Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 to 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Quinine maybe? Some tonic water before a swim?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Old age. No cure. Sorry :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Old age. No cure. Sorry :p

I'd have expected it to affect my hips first...oh wait....:P

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    I'd have expected it to affect my hips first...oh wait....:P

Nah dodgy hips is all the rage with the young wans like Mcos and myself :D

Nah dodgy hips is all the rage with the middle aged like Mcos and myself :D

Fyp ;). You're obviously still in the denial phase. :D

This evening was to be run with hill repeats then gym. More precisely it was to be leave work on time, have dinner, bring dog to vet for overdue vax (our vet started going to the same gym and I now see him every evening - just outside pet clinic times), go see Miss D playing basketball match, run then gym. By the time I got home, wedged my dinner into me and got to the game (they lost:( ) I didn't have time to both run and gym before gym closed. So I hedged my bets that I'll get the gym in tomorrow evening and got the run done.

Tonight's run was a progression of the last two weeks', just with 10x 20s repeats instead of 6 or 8. So:
    10 min wu zone 2
    Zone 2 to start point
    10x 20s sprint uphill with jog back
    15min zone 3
    5 min zone 2 to CD

Chose a different hill, along n25 outside my former workplace (great to be on the outside!) and ran by light of my good, new headtorch, which was a novelty. Leggings and gloves for the night that was in it and a good choice they were too. Nothing much more to report - went well, calf was fine despite feeling a bit twiggly on the way out.

• Advertisement

Bike night.
    Plan called for 45mins of turbo with a wheelbarrow load of intervals. It seemed like good luck that the gym put on a 45 min spin class on bike night so I signed up. In short it turned out to be just over 30 mins of spinning, standing sprints, sitting sprints, etc and then 15 mins of core (he fitted in most of my normal 30 min core routine into 15 mins - he worked us much harder than I'd normally work by myself). At one stage I thought they'd need to do DNA tests on the puddle on the floor to see who I was! Went from this into my Day 1 weights programme - which took 30 mins.

Slightly short on bike time but I guess I'll try make it up with my next spin (due Sunday) . Off to Dublin again this weekend (Mrs. D doing ANOTHER marathon) so my trail run will be on road and my gym session will have to push to Sunday.

Swim day. Plan called for 30-45mins of technique work. Afternoon went a little awry due to work but got into the pool about 5. Had the lane to myself for most of the time and from the minute I got in I felt unusually relaxed. Started warming up and found I was swimming much less frantically than usual. After 100 fc I launched into 100bs then continued into fc. Swam fc to 1100m - 900m continuous fc, which is a first for me ever! It wasn't fast and I'm sure it wasn't pretty but I'm taking great encouragement from it. Went on to finish out 2000m with mostly fc and the odd 100m of be in 50 mins, again a record for me. Today was a good day for my swimming. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You get a 3-whoop just like Needy! Whoop whoop whoop!!!! :D

Dropped Mrs D to Lusk for her marathon and myself and Master D went up the road to Ardgillan Parkrun. Knew we were in for hills when we ran down a long hill from the car park to the start and the first km was largely downhill. Was cold enough waiting to start but soon got warmed up as we started moving. Stayed with Master D for the first 3km on a mixture of trail paths but he was running comfortably and, having checked his AG course record, I knew he was on to take it so told him to push on a bit. He did and pulled out about 10s on me over the last 2km. The final km was uphill so I wasn't surprised when my time was just under 21:00 after running hard all the way. And Master D. got his AG course record! And Mrs. D won her marathon (4th in a row).

Went for a gentle jog afterwards - about 3k - because I'd planned 50 mins of easy off-road running. Didn't quite add up to that but I'll get the rest tomorrow (Master D was convinced he'd run enough at that stage!).

Real running royalty here!! Well done to you, your better half, and your number one! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Dory.

Recovery run with Mrs. D this morning: 6.13km in 31 mins; 5:03/km, which is pretty much exactly her marathon pace from yesterday. I tried to talk her into slowing down but apparently she was only keeping up with me. It frustrates me that she could be a <3:15 marathon runner if she'd change her training away from just one pace. On the other hand she enjoys what she's doing and how she does it so it's not really any of my business!

Thanks Dory.

Recovery run with Mrs. D this morning: 6.13km in 31 mins; 5:03/km, which is pretty much exactly her marathon pace from yesterday. I tried to talk her into slowing down but apparently she was only keeping up with me. It frustrates me that she could be a <3:15 marathon runner if she'd change her training away from just one pace. On the other hand she enjoys what she's doing and how she does it so it's not really any of my business!

k3n439.jpg

k3n439.jpg

I was half expecting something a lot less subtle alluding to my failure to reach my own supposed potential! :D I'd change the text on that to "you can lead a human to knowledge but you can't make him think...like you". ;)

I was thinking more about this when I was on the bike today and, funnily enough, I'm finally admitting to myself that I have in the past judged myself too much by what other people said and did. In fact, my failed attempts to do huge training plans were being influenced by the work being put in two Iron Hoochies and two ultra-Endurance Adventure Hoochies, when my own ambitions and capacity to train were much more modest. End result was disappointment in myself. So, to make a short point very long & boring, I'm going to suspend my frustration at my perception that Mrs. D could run a faster marathon time and revel in the fact that she's enjoying what she does and is finding it rewarding.

Anyway! Bike today. Late-ish home from Dublin, and had to do my Saturday gym session too, so chose to go to the Wattbike for my 80 mins. Had planned 30km on the road but just stuck it at resistance 5 and plugged away. Got off, a little bandy-legged, 83 mins and 37km later. Then got the weights section of my gym programme done it. (All the while Master D was swimming -110x25m, the fecker).

Week 3 of the training plan:
    Swim - 105%
    Bike - 104%
    Run - 133%
    Gym - 105%
    Happy with that. Feeling good, feeling like I'm making progress!

I was half expecting something a lot less subtle alluding to my failure to reach my own supposed potential! :D

:D
    I'm going to suspend my frustration at my perception that Mrs. D could run a faster marathon time and revel in the fact that she's enjoying what she does and is finding it rewarding.

Very wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Week 3 done already :eek: you're overshooting your targets each week and you're making gains, especially with your swimming. Well done C :) you must be chuffed.

Master D. is among running and tri royalty, a great weekend for all of you. Any junior duathlons coming up that he'd have a go at?

:D

He's doing Mondello on April 2nd -1.6/6/0.6.

Club swim - 8th session in the 10 week block of speed training. Not sure what comes next but I'm looking forward to it. Tonight was 1500m for those of us in the novice lane, partly because myself and one of my lane-mates lost count a bit so we either ended up doing more than we should have or we ended up having done more than we thought we had. Come to think of it, there's not much between the two.

Supposed to be run and gym night but Mrs. D's car is due its test on Friday and I'd a sensor to replace in it. Best way to lose an evening is to do a quick job on a car - it screws in at one end and plugs in at the other but getting the cable up through the engine to plug it in was challenging. Hands and arms are in ribbons - and the bloody warning light is still on so the problem's not fully fixed yet. :mad:

Anyway, training was truncated to a run on the track under floodlights. Plan was 10 min warmup, 15x (20s@5k pace, 40s rec), 5 min cooldown - 30 mins total. When I was doing it I felt I was dragging my heels but the watch tells me I wasn't. Actual paces were:
    10 min @ 4:56/km
    15x 20/40s: 3:20,4:25,3:24,4:36,3:16,4:45,3:26,4:32,3:23,4:39,3:23,4:49,3:26,4:37,3:18,4:40,3:27,4:41,3:22,4:31,3:22,4:33,3:27,4:48,3:32,4:37,3:29,4:41,3:30,4:38
    5 min @ 5:36/km
    Extra 2:30@5:20/km to round it up to 7km in 32.5 mins.

Of course I'm bloody hyper now.

Work and life interrupted me again tonight. Missed spin class and was ravenous so went for dinner when I got home. By the time that was done there was time for tonight's bike or last night's gym but not both. So I went with bike (spin bike).

Session was to be short and sprinty: 10min warmup, 10x (30s high cadence/low resistance, 30s recovery), 5 min cooldown. Of course I lost the drift of that during the 1.5km drive to the gym and ended up doing 15x. Total (simulated) distance was 19.5km in 30 sweaty mins.

• Advertisement

Bless me Boardsies for I have sinned. It's been 6 days since my last log update.....

So after Thursday's bike was supposed to follow Friday's weights and swim. Mrs. D's nct came first though (passed, so Wednesday's arm-shredding efforts paid off) and she was heading off later in the same car, leaving the little Ds in my care, so time was limited. I did the gym bit and simultaneously increased my reps and switched from circuits to 3 sets of each exercise before moving on to the next one. So my arms were hanging off before I was finished. It was a actually a relief to have run out of time for a swim cos when I sat down to dinner I had to put my forearms on the table and push down at the elbows to lever my arms up to my mouth! Sure I'll fit the swim in after the run on Saturday.

Saturday
    I may have mentioned before that (aside from going on Boards) the most efficient way to kill a few hours is to do a quick job on a car. A 20-min job turned into a 4-hour tour of hardware shops and auto factors looking for that one tool to finish the job. Ended up borrowing one and missing my swim and run to get it finished. :mad:

Sunday
    Master D was up early to go to a music competition so I got up too and chose a brick session to get my Saturday run and Sunday bike done. The run was supposed to be 30 mins easy off-road and the bike was to be 45 mins steady (in retrospect this may have been intended to be a step-back week - oh well) but that became 89 mins on the bike (40.7km) and 10.4km run (49 mins). I was pretty much toasted after that. The 2nd gym session and gentle swim were still on the cards till late afternoon but I ended up bringing Lexi for a long walk in the woods instead.

So I ended week 4 short on both swimming and gym. :( Figures vs. Plan as follows:
    Swim: 44%
    Bike:121%
    Run: 103%
    Gym: 89%

Week 5
    Monday - rest. I completed this. :D. I may have to move my rest day around a couple of weeks - I'm after getting involved in a wee project that will see me unable to train on another day per week, so if I can turbo instead of resting on a Monday then I'm grand. I just need to watch out that I'm not bet for club swim on Tuesdays.

Tuesday
    Club swim. Repeat of 100m & 200m timed sprint sets. 1350m total.

Wednesday
    Run - hill repeats. 10min warmup, zone 2; 6x (30s uphill sprint, jog back); 15 mins zone 3, 5 mins zone 2. Ended up at 7.15km in 42mins with my hill repeat paces registered as 3:39,3:49,3:47,3:49,3:53,3:57. I was obviously tiring as I went.

Gym - 30 mins of strength training.

...and the week hasn't improved much. Working late Thursday so got nothing done. Supposed to finish at lunchtime on Fri but it was nearly 4:30. Was nearly 6 when I got home and was going out with the family in the evening so again nothing done. :mad:

So I was left with Thursday's turbo, Friday's swim, Saturday's run + gym and Sunday's cycle, all undone. Today I made a dent in that - got the 40 min turbo (well spin bike) done (10 min wu, 10x (30s flat out, 90s recovery), 10 min CD). The flat out 30s were standing, though this got progressively more difficult as they went on. Was going to go swim after that but 4/6 lanes were taken by the swimming club and the remaining two were occupied by families floating around. So I went for my strength session instead - 30 mins of weights. Nearly time for a new programme because I'm up to the full reps and am increasing the weight over what's planned. Tomorrow's Master D's birthday so that will be the focus of the day - still have to try get out for some training though.

Sunday
    Went into this with a swim, a bike and a run outstanding. Briefly deluded myself that I might get all 3 done but instead brought the kids and Lexi to the park to play basketball; 15 min walk each way + an hour of playing. Was pretty tired after that. It's Master D's birthday today so treated him to his favourite lunch.

After that I hit the bike for what was supposed to be a hilly 75mins ridden in the saddle to built leg strength. Picked the hilliest route I could and did 36km in 90 mins, including a trip to the top of Sliabh Coillte.

Got home and changed to runners and drove to the local woods for a mushy 6 laps (9.2km) of hilly trail running, to fulfil the plan's requirement of 45 mins easy on hilly trails. That took about 50 mins but wasn't terribly easy. I find it difficult to run below zone 3, especially on soft/hilly ground.

Finished another week with a missed session and again it's the sport I'm supposed to be focussing on. It's ridiculous.
    Swim: 39%
    Run: 116%
    Bike: 102%
    Gym: 100%

What is Master D's favorite lunch??? And look how far you've come with your training load! Yes, you need to up the swim a bit, but you know what needs to be done, so don't fret. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    What is Master D's favorite lunch???

Oh nothing fancy - just sausages, rashers & white pudding in a bread roll. It's just that we don't tend to have it frequently - processed meat, lots of fat, etc. We got a Big George grill recently so that helps mitigate the fat.
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    And look how far you've come with your training load! Yes, you need to up the swim a bit, but you know what needs to be done, so don't fret. :)
    Thanks Dory. You're right but there really is no frustration more frustrating than frustration at oneself!

Monday:
    Rest

Tuesday:
    Club swim season 2 session 10. 1700m total. We're switching now to working on even pacing over longer distances, and boy do I need work on that? (Yes. Yes I do, is the answer). I keep going out too fast then getting progressively slower, even when I deliberately try to set out more slowly. I'll get there though. What's really occupying my mind is the need to get into open water and swim distances of fc. I haven't done that before, but then again I've never been in such a good position to do it. Just need some antifreeze in my blood...or to wait a while. It was May last year when I went in and it was cold, so I'm not nearly ready to give March a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

You'll love it after a few dips, March would be brave .. May be better. I was so Cold last year but by July it was so toasty in comparison, tolerance probably went up. Once the first minute or two passes and you've the head in its fine ;) got the wetsuit sorted ?

Hope you're right S. I haven't committed to any Tris before end of July. Got a wetsuit about 2 1/2 years ago in a fit of blind optimism and have only used it 3 times since. Still fits though!

Late out of work again (anyone else see a pattern?) and was ravenous so went home for dinner instead of to gym. Went on Dad-duty then, delivering & collecting little D's, before hitting the gym. I'd barely 45 mins to do something before it closed so my run + weights session was out, so I took tomorrow night's turbo (spin bike) session instead. Or almost.

What the plan called for was:
    • 10 mins warmup
    • 12x (1 min high cadence, low resistance, <75% HR; 1 min recovery)
    • 10 mins cooldown
    ...and I wanted to get 20 simulated kms covered.

My brain garbled that, however, to make the high cadence segments higher resistance and >75% HR. Then, due to having to wait for a bike, I ran out of time with only 5 mins of the cooldown done. The high cadence segments were >110rpm, so it was taking the full minute to recover, but I exceeded the distance with 21km, so was happy enough.

Tomorrow I'll hopefully get out for the hill repeats session + the weights session (and maybe even a sneaky swim!).

Just when I'd resolved to not do any tris until I've had a good bit of experience in open water, I got a mail inviting me to sign up for one tomorrow at 50% discount because myself & Master D did it last year and hadn't signed up again...... Temptation.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Late out of work again (anyone else see a pattern?) and was ravenous so went home for dinner instead of to gym. Went on Dad-duty then, delivering & collecting little D's, before hitting the gym. I'd barely 45 mins to do something before it closed so my run + weights session was out, so I took tomorrow night's turbo (spin bike) session instead. Or almost.

What the plan called for was:
    • 10 mins warmup
    • 12x (1 min high cadence, low resistance, <75% HR; 1 min recovery)
    • 10 mins cooldown
    ...and I wanted to get 20 simulated kms covered.

My brain garbled that, however, to make the high cadence segments higher resistance and >75% HR. Then, due to having to wait for a bike, I ran out of time with only 5 mins of the cooldown done. The high cadence segments were >110rpm, so it was taking the full minute to recover, but I exceeded the distance with 21km, so was happy enough.

Tomorrow I'll hopefully get out for the hill repeats session + the weights session (and maybe even a sneaky swim!).

Just when I'd resolved to not do any tris until I've had a good bit of experience in open water, I got a mail inviting me to sign up for one tomorrow at 50% discount because myself & Master D did it last year and hadn't signed up again...... Temptation.....

Lough cutra ... Do it

Advertisement