Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Chat Thread #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Basq wrote: »
    Reserved an item yesterday, and now it's gone off the website. What's the protocol there?

Loads of stuff will still be on the in store item system but not on the site do a screen grab of your reservation and pop in store tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,884 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Loads of stuff will still be on the in store item system but not on the site do a screen grab of your reservation and pop in store tomorrow.
    Yeah, went in today.. no problem in picking it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Got some argos and 1 for all vouchers recently.
    Was going to get a GoPro hero 5 black in argos, It was 20 quid more expensive than say PcWorld but now it's gone up to 470 over night and it wasn't even on sale!
    70 quid more expensive than anywhere else and 65 more than argos uk.

Whats that about? will argos in NI take gift cards from the south?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

booooonzo wrote: »
    Got some argos and 1 for all vouchers recently.
    Was going to get a GoPro hero 5 black in argos, It was 20 quid more expensive than say PcWorld but now it's gone up to 470 over night and it wasn't even on sale!
    70 quid more expensive than anywhere else and 65 more than argos uk.

Whats that about? will argos in NI take gift cards from the south?

Do Argos not price match ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

From http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102363006&postcount=384

Just got a call from argos today.....
    Was expecting them to cancel my order and tell me how silly I was for thinking i could get a king size mattress for 67 euro....

I was wrong, being delivered friday :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Do Argos not price match ?

I called in and it's only for toys and small kitchen appliances

Say I purchase an item worth €65 and it's eligible under the 25% off Homewares voucher code.. will I also get the 10 euro voucher?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Say I purchase an item worth €65 and it's eligible under the 25% off Homewares voucher code.. will I also get the 10 euro voucher?

No- you pay 50 at the till for a fiver voucher- or 100 for a tenner voucher- you actually have to spend the 50+ or the 100+ to trigger the voucher- you're not supposed to get it on a 45 spend (etc) They've gotten a lot tighter on these........

^ Gotcha.. so if I throw something small into make up the €1.25 difference, I do get the voucher though?

^ Gotcha.. so if I throw something small into make up the €1.25 difference, I do get the voucher though?

Yes. A couple of plastic bags- which you can repurpose as bin bags would even do it.

• Advertisement

Bought Wooden Blind for €65 plus 2 items in 2 for €20 in Homewares. Used code 'HOME25' .. voucher came off blind and 2 items already in 2 for €20 promotion.

So cost me €66 (essentially getting 2 Homeware items for free) and got €5 gift card.

RESULT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

phill106 wrote: »
    From http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102363006&postcount=384

Just got a call from argos today.....
    Was expecting them to cancel my order and tell me how silly I was for thinking i could get a king size mattress for 67 euro....

I was wrong, being delivered friday :P

Sneaky argos rang me up today to say they made a mistake, and they wont be honouring it. Told them they may have made a mistake, but you will be honouring it as contract was formed once they accepted my payment.
    More news as a investiagte further...

tut tut they have it all sewn up

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ArgosStaticPageSecondLevel?includeName=TermsAndConditions.htm&langId=111&storeId=10152
    They say contract is only formed when goods are dispatched :(

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

How is Argos with regards to prices at the time of reservation? I ordered an item for reservation a few days ago and it arrived in the store today, but the price has increased since the new catalogue came out. I have an email with the lower price, if that's any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    How is Argos with regards to prices at the time of reservation? I ordered an item for reservation a few days ago and it arrived in the store today, but the price has increased since the new catalogue came out. I have an email with the lower price, if that's any use.
    You will get at price you ordered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Thar_Cian wrote: »

Bring the email, either printed or show them on your phone. Usually they are very good at honouring reserved prices. I have however been refused 3 times before. But that's compared to say 100 times it's been honoured.

Yawns wrote: »
    Bring the email, either printed or show them on your phone. Usually they are very good at honouring reserved prices. I have however been refused 3 times before. But that's compared to say 100 times it's been honoured.

Recently they've been a lot less likely to honor old prices, than previously, its almost like they're doing some sort of crack down on the practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Id say it depends on the branch and the price difference

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

Thanks for the responses. I got it at the lower price today (€20 difference).

Can I ask a bizarre question? Last week when I went to purchase the USB wall sockets I had a rather bizarre experience. There was a queue and the woman in front of me got up to the till and asked about getting a "cellphone".

I was rather taken aback when the chap at the till (a tall English chap who I think is the manager) went over to a computer and started bringing up all the smartphones on the screen and asking her which was her favourite. He was taking all the time in the world discussing the options with her. I was left standing there waiting until I plucked up the courage to ask one of the other staff members to take my money!!

I thought Argos was the kind of place where you figure out what you want yourself from the catalogue and then go into the shop with the code. I didn't think you could get the personal touch of asking for advice and recommendations. Like you don't go into the chipper and expect to be assigned a staff member to help you decide what you want, if ya know what I mean. Am I mistaken about Argos?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭corkie

Can I ask a bizarre question? Last week when I went to purchase the USB wall sockets I had a rather bizarre experience.
    I didn't think you could get the personal touch of asking for advice and recommendations. Like you don't go into the chipper and expect to be assigned a staff member to help you decide what you want, if ya know what I mean. Am I mistaken about Argos?

Not to restart the discussion about your purchase, did you manage to fit them yourself?

Why didn't you just use the self service till/machine?

• Advertisement

Still waiting for my handyman brother to get around to it. Thanks for the detailed help though. I usually do use the self service but I only had cash on me this time and I don't believe you can pay with cash at that? Could be wrong. Only ever used my debit card with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,079 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I didn't think you could get the personal touch of asking for advice and recommendations.
    That actually happens quite a lot especially with jewellery for example. Got great service myself a couple of times in the past when I was buying a watch and on another occasion when buying a necklace for the missus.

As you know they wont really discuss any old thing from the catalogue but it seems as though most of the items "on display" in the shop can be viewed and handled before purchasing.

muffler wrote: »
    That actually happens quite a lot especially with jewellery for example. Got great service myself a couple of times in the past when I was buying a watch and on another occasion when buying a necklace for the missus.

As you know they wont really discuss any old thing from the catalogue but it seems as though most of the items "on display" in the shop can be viewed and handled before purchasing.

In all fairness to them- they brought out a case of Minecraft blind boxes for me to rummage through to sort out the barcodes- so Santa would have a complete set for my son's stocking- and gave me a ring when the next series were launched before they were up on their website- so I could have another rummage. The staff- esp. the manager- can be absolute dotes. It does depend on who you get- but as a rule of thumb- they're nice people, easy to deal with- and of all the retailers, if something ever breaks- I hope its something I got in Argos- as their returns policy is second to none. The fact that they e-mail you your receipt makes this a doddle now- no more boxes of paper receipts in an old biscuit tin!

I gave up on the email receipts. I have a funny surname and after spending five minutes spelling it out for them I never got anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I gave up on the email receipts. I have a funny surname and after spending five minutes spelling it out for them I never got anything.

what I can't understand is why if you reserve something online can't they just send it to that address automatically

• Registered Users Posts: 32,774 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Getting out of stock when I go to reserve anywhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

None of those work on mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

It can be ordered for collection,
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7004322.htm?_$ja=tsid%3A30390%7Cprd%3A7708057

Edit. it won't let you place the reservation .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Doesn't work when you order it, comes up unavailable and a blank reservation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,421 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

it says you can but when you actually go to reserve the item it doesnt work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement