Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 to 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Wednesday
    Was supposed to be bike night but there was a club OW swim again so I jumped at the chance. Same as Monday night; 500m in either direction, when travelled in a straight line. Upstream measured as 737m and the total came to 1.4km, so a little less inefficient on the way back.

My sighting is evidently quite poor but I've been making an effort to get looking up; it's just taking time to get used to it. I'm still doing the "swim a short distance fast, run out of steam" thing that I do in the pool but as I'm relaxing a bit it's getting a bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Try "swim a short distance a little less fast, run out of steam a little later". Distance swimming is a trade-off between speed and endurance, and it takes some experimenting to discover what works best for you.

Unasked for advice, and it sounds like you're doing the right things anyway by relaxing!

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Try "swim a short distance a little less fast, run out of steam a little later". Distance swimming is a trade-off between speed and endurance, and it takes some experimenting to discover what works best for you.

Unasked for advice, and it sounds like you're doing the right things anyway by relaxing!

Gee Kurt - I never thought of that!:eek::D:p

Yeah - I'm getting there. Considering I would normally grab a few seconds rest at the end of every 200m in a pool, I'm happy enough with progress so far. The 6 weeks since Lough Cutra have felt very beneficial - I'll soon find out if that's true though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

On the other hand it's also really easy to settle into a pace in OW that is just too slow, or at least slower than your critical swim speed in the pool. If you find yourself exiting the swim feeling too comfortable you know you've thrown away minutes!

Hard one to get right I think, and of course, can change with virtually every race depending on conditions, crowd etc.

Better that than being b*llixed getting on the bike I guess :)

The long term goal is obviously to be able to swim fast and still not be bo!!ixed getting on the bike but one step at a time.

• Advertisement

Thursday
    Meant to be tempo run day but I'd something else on so no training.

Friday
    Meant to be swim day but I'd already been in twice so I'd planned to catch up my missed bike and/or tempo run. But I'll be away most of the weekend so my long run was going to be difficult to fit in. So I decided to do it today and hopefully my tempo early on Sunday morning.

Plan was not unlike last week; 27.5km, getting faster, average 4:55/km. Split it into 5.5km laps which I planned to do at 5:05,5:00,4:55,4:50 and 4:45/km.

Actuals were 5:03,4:59,4:51,4:51 & 4:50, so the average was right on 4:55 but the progression wasn't quite there. Still 2:15 for 27.5km is ok, even if it was aided by a Loop the Loop at halfway and a bottle of Little Dragon near the end (when I'd run out of water).

Saturday
    Another deviation from plan. Started off with a family Parkrun in Johnstown - I ran with Miss D and managed to keep her running the whole way (she's well able but has very low motivation to run). She started getting more lively on the last lap and we ended up with a sprint finish....which she won. Master D got a 5k pb.

Down to Rosslare then for a swim with Master D. We've Loughrea next week and his ow swimming is still a weakness. He did really well though. Once he got his face down he just glided along. His shoulders did tire but he still managed to swim, not wetsuit-fit, but he did 1400m (according to my Garmin) and was delighted with it. That's exactly the confidence boost I wanted him to get before next week. He tried attributing it to the beach but I reminded him that it was him doing the swimming.

Sunday
    Tempo run. Left heel was a bit sore starting out but was ok once I warmed up. Probably need to be stretching my calves more.

1.5km wu brought me most of the way from the in-laws' house to the Grand Canal and then it was 4km each way at a planned pace of 4:21/km. The first 4 had an actual average of 4:17/km and the return was 4:19/km, probably both because I was tiring and because traffic was starting to build so I'd to stop at more junctions. It was getting annoying at one stage, stopping every couple of hundred metres; it was getting more like interval training than tempo running. Hr was avg 152 for the first 4 and 162 for last 4. Ended up at 11km in 51mins, avg 4:37/km, 151bpm.

Monday
    Plan said run. Head said swim is more important this week. Back to Rosslare for my 4th sea swim in a week. Same course as before, but against an incoming tide, and in the company of much better swimmers. I made the mistake of trying to not get left behind and promptly burnt all of my matches. As I caught breath I started to realise I was swimming in 99% jellyfish* and had to work hard to remember the advice the others had given me at the start; it's no worse than a nettle sting. In fact I think I may have been stung on the ankle but it was the barest tingling sensation.

To make a long story even more long & boring, my watch tells me I did 1.54km (remember it's supposed to be 500m each way in a straight line), which is good enough for me.

Bit of a dilemma for the rest of the week. Want to give blood tomorrow night, so no training for the evening, and sea swim on Wednesday evening. Want to get out on the bike once and spin the wheels, as much to make sure everything is ok as anything else. Don't want to do my long run as late as Friday, as it might hangover to Sunday. And I've a pace session and a tempo session to do by Friday evening. Answers on a postcard.

* Possibly a slight exaggeration

Tuesday
    Decided to do my interval session after work, before blood donation. Plan was 10-20min wu, 5x (1000m@3:36, 400RI), 10min cd.

Actual was 2.25km wu, 5x intervals @3:36,3:35,3:35,3:34,3:34 (RIs were 2:47,2:37,3:29,4:17,3:07), 1.74km cd.

Up for the donation and took two samples to pass the 13.5 iron test. I'm down a bit since last time so I'd better keep an eye on it.

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    1.3km sea swim with club and Master D came along. No jellyfish tonight. Went reasonably well for us both.

Thursday
    Tempo run. Plan was 1.5k easy wu, 6.5k@4:12/k, 1.5k easy CD. Came out of work at 8pm to do this. Knew from the start it was going to be hard and promptly got a stitch just over 2k into the tempo section. Tried to tough it out but ended up stopping for a minute and letting it pass. Resumed feeling fresh then turned a corner into a long bloody dragging hill. Ground it out till I got over the top but it was taking a lot out of me - close to race pace for 6.5k, just 3 days before a race, didn't seem like a genius idea. So I did 3/4 of the tempo distance and jogged the rest of the way. Total 9.5k in 44mins.

Friday
    Nothing. In theory it was a taper day. In practise it was an 18-hour work day.

Saturday
    Travelling - we hit the road to Galway just after lunch and got caught in every class of traffic delay I could imagine incl. biker rally, double-parked bus, farm traffic, scarecrow festival, etc. Got to Galway, got registered for Sunday and got out to a friend's house (he was hosting us again).

Sunday
    Up early, porridge made, car packed and in to park. No problems. Got Master D down to get his stuff into transition. He'd a good wait until his wave went off but it came around quickly enough. Mrs D was fretting but he was reasonably calm, despite not having had good experiences in his last two tri swims.

They went off promptly and he was getting the face down straight away. He did tire quickly enough and took some breaks but still finished in a respectable time and fashion. Hopefully his confidence will benefit from that performance. His T1 took a while but he was soon out on the bike. He did really well - it wasn't nearly the best time but he hasn't ever done any specific cycle training so I was pleased for him. A good T2 and he was out on the run looking strong. This was always going to be his strongest segment and he was back in with 6th fastest run. So a good performance by him overall and hopefully a confidence boost.

My turn came around quickly enough. By the time I was ready to eat, I couldn't stomach it. Don't know why; I wasn't consciously nervous. Stuffed something down but it wasn't a pleasure. Got suited up and ready and felt ok. Was feeling disappointed not to have a club tri suit on - I was the only one from the club and thought it'd be nice to have the colours showing. Next time maybe. Noticed the wind getting up and the lake getting choppier. Recognised Kurt (from a picture he posted on a "know your Boardsie"-type thread from a couple of years ago) and went to say hello. I always find it a wierd experience being addressed by your Boards name by a total stranger but I'd hate to deny him the experience. :D Had a quick chat anyway and then went over to the briefing. Had a quick dip in the water while I was waiting and was happy enough.

Briefing over, the first wave were quickly off (behind the paratriathletes). Then it was soon our turn. Got in and swam over to the right-hand side and over to the wall. We got going and it was like my ankles were anchored - everyone just started to disappear. I got the face down and was going ok but the choppiness was getting to me. Then the clarity + depth of the water started to get to me. Then I started feeling that my ankle chip was coming loose and that started to get to me. Got a couple of badly-timed splashes and that started to get to me. Gathered myself and kept going. Rounded the first buoy and the choppiness was going with me so I settled a bit. Rounded the second buoy and the choppiness was across us again but there was a guy swimming beside me that I decided wasn't going to go past me. So I kept going - not smoothly but not as badly as on the way out. Hauled myself out of the water and completely pooped; physically & emotionally exhausted. Toddled past the family and got the wetsuit open as I got into transition but I was really too knackered to even make a half-hearted effort to take it off. It took me the guts of 2 mins to do that much. Got the bike stuff on ok and then got out.

Bike went reasonably well - I was executing on my plan to focus on cadence rather than power. Unfortunately I made an ass of my watch, so I hit the lap button twice coming out of T1, so I'd no data (except for my overall time) for the cycle. I wasn't passing many people but then again I was so far behind most people out of T1 that it was hardly a surprise. But there were several women (who started 10 mins behind me) passing throughout. Some great performances there. Got back to transition, made an ass of my dismount and racked the bike. T2 went well.

Out on the run - ok at the start but it quickly went downhill. Or uphill. Within about 500m I'd a savage stitch in my right side. It just persisted & persisted. Tried walking a couple of times but it kept coming back. Met Kurt at this stage - he was about 2km ahead of me (and he says he can't run). Got to the turn, took a drink and jogged slowly around it. Identified a target and tried to keep up. When I got to about 3km the stitch started to subside. Or I started to toughen up. Girl in front of me was suffering and I started shouting encouragement to her - "don't let me pass you". She seemed to appreciate the news that we'd only 1km left but I didn't see her till the end. Kept going at an unspectacular pace but eventually got over the line to finish my first OW sprint tri just inside the middle third of the field.

TBH I'm very disappointed & deflated overall.
    The good points:
    - my swim time was within seconds of my Lough Cutra swim time, despite being 750m instead of 400m and the conditions not being quite as good.
    - I reacted to adversity much better that before and when I was swimming I was doing ok. So that's an improvement.
    - My T2 was good.

The bad points:
    - my swim was still at least 3 mins slower than it needed to be.
    - my T1 was 2 mins too slow
    - my cycle was lethargic
    - my run was pedestrian

I'm obviously just not in condition, physically or mentally, to do better. As it turned out, I was glad I wasn't wearing club colours. I'd rather make a decent job of it before I get recognised as representing them.

I've my next sprint tri in 3 weeks but I'll be away for 10 days in between now and then and there'll be no training done. I'd planned to do my last week's long run today (Monday) but I was absolutely wrecked so figured it'd be counter-productive. I'll hopefully run tomorrow night and Thursday, with a swim on Wednesday. I'll be travelling from Friday to late on Tuesday fortnight. So I'm not sure what I'm going to change in before race day. But I guess that's for another day.

And then I found this video on Facebook....and it cheered me up no end...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Well done Dilbert, I've found from my races that the lake swims I've done have nearly been the toughest, if the wind picks up it can make them pretty choppy. Well done for sticking it out and getting through. And the fact that your 750m is the same time as a fairly recent 400m swim is great going, don't get hung up on where you want it to be. Have a look at others around you who's name you might recognise and see how their swim times compared to different races. Might give you a better idea of how the swim conditions where.

Just on the lethargic feeling, what works for me is to keep the body ticking over coming up to the race. I don't the day before it off, as much as possible. I'll do a short run and a short bike just to keep the body ticking over. I've found this helps, before this I would take a few days off before a race but I found the body was asleep nearly during the race and was taking a while to get going. That and a good warm up before the race have really helped me get over this and be ready to go when the race starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Nice one C :) you're very hard on yourself as usual - you've been training consistently and you're turning up and completing these races, that takes hard work and ba**s. Give yourself more credit for the good points. It sounds like all your work in the pool is really paying off too - when I fall out of the kayak with a wet suit and PFD on ..... everything gets to me :D can't even begin to imagine what it feels like without a PFD ;)

Keep up the good work and enjoy your racing :)

Thanks for the comments everyone. I appreciate your advice and insights. I'm just wary of putting lipstick on a pig and thinking it's anything but a pig.

I'm not ignoring the little bit of progress though. In fact it was only this evening when I was ow swimming (1km ish) that I realised I'm almost not afraid of ow swimming any more. It's just straight in and get going. Sighting still needs practise and I still need to build the shoulders up to constant swimming with no wall to push off. But it's in my head that the big progress is being made.

My other big opportunity for improvement is in rest/sleep. Friday last was an 18-hour work day, followed by 5 hours sleep and 4 hours driving. No wonder my legs were dead on Sunday.

Anyway, last ow swim before the hols. Went ok - Master D came with me but he was knackered. Turns out he'd been to the gym, walked the dog and mowed the lawn before he met me so no wonder.

Will hopefully get a run in tomorrow evening. And that'll probably be it till after the hols.

OK so let's clear the tumbleweed out a bit. I've been on holidays and there was precious little of anything that resembles training; Miss D & I went interrailing, starting in Hamburg and passing through Berlin, Krakow, Vienna, Salzburg & flying home from Munich. Spent 11 days doing that, 13 if you include travelling to Dublin the night before going out and coming home the day after we flew in. Was a great holiday - I should have done it 20 years ago but it was brilliant to share the experience with Miss D. The carrying of backpacks was strenuous and we did a load of walking too, so it wasn't totally sedentary.

And on the last day we went to an outdoor swimming pool complex in Salzburg and did about 700-800m of lane swimming in various pools. We started in a 25m pool which, apart from us, was otherwise occupied only by senior citizens. We got so many funny looks, and people swimming across us randomly, that I started to wonder if we had accidentally wandered into a senior-citizen-only area (we hadn't - it was probably the fact that I was the only one wearing a swimming hat that was attracting the looks but it stops my goggle strap sliding up & down the back of my head).

We then went to the water slide and over to the 50m pool. There were three diving boards at one end of the 50m and a reasonable number of people using them. Got in at the opposite end (2m deep) and started swimming lengths. Both got totally freaked out when it (completely obviously) got suddenly deeper (4.5m) before the diving boards. I was mostly ok but Miss D was rattled, so she got out. I only did a handful of lengths then we went back to the shorter pool - the average age of the occupants had dropped by about 65 years by the time we got there.

We had to leave before we were really ready - train to catch. Before we did, I took a couple of snaps with the cameraphone:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cteca64cc/29019027156
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cteca64cc/28434164773

Have to go back there again.

Anyway - back to reality. Tri the Hook at the weekend. Got out on the bike with Master D this morning - 62km in 2 1/2 hours. Nice to spin out the legs but I need to go foam rolling & stretching - they're feeling quite dead after all the walking. Be grand though.:)

Just reading a book about prevention of chafing. Borrowed it from the library. It was in the non-friction section.

Friday: my first run in a fortnight or more. 5.5k in 27 mins with Mrs D. Felt like an old man at the start but once I warmed up it got less bad. If I could run at that pace tomorrow I'd almost be satisfied.

Btw, there's a weather warning for Wexford until tomorrow evening. Baginbun is pretty sheltered but it'll be interesting to see how the swim is managed if the winds live up to the forecasts.

• Advertisement

Bad start to a race day: woken first by the wind and then a short while later by a calf cramp. Working on it now but could be out before I start. :(

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Bad start to a race day: woken first by the wind and then a short while later by a calf cramp. Working on it now but could be out before I start. :(

OK so that was almost the high point of the day. :rolleyes: Made my way down to Fethard on Sea, registered no problem, met a few clubmates (good showing for the most local race) and got down to the bike drop. Was after 8:30 when I got there but I was one of the first to arrive at bike drop. Almost by luck, I found my numbered spot (most of the stickers had blown away overnight) and started to get myself sorted. This initially didn't include pulling on a wetsuit - I'd been down to the beach and seen the waves crashing on the shore; now that I'm outside Kurt's reach I can admit that I was hoping a little for a shortened / cancelled swim.

Although the bay was relatively calm, there was a lot more swell than I'd ever been out in. But apparently it was to be a stronger swimmer's day - it was announced that it was going ahead. In full. I'd anticipated swimming some distance and had asked for the "special" hat for nervous / weaker swimmers, so the kayakers could keep a special eye on me - so when most people in the wave had red hats, I'd mine covered with a white one.

Onto the beach and, when our 2nd wave time came, we were counted into the swim start area. Stayed at the back and chatted to another weaker swimmer (with a yellow hat - they'd run out of white) and very soon we were off. Straight in there and it was going great for the first probably 15m. Then two guys simultaneously swam over me left & right, just as a wave was hitting me, and that threw me into a wobbler. Started to BS to settle myself but couldn't settle. Decided I'd swim to the first turn (they never put out the buoys so we'd to swim around a yellow kayak in between the red kayaks) and then break into FC. Rounded the first turn and started to FC - but boy was it difficult. The wind was blowing the water into our faces and I was feeling the pressure. I was trying to get into a rhythm but every time I lifted my right hand a wave would hit it and I'd short stroke. Possibly there's a technique for this; maybe it's just a matter of chilling the hell out. I managed neither and was starting to panic. To top it off my goggles were fogging and there were ever fewer people near me. Tried to settle myself by using BS. Couldn't see the kayak marking the second turn so I just started following the feet nearest to me. Just when I thought it couldn't get much worse, my right calf cramped really badly, to the point where I had to pull it up behind me to relieve it. As instructed beforehand, I rolled onto my back and put my fist in the air - I just wanted a kayak to hang onto while I sorted myself. Nobody came. After about 10s, I turned over and swam a few strokes but my right calf was totally locked up. Rolled over again, fist in air, and again nobody came. Back on my front and suddenly got sight of the 2nd kayak to my left so went over around it. Decided I was going to just go for it and started to FC my way in towards the shore. Still couldn't see much so was aiming for the dark blob on the shore which I was guessing was the crowd. Took a few stop starts but eventually got there, almost washed ashore. Shout of encouragement from a spectating clubmate was a help but I was knackered. The run to T1 is up a short beach, up a steep ramp and along the road at the top. Managed to totter up the ramp but slowed to a walk at the top. Back to a jog and into T1. A glacial 23:52.:(

Thought I'd made a half decent effort at T1 but it turned out to be 3:04 - it was better than Loughrea a few weeks ago but that's about the best I can say for it.

Out on the bike. Hadn't practised mounting onto the bike with my new tri shoes attached so just did it the old-fashioned way: on my feet first, then clip in. Bike was uneventful and, despite having had two cramped calves, I actually got better the longer I went - I started passing some of the stronger swimmers in the last 5-10k. Was actually feeling good towards the end - I was trying to mind the calves for the run, so was keeping the cadence higher than normal; maybe this was helping. Cycle time was 49:13 for just under 23km.

As with the mount, I'd not practised the dismount with leaving the shoes attached so I just clipped out and ran with them on. Still got an almost-good T2 of 1:15.

Out for the run (with bike gloves still on!) and the first 1km was tough - very windy and gently uphill. Got some relief then with some downhill and I was feeling much better than at the same stage in Loughrea. Put a target on one particular girl's back - didn't catch her till near the end but trying to do so dragged me past a few others. Felt pretty strong when I was finishing, even though I was hanging on for the end.

Went for a massage afterwards and both calves were like rocks. The sole of my two feet started twitching pretty much straight away so Physio person had a go at them first; plantar fascia like piano wire apparently.:o He reckons I've misaligned tendons and that I need orthotics; I reckon a bit of discipline with stretching and yoga could go a long way. In any case I hobbled away feeling worse than I was when I started. And I still can't walk straight - left calf is ok but sole of foot is tender; right calf is nearly rigid. I'll give it another day or two and then go for physioterrorism.

Round up: I've not nearly made the progress I wanted this year. At the start of the year I ball-parked doing 3 sprint triathlons and finishing one each in top 50%, 40% & 25%. I've no idea if that was ever going to be realistic but it most certainly didn't happen. In the end I did 1 super sprint and 2 sprints. I was 44/148 in the super sprint (top 40%) but I was 221/340 and 191/298 in the two sprints (both top 65% - considering they were 3 weeks apart and virtually no training done in between, they each validate each other as fair reflection of where I am).

I've an ass load of swimming work to do. Much of that is in my head and experience dealing with rougher & deeper water. But also there is much to improve in terms of shoulder strength & endurance. And efficiency. The fact that I finished further up in the event with the shortest swim is evidence enough (though the other two were NS and probably had a better overall standard of competitor).

I want to be doing a cycle like that in closer to 40 mins. It should be do-able - my first (pool) tri I completed the 20k in 38 mins - but I need to be putting in the work.

The run is mostly a symptom of burning the matches in the other two legs, particularly the swim. But more fitness will sort that out.

There's an old saying that if you don't reach your target, you change your plans, not your target. So I'll take the same approach for next year. I'd had notions of going to Killary in two weeks for the inaugural Connemara tri, and I even idly contemplated trying Olympic, but the website describes the clear, deep waters of Killary fjord and I know it'd just freak me out at the moment. And I know I'm just not fit enough. I need to build to it.

And build I will, once I get my calves sorted and get back on plan. That's the great thing about doing this for recreation - tomorrow's always the start of a new day, a new week and a new beginning. Once you decide it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Wow, thats swim, not easy. Well done for getting through it and still wanting more :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Wow, thats swim, not easy. Well done for getting through it and still wanting more :)

I don't really want more. But I don't like being bested. I don't like thinking there's something I can't do reasonably well if I put my mind to it. So I will do it. Oh yes, I will do it....*

* note there's no timescale here and if it entails my ashes being scattered on the waves then so be it...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

You managed to get through the swim despite being swam over, rough conditions, fogging goggles, calf cramp, tiny markers, inattentive safety kayaks... and still went on to complete the race. That swim will be the roughest you'll ever do, and you should take a lot of confidence from coping with it so well. You could have panicked out there with cramp, looking for assistance that wasn't coming... but instead you got around under your own abilities. That confidence will play a big part in next years races- genuinely well done on toughing it out!

Thanks Kurt. It's another way of looking at it I guess. And you know yourself: a race is a race is a race ;)

Sunday - Tuesday: struggling to walk, such was the condition of my right calf. Has been getting progressively better though, to the point where I'm now feeling like it's normal. Need a yoga routine sooner rather than later though.

Wednesday: Club sea swim; we normally go to Rosslare but the red flags were up to welcome the first Lion's Mane jellyfish to the beach. So off to Curracloe with us instead. Went 500m in each direction (or 850m if you believe my watch) - was warm enough and the little bit of chop was good practise. Nice. We'll be out of the sea soon enough though I guess.

Thursday:
    I had something else on from 6-9 so didn't do any training.

Friday:
    Didn't get out before dinner so had to wait till it settled a bit. Plan was 1.5k wu, 8k@4:12/km, 1.5k cd. Because we live at the top of a hill, the wu is almost all downhill. In this case the start of the tempo was too. I briefly felt guilty about that but soon started wondering "if I'm struggling to hit 4:12 going downhill how the √Π÷× will I do it on flat or uphill?". Stuck with it though and, including crossing roads, hit 4:14/km for the first 4km. Turned and came back across town. Had the choice between going uphill towards home or finishing out on the track. Chose the latter, partly because there's water there and I was hanging. Finished it out with average of 4:12/km. The 1.5km cd was very lethargic (6:51/km or something) and I'd another couple of kms then, which I did at 5:46/km.

Got home and called for the yoga mat that's been in the corner, unused, for about 2 years. Got an 8-step yoga/stretching routine from Runners World (I think) and gave it a go. I'm woefully inflexible but hopefully it'll help. It'll be better than what I've been doing till now anyway - nothing - so I just need to stick at it. Finished off with some Marathon Stick love for my shins and hams.

Edit: just realised that was last week's tempo session. This week was supposed to be 9.5@4:21/km. Duhhhh. I've missed a stack of runs this month - only did 4 - so I'll take that one even still.

Saturday: Legs are a wee bit stiff from yesterday but not too bad considering. Just an easy 20k cycle with Master D to spin them out. We threw in a couple of nice sprints - he got the top speed, the scrawny fecker. We're going camping later so I'm sure that'll set me up nicely for a long run tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Sunday:
    Long run day, a.k.a. the day all my missed-session-chickens came home to roost. Plan was 21k @4:37/km. Went out after lunch, cos I couldn't go in the evening. It was warm and I wanted a shaded route. Unfortunately it came to a choice between shady and flat - I went with shady and a route I reckoned would hit the distance.

Going out I was tired and I knew pretty quickly I wasn't going to be the equal to the task. I was stopping to hit the water bottles before 4k were past. All was grand when I was going downhill but once I hit the incline the wheels started coming off. I got ever slower and the urge to give up was constant. Got to 8k and realised I'd chosen to go the wrong direction - short downhills and long uphills, rather than vice versa. Too late now. Kept going.

Coming up to 11k I drained the last of the water. Considered calling to a friend's house for a refill but didn't trust myself not to wangle a lift home. Stopped at a nearby cemetery to see if there was a tap - couldn't see one but a resting cyclist gave me some Lucozade. From there the slog-fest continued. Except when going downhill I didn't hit target pace. At on stage I caught myself saying out loud "I'm dying here" and turned it around with some PMA. But it didn't get any easier. To ice the cake I got home bang on 19.5km, so I didn't even get the distance right. Average pace was 5:00/km. Too slow and too short. I hadn't the time to go make up distance so it stood..

Hopefully next week will be better in terms of consistency and place adherence.

Advertisement