Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Chat Thread #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

http://www.aceronline.es/acer-aspire-es1-512-c3ah-nx-mrweb-003.html

Spotted this as well, googled the model:

'Intel Celeron N2840 (2c, 2t) 2.16GHz (turbo 2.58GHz), 4Gb RAM, 500Gb SATA, 15.6" LED HD 1366x768, Intel® HD Graphics, No DVD, HDMI, WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, Webcam 0.3MPx, USB 3.0, Batería 3.220mAh, Windows 8.1 con Bing, 2.4 Kg,'

-
    4 gb RAM, would it be a mistype on argos? and would you have a right to another 8gb ram acer if this one is 4g ram.?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

shineon23 wrote: »

'Intel Celeron N2840 (2c, 2t) 2.16GHz (turbo 2.58GHz), 4Gb RAM, 500Gb SATA, 15.6" LED HD 1366x768, Intel® HD Graphics, No DVD, HDMI, WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, Webcam 0.3MPx, USB 3.0, Batería 3.220mAh, Windows 8.1 con Bing, 2.4 Kg,'

-
    4 gb RAM, would it be a mistype on argos? and would you have a right to another 8gb ram acer if this one is 4g ram.?:)

Not to mention 500GB lost in translation:)
    Was about to check their website to see what specs are available for that model but it is offline:confused:

333140.png

Acer never was a good brand imo and their website just proved it.

My sister still has a 6 years old laptop that I got her as a present and it works just fine, though, slow but fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

shineon23 wrote: »

-

I suspect its a different model- the Argos one also claims to have a DVD-RW, whereas the one in your link has no optical drive.

There is a version of this laptop for sale in PC World/Currys at the moment- for 259- with 4Gb of RAM, 500Gb HDD and no optical drive. It was 199 for 1 day (Stephens Day)- no idea if anyone here bought one- if they did- they certainly kept quiet about it.

Its plausible- RAM is cheap as chips- and there is actually no difference in the wholesale price for the larger hard-drive, the optical drive is probably 10-15 quid- all of which would be less than difference in price with the lower spec'ed PC World model.

I'm guessing its genuine- and not a pricing error.

The higher spec'ed one is on a few Spanish websites- including Amazon.es - at less than the Argos price........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Soarer

The spec you posted above says no optical drive?

Soarer wrote: »
    The spec you posted above says no optical drive?

I got that from Amazon.

This is from Argos:

The Aspire ES1-512 is the affordable notebook perfectly built for everyday tasks. With a battery life of up to 7 hours you can experience all day computing on a single charge. The Acer Aspire ES1-512 also features precision touchpad that reduces unintended taps.

With up to 7 hours of battery life, you can stay connected for a full work day - or a flight. The easy grip ensures that your laptop can be safely and securely grasped in all situations.
    The precision touchpad (PTP) means that those unintended taps are reduced, enabling an improved navigation experience.

CPU, Memory and Operating System:

Intel Celeron N2840 dual core processor.
    2.16GHz processor speed.
    8GB RAM.
    1000GB SATA hard drive.
    Microsoft Windows 8.1Microsoft Windows 8.1 operating system.

Display features:

15.6 inch screen.
    High definition display.
    Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.

DVD optical drives:

DVD-RW (read/write).

Graphics:

IntelDDR3L SDRAM graphics card.
    Shared graphics card.

Interfaces and connectivity:

SD media card reader.
    Secure Digital (SD), Memory Stick (MS), Multi-Media Card (MMC) compatible.
    2 USB 2.0 ports.
    1 USB 3.0 port.
    1 Ethernet port.
    1 HDMI port.
    Bluetooth.
    Wi-Fi enabled.

Multimedia features:

Built-in mic.

General features:

Up to 7 hours battery life.
    Size H26.1, W38.2, D25.8cm.
    Weight 2.4kg.

(If you click anywhere on the above- it will bring you straight to the Argos page for the product)

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wouldn't say it's a bargain exactly, the N2840 is a very low-end, weak processor and 8GB ram is essentially wasted on a machine of that spec - anything that uses 8GB of ram would have choked to death on the processor before RAM became an issue! Models with the same processor but 4GB of ram can be had for €249 from Dell....and were on sale in Tesco for €199 recently (4Gb Ram/500GB Hard drive)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

mcw92 wrote: »
    Very good value laptop on sale for a actual shop with good stock

The CPU, is comparable to a lot of popular i3's such as the i3-3210M.
    6GB and 1TB HD is more than enough IMO.

Down from €479.99 to €359.99.
    I picked up this one myself. Cheers mcw92.
    It's a bit dearer, a fair bit of stock too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

mcw92 wrote: »
    Very good value laptop on sale for a actual shop with good stock

The CPU, is comparable to a lot of popular i3's such as the i3-3210M.
    6GB and 1TB HD is more than enough IMO.

Down from €479.99 to €359.99.
    I picked up this one myself. Cheers mcw92.
    It's a bit dearer, a fair bit of stock though.

Not ridiculously cheap- but good value- and should be fine for general internet browsing and office work

Price = 299

Stock low (there are less than 30 of them nationwide- and they're vanishing as I speak!)

Link here

Acer Aspire ES1-512-C3AH

Technical Details
    Brand Acer
    Item Weight 2.4 Kg
    Product Dimensions 50 x 30.6 x 6 cm
    Item model number NX.MRWEB.003
    Series Aspire ES1-512-C3AH
    Form Factor Portable
    Screen Size 15.6 inches
    Processor Brand Intel ®
    Processor Speed 2160 MHz (Turbo 2480 MHz)
    Processor Count 2
    RAM Size 8192 MB
    Hard Drive Size 1000 GB
    Graphics Chipset Brand Intel ®
    Graphics Card Description HD GPU
    Wireless Type 802.11B, 802.11G, 802.11n (2.4GHz band only)
    Number of USB 2.0 Ports 2
    Optical Drive Type nein
    Lithium Battery Energy Content 3220 milliamp_hours
    Lithium Battery Weight 400 Grams

Exact model is actually ES1-512-C50S

Got one in Galway.
    Initial impressions quite favourable- default on it is the classic desktop (as opposed to the Metro tiles- which was a good start).

Annoying habit of no POST screen when you turn it on- I'd like to delve into the settings and change them.

Wifi is 2.4Ghz only- good antennas- but only single band.

Processor- is low end- but sufficient.

Intial setup involved downloading over 3Gb of updates- quite startling, if you're not expecting it.

Bloatware- is substantial- I have yet to run PC Decrapifier on it.

Price has now increased to 374.99 - it was a bargain at 299.99- I wouldn't consider its current price to be worthwhile.........

Good purchase- but looking pricey given its specs at current price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Good purchase- but looking pricey given its specs at current price.
    You said it; the other one mcw92 linked to for €359.99 is a no-brainer, for anyone still looking. Picked one up yesterday for the daughter. That price is valid until 16/01, or as long as stocks hold out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭BEB

Is anyone else getting error messages like this when they browse on argos website????

Generic Application Error

Error Type Error Message Key Message Originating Command
    _ERR_USER_AUTHORITY
    User The user does not have the authority to run this command "Browse".
    System

Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

Getting the same message here as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Acme MW12 Wireless Mouse - €4.99 / RRP €19.99. Only a few in stock but can be ordered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Any good notebook offers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭peckerhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Crayola Pencil Design and Colour Set. Was €19.99 now €7.99. Was previously on-sale for lower, but still a good price.
    Product Code: 239/1346

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

Good deal on microwave if anyone is looking for one good reductions on it. Seems to be stock everywhere .

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4007456/Trail/searchtext%3EGREAT+DEALS+ON+SELECTED+MICROWAVES.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭pah

DubDJ wrote: »
    Acme MW12 Wireless Mouse - €4.99 / RRP €19.99. Only a few in stock but can be ordered.

Thanks, just reserved one in mahon

DubDJ wrote: »

HA HA the product maker is ACME

ACME_by_OtakuMako.jpg

Actually ACME has an older meaning referring to be the very best of something. Of course the cartoons undermined all that....

Actually ACME has an older meaning referring to be the very best of something. Of course the cartoons undermined all that....

Well I'll be .... you learn something everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

ps4 white 330 euro 1 left in argos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

vicwatson wrote: »

They have them in different colours for 3.99 also

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=+ColourMatch+Paper+Table+Lamp+&authToken=

Got the last two red ones in Argos the crescent limerick as she loves the color red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Fuschia man, Fuschia !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Tusky wrote: »
    Is 15.6 considered a notebook?

yes, a notebook is a laptop, maybe you're muddling terminology (netbook v notebook)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement