Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Chat Thread #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

_Jumper_ wrote: »
    Ive a wafer thin led and it'd blow the head of ya volume wise at any number north of 50....and it goes to 100.

Something wrong with folk spending that money on a speaker for a tv.

It's not just about volume but quality of sound.

Subwoofer is very useful for action movies - I doubt you will get a decent low frequencies from built in speaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Ky Abu wrote: »
    Hi yeah, checked in store today. It is a Uk Freeview compatible TV, NOT Saorview. Would need to get a Saorview box with it. That makes it less of a bargain. Unless you picked up a Saorview on the cheap.

Would you be able to get the Saorview channels in Ireland just off a typical Irish Aerial or do you need a Dish??

I wouldn't rely on what you're being told in store tbh - most staff just don't have a grasp of the detail.

I've 2 standard Freeview LG's that deliver Saorview with no issues whatsoever.

I know the advice you'll often see given on boards is 'if it's not Freeview HD, it won't do Saorview', but that's not a hard & fast rule by any means.

For the past few years, many 'standard' Freeview sets have had the requisite goodies on-board to deliver Saorview i.e. DVB-T + MPEG4 + MHEG5.

You'll receive Saorview via aerial btw.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

wonski wrote: »
    It's not just about volume but quality of sound.

Subwoofer is very useful for action movies - I doubt you will get a decent low frequencies from built in speaker.

I feed FLAC through it all the time- the quality of the sound is quite remarkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭_Jumper_

I feed FLAC through it all the time- the quality of the sound is quite remarkable.

Music?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

_Jumper_ wrote: »
    Music?

Concerts, recitals, different genre........ You do really notice a difference when you're using a quality speaker- its well worth paying a few quid extra for a decent speaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Concerts, recitals, different genre........ You do really notice a difference when you're using a quality speaker- its well worth paying a few quid extra for a decent speaker.

...and of course using a high quality codec too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ky Abu

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I wouldn't rely on what you're being told in store tbh - most staff just don't have a grasp of the detail.

I know the advice you'll often see given on boards is 'if it's not Freeview HD, it won't do Saorview', but that's not a hard & fast rule by any means.

For the past few years, many 'standard' Freeview sets have had the requisite goodies on-board to deliver Saorview i.e. DVB-T + MPEG4 + MHEG5.

Worth trying so? Would Argos be likely to take back without an issue if it does not deliver Saorview?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

LG 24MT46 24 Inch Full HD LED TV seems to have a saorview tuner. But not a sat tuner. Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    LG 24MT46 24 Inch Full HD LED TV seems to have a saorview tuner. But not a sat tuner. Is that correct?

Check for DVB-T and/or DVB-S (T=terrestrial, S=satellite)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Is this the same TV? It has a "D" at the end of the model number but i think it is the same one?

http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-24MT46D
    Under specs:
    "Tuner Input Yes (DVB-T/C), PAL/SECAM"

In the Q&A section on Argos UK page for this TV :

"Is this TV MPEG4 or Saorview approved?
    I have been in touch with the supplier and I can confirm that this product has Mpeg 4"

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerm/%2509262%252F7182.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Worth trying so? Would Argos be likely to take back without an issue if it does not deliver Saorview?
    If sold up north or if they sell it as a monitor then it doesn't have to support Saorview.

But if it was sold as a TV in the Republic then is must show Saorview picture and sound because there

Otherwise it's Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980
    Goods must be fit for their purpose – they must do what they are reasonably expected to do
    Goods must be as described - the buyer must not be mislead into buying something by the description of goods or services given orally by a salesperson or an advertisement.

If sold up north or if they sell it as a monitor then it doesn't have to support Saorview.

But if it was sold as a TV in the Republic then is must show Saorview picture and sound because there

Goods must be fit for their purpose – they must do what they are reasonably expected to do
    Goods must be as described - the buyer must not be mislead into buying something by the description of goods or services given orally by a salesperson or an advertisement.

The question that needs to be answered is... Assuming it does support Saorview... Is it a BARGAIN?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

Various Xbox One bundles going for €349.99 at the moment until close of business on Monday.

Halo Bundle

Forza 5 Bundle

Sunset Overdrive Bundle

Assassins Creed Unity Bundle

Console by itself (without the Kinect)

Yamanoto wrote: »

Your proabably right.... But...

Just had a friend of mine check in Argos in Tralee & Killarney just today, both said, its a Freeview.. wouldnt work Saorview. If you buy, and Saorview doesnt work, no refund!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I thought retailers in Ireland weren't allowed sell non saorview capable TVs anymore or did I get that wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

kmurph wrote: »
    Various Xbox One bundles going for €349.99 at the moment until close of business on Monday.

Halo Bundle

Forza 5 Bundle

Sunset Overdrive Bundle

Assassins Creed Unity Bundle

Console by itself (without the Kinect)

Minecraft game also free in special offer tab

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭m4rkiz

if it was sold as a TV in the Republic then is must show Saorview picture and sound because there

well I wouldn't expect tv to have Saorview 'for sure' if it isn't mentioned anywhere in the product description, just like i wouldn't expect any product to have any special functions if they are not mentioned in description

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

m4rkiz wrote: »
    well I wouldn't expect tv to have Saorview 'for sure' if it isn't mentioned anywhere in the product description, just like i wouldn't expect any product to have any special functions if they are not mentioned in description

But the point is that by calling and describing it as a TV the retailer is guaranteeing that it has Saorview because it is unlawful to sell a TV now which is not capable of Saorview reception out of the box.

It does not have to be stated on the box anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Your proabably right.... But...

Just had a friend of mine check in Argos in Tralee & Killarney just today, both said, its a Freeview.. wouldnt work Saorview. If you buy, and Saorview doesnt work, no refund!

Thankfully consumer law trumps whatever jazz interpretation of your rights retail staff erroneously provide you with.

Item's being sold as a TV, so they must ensure it has the capability to deliver Saorview - otherwise what they are essentially selling is a monitor and as such, the item is not as described. Now in this case that clearly needs some qualification, as you've been told in advance of purchase that it will not do Saorview.

I'd suggest you speak with LG & ascertain whether the set is DVB-T + MPEG4 + MHEG5.

If so, it will deliver Saorview without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

When it comes to electricals, the likes of Argos/Currys/PC World are blind to (or choose to ignore) the different standards between Uk & Ireland! You'd be hard pressed to buy a phone, for example, without a BT connector, but you are 'gifted' an adapter :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭kooga

The philips tvs argos sells are not saorview but freeview yet they do pick up the irish channels through the following feature which is staed where relevant:

Please note: this TV receives Irish channels through MPEG4 feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

kooga wrote: »
    The philips tvs argos sells are not saorview but freeview yet they do pick up the irish channels through the following feature which is staed where relevant:

Please note: this TV receives Irish channels through MPEG4 feature.

Are they not Freeview HD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Grand Theft Auto 5 Walkthrough Guide.

Was 19.49 / previously on sale for 6.99

Now 5.99

Checkargos link

208-1216549aSPA80UC1508348M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭kooga

Are they not Freeview HD?

no not freeview hd, the spec is dvb-t with mpeg 4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Kindle Paperwhite 3G - €105 reduced from 159

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

ablelocks wrote: »
    Kindle Paperwhite 3G - €105 reduced from 159

Best use Checkargos, no stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=3257881

Philips 58PUS6809 58In 4K Ultra HD Freeview HD 3D Smart TV, €1299 was €4120

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Pro Fitness Dumbbell Tree Set, 302/4399 these are okay quality and perfect if your fitness thoughts turn out to be short term

€12.99 and in stock everywhere

31-3024399A71UC557582M.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Chad Valley 104 Piece Play Food Set

Was 13.49, previously on sale for 9.17

Now €5.49

Checkargos link

333-3844270SPA82UC1678435X.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement