Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Chat Thread #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,079 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Apt8 wrote: »
    Hate to be that guy, but those USB wall socket things are useless, better off getting individual dedicated plugs. Those sockets are always drawing current and there's no way to switch them off, and since this is a bargain alert forum, I'm alerting you of the bargain of saving electricity by using the chargers that you can physically plug out :P
    Actual (non) usage cost would probably work out at around 70 cents per year.

Nothing to get too excited about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

I know it's not a huge cost, but on top of the cost of the actual sockets, the installation if you're getting someone to do it, and the fact that you'd need more than one if you wanted to charge in another room. It's also nice to have the portability of a dedicated charger.

7595b906a311af46e97096438d2f3604.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭corkie

I know it's not a huge cost, but on top of the cost of the actual sockets, the installation if you're getting someone to do it, and the fact that you'd need more than one if you wanted to charge in another room. It's also nice to have the portability of a dedicated charger.

Not really bargain unless your comfortable doing DIY electrical work. There is the alternative of extension leads (incl. surge protection) with ports. Or surge cubes.

I got a belkin one last year from maplin (but unfortunately it no longer charges at full power) still protects my laptop, powers a mobile rooter and usb powered alarm clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

Ah not trying to be negative, hence why I prefaced my post with how I hate to be that guy, just highlighting the point. I can imagine they are handy and if you can get them at a good price go for it.
    Just speaking as someone who has studied Electrical/Electronic Eng, the quality of these things can be pretty nasty for something that's going to be permanently powered!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can use one of these to check if the socket is wired up wrong
    http://martindale-electric.co.uk/martindale-cp501-classic-check-plug-240v-socket-tester-p-277.html

It won't pick up stuff like mixing up earth and neutral , nor connections that aren't fully tightened or overtightened, so it can't be use to tell you the soket is 100% right.

Get a small extension lead for your USB chargers, ones with switches are good. Any problems get a new charger or extension. To stop people "borrowing" the chargers cable tie them to extension lead.

BTW Double adaptors are a fire risk if you plug high power stuff into them so best not to be tempted to use them.

Anyway these days TV's , Satellite boxes, Blu-Ray players , stereos all have USB. And Dealz do a nice €1.50 power bank

..... the quality of these things can be pretty nasty for something that's going to be permanently powered!

Normally specious of these devices as well. But the BG brand is a good quality version: - ASTA Approved, Manufactured to BS 1363-2, EN 60950-1

Here is an example tear-down of a poor quality version to be avoided.
    You can use one of these to check if the socket is wired up wrong
    http://martindale-electric.co.uk/martindale-cp501-classic-check-plug-240v-socket-tester-p-277.html

BTW Double adaptors are a fire risk if you plug high power stuff into them so best not to be tempted to use them.

That tester would add another £17, but would be handy for an electrician or someone changing sockets regularly.

I have been doing DIY electric jobs since I was a teenager. So know how to replace a socket/light bulb etc. (even use to make homemade extension leads way back then (not recommend anymore for safety reasons, also they are allot cheaper now)).

I assume your referring to double adapters like this one: -
    31lm-Rk9QBL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Can we move on from this electrical plug convo, its so boring now and way off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Can we move on from this electrical plug convo, its so boring now and way off topic.

Yeah! I can't understand why the mods allow chat about Argos products in the Argos chat thread. Can we split the thread into a no chat chat thread and a chat chat thread, please? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Yeah! I can't understand why the mods allow chat about Argos products in the Argos chat thread. Can we split the thread into a no chat chat thread and a chat chat thread, please? :rolleyes:

I never said it wasnt allowed, I simply think the boring as hell send you to sleep ****e about electrical sockets has run its course.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

True it clogs the thread mivevto the DIY forum if it goes on and on

• Registered Users Posts: 46,079 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The chat here is so ............ electrifying :pac:

I'll get me coat/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Yeah, put a plug in it guys.

Maybe if you provide a link to another bargain maybe people could discuss that instead.

Maybe these: - Tile Slim Phone and Wallet Item Finder.

At €27.99 they are expensive enough and reviews have them not working great at what there are supposed to do. Plus no stock in Cork branches!

55676576.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,880 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

corkie wrote: »
    At €27.99 they are expensive enough and reviews have them not working great at what there are supposed to do. Plus no stock in Cork branches!

Not really a bargain then though, is it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

dulpit wrote: »
    Not really a bargain then though, is it? :confused:

It's the chat thread... Bargains go in the bargain thread :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

emmetkenny wrote: »

It's in bargain alerts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

muffler wrote: »
    The chat here is so ............ electrifying :pac:

I'll get me coat/

giphy.gif
    emmetkenny wrote: »
    It's in bargain alerts :D

New debate/chat topic: Do 'chat' threads belong in the Bargains Alerts section of Boards?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Ok so this doesn't seem to be available in any store right now, but did anyone get one?
    It seems to be a good price. Any other Android TV seems to be much more at the moment. And could the likes of Kodi and other stuff that people talk about in the Android tv box thread be installed on this?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...7C14419667.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Argos site down for exciting changes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

dunworth1 wrote: »

New Catalogue out tomorrow :cool:

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    New Catalogue out tomorrow :cool:

:eek: woah that came fast didn't realize it was new catalogue day

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I wonder how many pricing error will pop up!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

Errors are rare since sainsburys bought them, honored errors even rarer.

wonder will we finally get the uk website upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

wonder will we finally get the uk website upgrade?

I hope not because the UK argos is pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

:eek: woah that came fast didn't realize it was new catalogue day

Ah shi7! Just spent around 200e in there yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Explains why checkargos.com is not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,884 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Reserved an item yesterday, and now it's gone off the website. What's the protocol there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Basq wrote: »
    Reserved an item yesterday, and now it's gone off the website. What's the protocol there?

Probably ok. If you ring their phone stock checker it should give you price and availability. Got stuff here after it was removed from website.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement