Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Chat Thread #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I didn't feel the need to fully explain it in the first place. I didn't expect a case of sour grapes tbh.
    As the wise poster above pointed out. You missed your chance because you didn't walk into the store like my friend did.
    If you read the link it says you couldn't reserve online anyway!

I reserved from the Navan store as I said above. To be honest I didn't expect someone this morning to walk in and take all three. Yes, missed my chance but still greed in my opinion.

Exactly why I didn't reserve all three Friday evening myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Lemlin wrote: »
    I saw three in stock Friday evening and reserved one. I wouldn't agree with taking all three which is why I didn't reserve all three.

Yes, I did miss my chance but my own personal opinion is that I don't agree with someone driving round the country picking them all up so nobody else gets the bargain.

If he's distributing them out amongst his associates at face value then how is nobody else getting a bargain?

If he's distributing them out amongst his associates at face value then how is nobody else getting a bargain?

I'd be highly sceptical of someone having seven friends who all need yearly PSN subscriptions at the one time.

I reserved from the Navan store as I said above. To be honest I didn't expect someone this morning to walk in and take all three. Yes, missed my chance but still greed in my opinion.

Exactly why I didn't reserve all three Friday evening myself.
    More fool you if you seriously didn't expect these to absolutely fly out the door.
    What difference between three people walking in to buy them, and one person walking in on behalf of three?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

I think the poimt here is that by reserving 5 he's making it super easy for his mates to collect at their leisure.
    Someone who's prepared to put in more effort may deserve a pop at them first.
    Having said that everyone has friends.
    It's a tough one.

• Advertisement

I'd be highly sceptical of someone having seven friends who all need yearly PSN subscriptions at the one time.

Mine is up in two months, my pals is up one. Not sure about the others but they'll just add them on straight away.
    What's your point?
    Those grapes sure are sour.

More fool you if you seriously didn't expect these to absolutely fly out the door.
    What difference between three people walking in to buy them, and one person walking in on behalf of three?!

I did expect them to fly out the door but not all three in 29 minutes this morning. My reservation only expired last night.

No difference at all in the scenario. It's him taking eight that takes the biscuit IMO.

Like I said, it'd be nice to even leave one or two there for others rather than taking all eight.

Mine is up in two months, my pals is up one. Not sure about the others but they'll just add them on straight away.
    What's your point?
    Those grapes sure are sour.

The point like I said originally is that it's greedy. I haven't moved off that point.

long_b wrote: »
    I think the poimt here is that by reserving 5 he's making it super easy for his mates to collect at their leisure.
    Someone who's prepared to put in more effort may deserve a pop at them first.
    Having said that everyone has friends.
    It's a tough one.
    Still a fair bit of effort needed, he has to drive to Monaghan from the far end of Cavan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Lads stop talking ****e and move on :P

• Advertisement

The point like I said originally is that it's greedy. I haven't moved off that point.
    It doesn't make your point even slightly right though does it?!
    It's just what you think. The chap has gone to some effort to hook up his friends.
    How is that greed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

so a load of pals who buy playstations to play online with each other is unheard of then? :confused: damn what does santy do?
    also was it navan or cavan you had it booked in? it wasnt 8 it was 3 and tbh if any of my pals or family wanted something and I saw a bargain I would ring them and ask them myself and pick them up for them. And thats not me being greedy.

It doesn't make your point even slightly right though does it?!
    It's just what you think. The chap has gone to some effort to hook up his friends.
    How is that greed?

Fair play to him. He's some man like I said that uses his own fuel to drive round the country for others. No wonder he has seven mates who all need PSN credit. He has to be a popular guy.

Sold out in the south now anyway Argos say so that's the end of that.

daytob wrote: »
    so a load of pals who buy playstations to play online with each other is unheard of then? :confused: damn what does santy do?
    also was it navan or cavan you had it booked in? it wasnt 8 it was 3 and tbh if any of my pals or family wanted something and I saw a bargain I would ring them and ask them myself and pick them up for them. And thats not me being greedy.

I was in Navan Friday evening. They had no stock. I booked one in Cavan from the Navan store. They showed as having three Friday night.

Reservation ended last night. I went in at 11.29 this morning and all three were gone.

It was eight because the poster said he also reserved five in Monaghan and got them this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnf26

wow whats the big deal about how many one guy got...jesus if you walked into a shop and bought 8packs of crisps and then they were sold out would you give out about it?no because he got them first same goes for the psn cards. The guy was quick to get them products there not going to sit there and wait for that special person lol. Fair balls to him if i could have got a few i would have aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

As long as they don't end up on adverts for 30 euro, i couldn't give a **** how many he got.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭DaisyDLady

jesus will ye relax.

if ye are that bothered about them, they can be reserved over the phone useing the phone reservation system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

To be honest its more the fact people would come in posting they got 5 or 8 or whatever. Dont know why people would be surprised when people are irked a bit at that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Corholio wrote: »
    To be honest its more the fact people would come in posting they got 5 or 8 or whatever. Dont know why people would be surprised when people are irked a bit at that.

I agree- its akin to those people who were clearing out branches of other offers- only to put them up on adverts as 'unwanted presents' and near full price.

It leaves a bad taste in people's mouths- and makes many of us less likely to post bargains when its obvious that the good will of people is being so blatantly abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I wonder what people would say if it was the Mac from a few months ago on offer and someone said they got 4 of them for friends would it be a different reaction

No luck in childers rd the girl behind the counter said they may come in again but wasn't certain guess I might try tomorrow or Tuesday

• Advertisement

DaisyDLady wrote: »
    jesus will ye relax.

if ye are that bothered about them, they can be reserved over the phone useing the phone reservation system.

Sold out in ROI now.

I too think it's greed to be honest. If he only got wind of the offer from boards and then went and bought the lot then I agree with Lemlin that's it's out of order and pure greed. Him coming into the thread and bragging about it is adding insult to injury. What's that all about? Are we supposed to be impressed that he left none for the rest of us?

Oh and the excuse that he got eight of them for his friends is a well worn get out of jail card often used here down the years. Adding twenty percent on and then selling them to all and sundry more like!!! :D

OK. For the 50th time.
    No one is profiteering from this.
    The codes have been fairly distributed among 8 very grateful people including myself.
    If anyone else is still upset after this then it is simple begrudgery and I'm genuinely happy that you're butthurt.
    My friends and myself got a great deal, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I too think it's greed to be honest. If he only got wind of the offer from boards and then went and bought the lot then I agree with Lemlin that's it's out of order and pure greed. Him coming into the thread and bragging about it is adding insult to injury. What's that all about? Are we supposed to be impressed that he left none for the rest of us?

Oh and the excuse that he got eight of them for his friends is a well worn get out of jail card often used here down the years. Adding twenty percent on and then selling them to all and sundry more like!!! :D

Agreed if he got the last 3 no one would be too bothered but when you mention he booked the last 5 in another county then it turns into greed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

OK. For the 50th time.
    No one is profiteering from this.
    The codes have been fairly distributed among 8 very grateful people including myself.
    If anyone else is still upset after this then it is simple begrudgery and I'm genuinely happy that you're butthurt.
    My friends and myself got a great deal, happy days.
    They were bought for €14.99 and sold for €15.

Disgraceful profiteering....

:p

Quazzie wrote: »
    They were bought for €14.99 and sold for €15.

Disgraceful profiteering....

:p
    That did cross my mind alright.
    Also, the codes were distributed by text message, chances are one or two of the lads will end up not paying for them at all!

Hococop wrote: »
    Agreed if he got the last 3 no one would be too bothered but when you mention he booked the last 5 in another county then it turns into greed

Explain to me how picking up the codes for friends translates into greed please?

EDIT.
    Sorry for the thread getting hijacked like this folks. I'll not be posting here again, I just didn't like getting falsely accused of something.
    Best of luck with your future bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Explain to me how picking up the codes for friends translates into greed please?

EDIT.
    Sorry for the thread getting hijacked like this folks. I'll not be posting here again, I just didn't like getting falsely accused of something.

Do you not understand why stating you bought/reserved 8 items of the same thing would annoy people? Really? I don't doubt the validity of the 'friends' thing, but its also something anyone can say. Its the stating of the reserving/buying of multiple things of the same product that would irk me anyway, regardless of how it's been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

EDIT.

No reason to apologise man, don't let the bitterness of a few stop you from posting

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

These bargain thread arguments always go the same way;

great deal is posted; someone goes and buys far too many of the item/cleans out a store(s) - comes into thread to tell everyone (brag?) - people who missed out on it give out and are angry

round and round we go

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement