Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 to 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Steroo wrote: »
    Lough cutra ... Do it

Awwww man!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Use the code ctspaddy50 for 50% of their race today, seen it on club webpage, no reason not to now!

Yep that's the one. Very tempted to go back and do the one I did last year for a back-to-back comparison. It's just a long way from home.....

Thanks to St. Patrick, I got out this morning. Mrs. D accompanied me for hill repeats. Plan was 10 mins easy, 8x (20s hill sprint + recovery back down), 15 mins steady and 5 mins easy. Running from home instead of the gym, the easy run was just under 13mins, the sprint paces were 3:04, 3:27, 3:34, 3:37, 3:57, 3:46, 3:31 & 3:45/km. Then 15 mins in zone 3 (avg 5:22/km), 5 mins in zone 2 (5:47/km) and 1.1km in 6 mins.

Then to the gym for some weights - 39 mins to be precise. I'm getting to be almost able to manage the full weights and reps now so I've booked an assessment to get a new programme and see if I'm making any progress. It's not till Easter weekend though so I'll stick with the current one till then.

Steroo wrote: »
    Lough cutra ... Do it
    joey100 wrote: »
    Use the code ctspaddy50 for 50% of their race today, seen it on club webpage, no reason not to now!

I'm in....:eek::cool:

Same distance as last time to see if there's any progress. I was 39/168 then in just under 1:29. Must have had a tea break in T1 so will have to practise getting out of the wetsuit in quick order.

And the sea is 8°C at the moment. Oh holy God.:eek::eek::eek::eek::(:(:(

Still wondering at my madness - it's not even like the entry cost had anything to do with me not entering before now. :mad: Anyway it's happening now and Master D is doing his race again too.

Swim today
    Warmup 150m
    4x400m Fc
    100m bs
    100m fc with paddles and pb
    50m bs
    2000m total

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Peer pressure :D

Saturday
    Plan was for a 45 min easy run, which I was going to do in the evening after the rugby. But the day didn't go quite to plan - Master D was booked in for his first flying lesson at 3:30 but when we got there his name wasn't on the list. But he got out, a bit later than expected, and loved it. They went out over Hook Head, Waterford city and Tramore and he had control for a lot of the time. He has to wait another year before he can start building hours towards his ppl. It's expensive but there's method in my madness: I've now got him into bikes and flying so he's never going to be able to afford drugs.

Sunday
    Started with the run - 45 mins in the spikes around a football pitch. Was meant to be easy so I targeted hr zone 2. Struggled to keep the pace down but it was good to have a slow target when all I wanted to do was burst it out.

Went to play basketball with Mrs., Master and Miss D. Played 2v2 for about 40 mins and covered about 2.5kms in that time (per Garmin so probably wildly inaccurate) but it was great fun.

Next was a cycle with Mrs. & Master D. Plan called for 70 mins easy - including a bit tacked on at the end, it came to 28.9km.

Finally there was some strength work; I wasn't going to go to the gym for just this so I dug out the kettlebells and dumbbells we got from Aldi last year and I lashed into it. I don't know how I spend so much time in the gym - maybe it's waiting for space - but I seemed to get through it all very quickly. Even had to add 3x sets of 2 more exercises to make up the time.

Weekly totals:
    Swim: 106%
    Bike: 105%
    Run: 122%
    Strength: 102%

Nice work. Talk about diversification .... running, biking, gym work and now flying!!!!! You'll be taking up martial arts next ;)

Nice work. Talk about diversification .... running, biking, gym work and now flying!!!!! You'll be taking up martial arts next ;)

Ah I'll never be a pilot....I don't think. I'll have my work cut out if Master D continues with it - min 45 hours at €140/hr for the plane + €50/hr for the instructor. :eek:

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Ah I'll never be a pilot....I don't think. I'll have my work cut out if Master D continues with it - min 45 hours at €140/hr for the plane + €50/hr for the instructor. :eek:

Kids ... who'd have em??? Expensive little feckers ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Speaking of kids...what do you do with Miss D when you and Mrs. and Master are out on your bikes? :confused: I always worry about her...and have crazy Home Alone thoughts. ;)

Kids ... who'd have em??? Expensive little feckers ;)

Indeed. On the other hand it wouldn't be unusual for a family with 3 or 4 kids to spend €10k on a fortnight in Spain during the summer. So a ppl seems good value in comparison.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Speaking of kids...what do you do with Miss D when you and Mrs. and Master are out on your bikes? :confused: I always worry about her...and have crazy Home Alone thoughts. ;)

Haha - no need to worry Dory - the three of us only go out when she's either off with her friends or (as today) when Master D the elder (nearly 21) is home.

Indeed. On the other hand it wouldn't be unusual for a family with 3 or 4 kids to spend €10k on a fortnight in Spain during the summer. So a ppl seems good value in comparison.

Ah ya or you could own racehorses :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Nice one C, all targets overshot and signed up to a race :) I'd call that a super week :)

Eh, ever thought of entering Irelands Fittest Family?

Neady83 wrote: »
    Nice one C, all targets overshot and signed up to a race :) I'd call that a super week :)

Eh, ever thought of entering Irelands Fittest Family?

Haha...we sometimes say that to wind up Miss D. In reality she's too young anyway. And none of us want to be on TV!

Club swim tonight. We're concentrating on pacing now and I'm slowly improving, although I have nothing near enough control over mine yet. We also practised a technique for swimming - and racing - around buoys. I covered 1650m in total, which was a decent enough start to the week (in my book).

Wednesday
    Run - hill repeats. Similar session to those before: 10 mins easy, 10x (20s hill sprint, jog back), 15 mins steady, 5 mins easy.

Hill sprint paces were: 3:54, 3:34, 3:15, 3:23, 3:30, 3:46, 3:44, 3:49, 3:38 & 3:52 - a bit variable but the effort was there with avg interval hrs (up,down) of 108, 132, 137, 143, 141, 152, 149, 156, 149, 147, 144, 150, 144, 148, 142, 147, 141, 149 & 146. Just over 8km in total.

Back to gym for weights - still not managing the Wednesday set very comfortably - it occurred to me it might be connected with fatigue after the Tuesday night swim. Anyway...37 mins of lifting and pushing. Was nearly 9pm then so home to savage the dinner before doing Dad Taxi duty.

Thursday
    Nada - one of my non-sporting pursuits kept me busy in the evening.

Friday - bike
    Started with last night's bike session on the spin bike. Of course I again misread the plan when I was programming the watch and, instead of 60s intervals with 60s rest, I chose the 30/30 from next week. :mad:

Anyway, I went about doing 10 min wu, 15x(30s low resistance, high cadence <75% hr & 30s relax), 5 min cd. As I got through it I realised this would only make 30 mins and I needed at least 40, so I decided to throw in some extras. These took the form of 5x2x1 min single leg (first time doing them but I figured if the best are doing them I'd give it a shot). Then 5 mins cd. Total simulated distance was 25.4km in 45 mins.

Swim:
    Fairly straightforward: 5x400m fc. 400m is the distance of my swim in Lough Cutra so I'm building confidence at that distance. Took 2 mins rest in between. First two were grand: 9:13 & 9:08. On the third set I started to feel the sole of my right foot twinging/cramping (was woken up at 5am this morning by my right calf cramping :() so I started easing off on the push-offs from the wall. Sets 3 & 4 were 9:28 & 9:45. Was keeping things going despite twinges in my left foot too until the last length of the 5th & final set and the right foot cramped totally. BS kicked for a few strokes before finishing it off with fc. 9:58. 2000m total in 47:31 swimming time, 55:44 total.

Need to start adapting to a nose clip - ending up with a shnottery head on me after every swim, especially when I'm tired (i.e. most of the time).

Good work. Any sneaky races this weekend?

Good work. Any sneaky races this weekend?

Thanks K. No I'm not racing this weekend - club has the annual 10k on Monday morning at 11 but I'll probably be helping / marshalling. Pity- it's a real pb course.

• Advertisement

Bit of a swapsies on the training plan this weekend; Mrs D was in Dublin running marathon no 17 (win no 5 on a tough day) so I was father and mother from Fri - Sun (God help them!). So I took advantage of being able to cycle on Bank Holiday Monday and swapped my rest day to Saturday to let me cover the Dad's Taxi and domestic stuff. The exception was my gym assessment where the highlights were:
    - Down 2.5kg
    - Upper arms up 2cm in circumference
    - Tummy circumference down 2cm
    - 30s press ups up from 13 to 22
    - 30s sit ups up from 14 to 21
    - Plank to failure increased from 64 - 144s
    Something's working!

Sunday
    Plan called for 50mins easy off road. Decided to bring Lexi on a trail run in the local woods - though I've never successfully gotten her to run for very long before. Took off at a gentle enough pace, though she was eating road. We kept going far longer and faster than I expected and, God love her, it was only after about 6k that she started flagging. A drink from the stream revived her a bit but she was struggling till the end. To make it easier, we got a thunderous shower of hailstones near the end so we were like drowned rats by the time we got back to the car. 8.3k in 49.5 mins - not quite as far as I wanted to go but far enough to be satisfied.

Got home and washed Lexi before spending a half hour doing weights.

% of plan for the week:
    Swim: 104%
    Bike: 46% (but will catch today's cycle tomorrow)
    Run: 97%
    Gym/strength: 115%

Go you with the gym work :D and Mrs D as well of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

:D As I read your post I thought Lexi was your daughter...and briefly thought, "wow, they must have really clean stream water!"....but then after a few seconds I figured it out. :o Too funny!!! :)

Deferred cycle day - tri club were having their (our?) annual Easter Monday 10k in Rosslare and I added my name to the list to help. Decided, seeing the weather was good, to cycle to & from - Mrs. D was driving down to run it but she was looking to get away straight afterwards, as Master D was racing open T&F today (3rd in 100m & 700m + 1st team in relay).

Was late leaving but made good time - I was surprised to do the 48km in 1:42. Did my stint of marshalling and headed home afterwards without going back to race HQ for tea & grub - sure I'd be home in less than 2 hours, just in time for lunch. :rolleyes:

Within 10km I knew the return leg would be tougher - headwind the whole way (it explained the 28.4km/hr average speed on the way down). Total sufferfest. Ended up stopping in a petrol station for a sandwich and a Kelloggs sugary bar to get me home. In the end it took me 2:11 to get home and I savaged all round me when I got in. It's a long time since I spent so long on the bike in one day and it felt it.

Total: just under 95km in 3:53 and 2000-odd calories.

Deferred cycle day - tri club were having their (our?) annual Easter Monday 10k in Rosslare and I added my name to the list to help. Decided, seeing the weather was good, to cycle to & from - Mrs. D was driving down to run it but she was looking to get away straight afterwards, as Master D was racing open T&F today (3rd in 100m & 700m + 1st team in relay).

Was late leaving but made good time - I was surprised to do the 48km in 1:42. Did my stint of marshalling and headed home afterwards without going back to race HQ for tea & grub - sure I'd be home in less than 2 hours, just in time for lunch. :rolleyes:

Within 10km I knew the return leg would be tougher - headwind the whole way (it explained the 28.4km/hr average speed on the way down). Total sufferfest. Ended up stopping in a petrol station for a sandwich and a Kelloggs sugary bar to get me home. In the end it took me 2:11 to get home and I savaged all round me when I got in. It's a long time since I spent so long on the bike in one day and it felt it.

Total: just under 95km in 3:53 and 2000-odd calories.

Nice brick C :) I was cursing the headwind when I was heading to the race last weekend but dam glad to have it on my back on the way home so I can imagine how you felt. Well done :)

Thanks S - not quite a brick though, unless you count standing blocking traffic as a run, but two nice spins nevertheless. Couldn't imagine doing that cycle after having run a half marathon. That'd take a real tough cookie.:eek:

Thanks S - not quite a brick though, unless you count standing blocking traffic as a run, but two nice spins nevertheless. Couldn't imagine doing that cycle after having run a half marathon. That'd take a real tough cookie.:eek:

Ha ha thanks C .... it was a 10mile and I was doing nowhere that speed on the bike :)

Swim. Planned to do 1750-2000m but only did 1000m - exhausted, headache, generally feeling like a $hit on a slate all day.

It was of little benefit anyway, other than clearing the head a bit - technique was all over the place. Thankfully Coach wasn't around because she'd surely have been tempted to hold my head underwater until I stopped struggling, for wasting the last 21 weeks on a display like that.

Tried the nose clip too. Got to about 44m before nearly drowning, not that I even exhale through my nose all the time. Just wasn't in the mind frame to make it work. Maybe next time.

Edit: just to make a self-pitying jackass out of me, my watch tells me I averaged 2:16/100 today vs. 2:20/100 the last day when I felt I was swimming well. :mad:

Sure you can hardly read anything into that swim when you're not feeling well!!!

Rest up and stop looking for sympathy :p

Next you'll be claiming its that life threatening disease called man flu :p

• Advertisement

Indeed.

Wednesday:
    Run - 10 min wu, 15x(20s@5k pace, 40s rec), 5min cd. Started at the gym in road runners and brought spikes with me. 15x were around a not-very-level football pitch so i got a good share of uphill, downhill, bends and straights when i was going quickly. Didn't want to put too much in tonight but paces were 3:24, 5:10, 3:23, 4:57, 3:47, 5:11, 3:17, 5:28, 3:17, 5:37, 3:30, 5:38, 3:06, 5:23, 3:25, 5:36, 3:43, 5:10, 3:26, 5:31, 3:32, 5:27, 3:34, 5:31, 3:28, 5:43, 3:19, 5:29, 3:51 & 5:26. Total was 5.76 km in 30 mins. Tacked on the 1.44km back to the gym after that.

Strength: 35mins

Advertisement