to buy it?

Do you have a link? Argos might just not be able to get it into stock as it might be a discontinued item.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement