Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insert Stoves V Stand Alone Stoves

• 04-01-2014 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Have open fireplace & so so sick of it as I still need radiator on the sitting room with the fire to keep the room cosy and its a small enough sitting room. I want to put in a solid fuel range, non boiler one, but unsure whether to go with insert or stand alone. I know the insert ones are more expensive and haven't been around for that long, I don't want to make a mistake and get the wrong one.

I've been to a couple of places to look and given a bit of advice. My 2 options are Stanley Oisin (standalone) or Stanley Cara Insert Stove as they match my room size. Really think the Oisin will come out too far and I'd love the insert as so so tidy.

But anyone give me advice/help on what exactly would the extra cost be to do either. Okay we purchase the stove standalone or insert then what is the cost after this.

Any advice I would really appreciate. There are sales in the next week on the ranges so not really much time to get all my tips together.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

We got a boru croi beag insert stove in sept 12. Its the smallest one they do, compared to others its a very small output.
    And it's roasting when lit, the room really heats up massively. So much so that I've found it trips the central heating thermostat in the hallway!
    Ive a friend who recently got a stanley insert stove and he's having similar toasty results to mine.
    to compare, I visited my in laws over xmas and they have a big sitting room and big open fire, that was lit and full of coal. But I still had to stand over towards it to feel the heat. A stove is definitely the way forward. Also I'm going through far less wood and turf in the smaller stove with a far greater heat output.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Inserts have been around for as long as free standing stoves if not longer.
    The two types really operate differently in the type of heat they give off. The free standing stove is a radiant heater, in that the heat radiates from all sides of the stove & can be excessively hot if the room seating arrangement is close to the stove.
    On the other hand, inserts work by convection, in that they omit warm air circulation through a bottom air intake & an upper air outlet, thus heating the room with warm air.

I have the Cara insert & when I first installed it, my wife taught it was crap. We played around with different fuels & now she thinks it's the best thing since a sliced pan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

Yeah I meant to include that the free standing stoves are generally a bigger output and are probably more suited to a bigger room. Most decent retailers would well advise you anyway

Advertisement