Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Chat Thread #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

irishgeo wrote: »
    Got it on amazon a few quid cheaper.

€184 on Amazon now but at least in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

Any one got a code for this laptop?
    It hasn't been in stock since mid December.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2923776.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

billbond4 wrote: »
    Any one got a code for this laptop?
    It hasn't been in stock since mid December.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2923776.htm

Ah why even try. That looks like a terrible laptop.
    Give it half a year to a year and it will slow down to a crawl.

Wife just wants to be able to use excel and word when she has spare few minutes between meetings, I will disable updates so it should be ok

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

At which stage- you back up your data, wipe the hard-drive and do a fresh reinstall, and everything is back to factory settings.

• Advertisement

At which stage- you back up your data, wipe the hard-drive and do a fresh reinstall, and everything is back to factory settings.

Yeah or might throw in ssd drive to speed her up, (the laptop not the wife) :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Laptop accessory bundle - €38.99

For peeps who might have picked up a laptop bargain :)

http://checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=2813329

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Yeah fair enough I know how to do so...not everybody does...my mother is half decent at using PC's wouldn't have a clue how to restore windows. My gfs family gets confused at the word backup, so never mind the restore part... I'd always just say save up and spend 3 times what that laptop is and get something decent that will last you years to come.

People go all out buying 600 700 euro phones but won't spend the same on a laptop or a desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭pah

for €200 that would be a great little machine to run linux on

• Advertisement

pah wrote: »
    for €200 that would be a great little machine to run linux on
    Yeah but she just wants word and excel on it,it won't be used for anything heavy.
    Its not worth spending more than 300e as it won't be used a huge amount

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd always just say save up and spend 3 times what that laptop is and get something decent that will last you years to come.

Dearer laptops are still going to clag down over time - you're effectively just paying more for more power to waste.

Its well worth nuking a laptop immediately after you get it too; there's so much muck installed by the manufacturers these days that you're not going to get the most of out it from day 1. Toshiba consumer laptops are far and away the worst for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

L1011 wrote: »
    Dearer laptops are still going to clag down over time - you're effectively just paying more for more power to waste.

Its well worth nuking a laptop immediately after you get it too; there's so much muck installed by the manufacturers these days that you're not going to get the most of out it from day 1. Toshiba consumer laptops are far and away the worst for this.

That's complete crap, a laptop will not clog up or clag as you call it if it's used properly, mine cost £450 6 years ago and it's as good as day one, I regularly clean mine using ccleaner

For the boardsie wanting a laptop just for word ect , go for it
    Can't go wrong for that money

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's complete crap, a laptop will not clog up or clag as you call it if it's used properly, mine cost £450 6 years ago and it's as good as day one, I regularly clean mine using ccleaner

Read the full post I was quoting (not just the section I quoted)

The kind of user who doesn't understand what a backup is is absolutely going to end up with their OS install in ribbons within a few years.

Spending excess cash just to avoid having to do any maintenance work is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

Hi guys spotted this chest of drawers, 3337062. the white colour is €22.98 but the oak and black versions are €223.98. According to check argos it can be ordered for collection everywhere in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 28,947 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

th283 wrote: »
    Hi guys spotted this chest of drawers, 3337062. the white colour is €22.98 but the oak and black versions are €223.98. According to check argos it can be ordered for collection everywhere in the country

Typo. Won't be honoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭a_noodle_jenny

Do they not honour typos? That's a great price - wouldn't pay the price with the extra digit on the left hand side of the decimal point!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

They have honoured misprices in the past if you have a print out or copy of your reservation.

These have been this price for more than a week, but with limited stock around the country, I've looked on check argos over the last few days and numbers in stock have been going down so it appears they have been selling

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Just ordered one for next week - will let ye know if I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Jayprey

I imagine they'll honour it if you go in with your print out. More than likely they'll try to ring you beforehand to explain it was a typo but if they don't you have a very good chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Quazzie wrote: »
    Typo. Won't be honoured.

€223.98 must be a typo:eek:

£159.98 on UK website - the pictures don't do it a justice, apparently:D
    It is white in an oak effect so must be beatiful:

334953.png
    Handles and all - great value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

th283 wrote: »

Just ordered 2 for collection so will see what the story is!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Can only order it for collection now it seems, and the earliest I can get it ordered for is the 17th but the 'current selling price' is only until the 16th so even if I managed to successfully order one, which I can't seem to do (it keeps failing), I don't think they'd honour the price lol

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Tried ordering and even though it is saying you can order for delivery sat-mon, when you type in details and reserve, it comes up out of stock. They must have realised the error.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

GaGa21 wrote: »
    Tried ordering and even though it is saying you can order for delivery sat-mon, when you type in details and reserve, it comes up out of stock. They must have realised the error.

Getting same as you, maybe they have x number on the system so once it goes over that number we get out of stock, or as you said they noticed the mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Susandublin

pah wrote: »
    Well in fairness i had it 10 months and it developed a screen issue. Allegedly it was sent to samsung but it came back the same way so they've offered to replace it or give credit. Fair enough imo.

That happened me - got an I-pod mini and it didn't work. They sent it away but came back the same. Had awful trouble trying to get my money back - all happened within 5 days of purchase but because it was open they wouldn't give me money back. Complete joke. I explained I had to open it to see if it was faulty but got the whole "computer says no" reply. Got sorted eventually but was not overly impressed. Think for small items it's good but if something breaks then your bargain will not seem like a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Can only order it for collection now it seems, and the earliest I can get it ordered for is the 17th but the 'current selling price' is only until the 16th so even if I managed to successfully order one, which I can't seem to do (it keeps failing), I don't think they'd honour the price lol

Current selling price is up until 16th because their new catalogue is out on the 17th .
    I ordered one too and instead of the usual email where they name and prove it I got a basic one saying they'll let me know when my order is in .Fingers crossed
    .Thanks op

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I just got a blank confirmation e-mail- no product details or anything on it. Thats me out. Dammit- I really could have done with at least 3 of these.........

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

I just got a blank confirmation e-mail- no product details or anything on it. Thats me out. Dammit- I really could have done with at least 3 of these.........

Me too but I took a screen shot with the price and hopefully they will stand by it ,worth a try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flutterby80

shardylan wrote: »
    Me too but I took a screen shot with the price and hopefully they will stand by it ,worth a try

There will probably be a bulletin on the till for the sales assistant to read out explaining that there was an error on the website. The price doesn't have to be honored if you are told about the error at point of purchase. I will check it out when I'm back in work tomorrow and let ye know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement