Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 to 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Your reference about your gel consumption - I'm not sure if you are saying you should have consumed less on race day or if you should have consumed more in training. But, and keep in mind I know virtually nothing about running and also respect that what works for one might not work for another, my first thought when I read that you had only consumed 2 gels by the 20k mark was that you were already behind in nutrition. ??? Typically in a marathon I pop something 15 minutes before the gun, then take my first gel/blok at the 6ish mile mark, then something every 20 minutes to 3 miles after that. But no matter - you pushed on, and honestly a 3:44 finish time is not that bad considering all the stops and cramps and hating-life moments. Congrats to you for getting it done, no matter how it looked! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Thanks Dory. I did consider that alright but genuinely expected that the three gels I was carrying would be adequate. The third one was to come on board at 30k but by then I'd the pain under my ribcage so thought better of it. I'd done most of my training runs on nearly empty and confidently/smugly/foolishly expected that this would stand to me. The sugar cravings in the last 10k would indicate otherwise but I've not taken more than 2 gels in any of my previous marathons (did get as far as attempting a third but spat it out because I'd left it too late), so there was some basis for thinking that way.

All that said, there's a common theme through several recent events where I've run out of energy and maybe that points to me needing to be much more aggressive in getting calories on board early.

Our daily diets and nightly sleep are also two things that play a huge role in how we perform in races, both of which are sometimes overlooked. But 3 gels for 3.5 to 4 hours of running would never even come close to sustaining me. And I'd also need to be consuming some electrolytes along the way too, especially if the conditions were warm and/or sunny. Again, what is good for the goose isn't always good for the gander...but 3 gels??? :eek: (;)) I know some here believe in training with restricted water and nutrition intake on long runs/cycles to condition the body, and I suspect there is merit to that, but I am also a firm believer that you have to train how you race as well. So you have to get out there from time to time and consume those calories like you would in a race so there are no surprises on the day. Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth. ;) Again, well done. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Our daily diets and nightly sleep are also two things that play a huge role in how we perform in races, both of which are sometimes overlooked. But 3 gels for 3.5 to 4 hours of running would never even come close to sustaining me. And I'd also need to be consuming some electrolytes along the way too, especially if the conditions were warm and/or sunny. Again, what is good for the goose isn't always good for the gander...but 3 gels??? :eek: (;)) I know some here believe in training with restricted water and nutrition intake on long runs/cycles to condition the body, and I suspect there is merit to that, but I am also a firm believer that you have to train how you race as well. So you have to get out there from time to time and consume those calories like you would in a race so there are no surprises on the day. Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth. ;) Again, well done. :)

Plenty of food for thought there Dory - thanks. FWIW I was taking the salt capsules as well as the gels, so I don't suspect any problem with electrolytes.

So no recovery running/cycling/swimming yet. Active recovery has so far extended only to foam rolling.

The nutrition question is still bothering me. I see Dory's thread on the ART forum asking the question about what the big guns do and it seems they mostly feed more than I do. But only a few weeks ago I successfully did the Lusk 20m on one gel + a couple of glucose tablets. I'm confused. There's danger I'll have to get scientific about this.

EDIT: just read back over my pb marathon race report (page 7 of 35) and it seems like I had a good breakfast, followed by water, salt capsules and 5 shot blox (each one equivalent to 1/3 gel I think). The big differences were my target and focus.

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    Run with Mrs D. Nice cool, fresh, dry morning. Legs, especially quads, were stiff going out but it turns out it was exactly what I needed. 8.61k in 42:40 - 4:57/km, 142bpm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Have to agree with Steroo for starters! It is a pretty cool looking medal.

I still haven't ventured over half marathon distance myself, and I've only done three half marathon races in total, so I'm intrigued by this fuelling discussion and by your plan. Especially as I was thinking of Rotterdam or Dublin 2017 for my first (and probably "only") marathon, now that I'm finally getting a bit of consistent mileage under my belt.

I never take on much fuel, or even drink much water, in races. I never have anything at all in training. I kind of (naively) assumed that my consumption needs would also be low level enough for a marathon. :o

I'd been meaning to ask you earlier about the pace you do your long runs at. Mainly because I found it pretty intimidating! Is that in the zone advocated by the 3 day plan or are you working from heart rate?

druss wrote: »
    Have to agree with Steroo for starters! It is a pretty cool looking medal.

I like the front of it alright. The back, where the time gets engraved, not so much.
    druss wrote: »
    I still haven't ventured over half marathon distance myself, and I've only done three half marathon races in total, so I'm intrigued by this fuelling discussion and by your plan. Especially as I was thinking of Rotterdam or Dublin 2017 for my first (and probably "only") marathon, now that I'm finally getting a bit of consistent mileage under my belt.

I never take on much fuel, or even drink much water, in races. I never have anything at all in training. I kind of (naively) assumed that my consumption needs would also be low level enough for a marathon. :o

I'd been meaning to ask you earlier about the pace you do your long runs at. Mainly because I found it pretty intimidating! Is that in the zone advocated by the 3 day plan or are you working from heart rate?

I stuck rigidly to the paces on the plan and monitored hr only to verify I wasn't overcooking it. Because it's only 3 runs per week, they are more intense than a 5 or 6 day plan, where you'd typically run 30s/m slower for lsr than on race day. There were a good few tempo runs that are faster than race pace and a few at or around race pace too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Interesting reading the comments about nutrition and gels. I've only done 2 marathons, Dublin for the last 2 years. Last year I took 3 or 4 gels in total, the same as my LSRs and could feel my stomach beginning to turn near the end. Struggled the last 10k or so to cross in 3:54. This year fir my LSRs I didn't use gels just a couple of jellies at most. In the marathon itself I didn't take any gel but had a banana at halfway and lots of water. I tried one jelly but actually spat it out. In the end I felt fine, and finished in 3:33.

I've got a sense that in general it would be better to take something like gels but from my limited experience I got on better without.

Volunteered at parkrun today so decided to cycle out (the short, hilly way) and back (the longer, less hilly way). Ended up doing lead bike so did about 10.5 km looping around. Total of about 35km between the to & fro, with about 1:03 for the 25km there & back. Legs felt fine but not strong. Need to work on that - winter miles, summer smiles, etc.

• Advertisement

Monday:
    Club swim. Missed last week's swim because I was stiff, sore and grumpy about the marathon. It probably would have done me good. Loved this. 1600m in total, with a mix of FC (incl. 8x100m @85%) and 4x50 one-armed fly (I think I got 0 for artistic interpretation). Felt good and a nice group in the lane - one of the girls from last year was back in and she & I are not too dissimilar pace (well she's a much better swimmer but I make up for lack of technique or buoyancy by flogging myself to death trying to keep up).

Won't get to do anything tomorrow night - other plans - but hopefully might get to gym on Wednesday for a crack off the Wattbike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    4x50 one-armed fly (I think I got 0 for artistic interpretation).

I find these are great if you like drinking pool water!

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    4x50 one-armed fly (I think I got 0 for artistic interpretation).

I find these are great if you like drinking pool water!
    Haha - I meant to ask Coach what their benefit is (apart from hydration!), because she always has a reason for giving us drills, but I forgot. Any ideas?

Haha - I meant to ask Coach what their benefit is (apart from hydration!), because she always has a reason for giving us drills, but I forgot. Any ideas?

After swallowing half the pool during 25*50 one arm free last night, I slowed down and seemed to manage better- concentrating on getting the most out of the stroke and breathing, and engaging the kick. It seemed to work better, so I'd imagine the reason has something to do with that- maintaining good position being key.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Single-arm free definitely, but single-arm fly (for a triathlete)?

Maybe because 4 x 50 fly would be super ugly and out of the question??? ;)

We used to do one arm fly a good bit back in the day, and I would imagine it's to keep things interesting, and to work on strength (core strength!!!) and timing. Just a guess, but ask your coach and report back here!!!

Saturday:
    Run with Mrs D. Was out late last night, working till stupid o'clock the night before so, left to my own devices, I'd have done nothing. Was glad I didn't. 11.5km in 57 mins. Lovely morning for it.

Tuesday
    Club swim. Total 1600m of various types. Cramps in both feet and left hamstring at various times. Enjoyed it though.

Not going to have much time for training over the next 6 weeks but some class of order will probably be restored after that.

Saturday
    Mrs D was running another marathon so Master D and I went to Ardgillan parkrun. Tough course - 1st km mostly downhill, 2nd flattish, 3rd uphill, 4th flattish and 5th is all uphill with a steep enough climb to the end. It was our second time doing it but we were both slower than last time, about 40s in my case I think. Never mind - it was good to blow off the cobwebs.

Sunday
    Club trail run. This is a monthly thing but my first time getting out on it. This time it was around the various trails on Forth Mountain in Wexford. Nice group out - a couple peeled off early to shorten it while the rest of us went on to make it about 13.7km in 1:35. Very gentle pace compared to road running but a lovely group to run with and a nice mix of terrain, including some right technical bits - one descent in particular was teetering on the line between exciting and scary. Great start to a day!

• Advertisement

Monday
    Club swim. 10 mins late getting in so missed a chunk of warm-up. Quickly into sets of 100m fc sprint & 50m BC, then sets of fc lh/rh/bh, bs lh/rh/bh, catchup, bs kick. Then some seal. Total 1650m. Had had a frustrating day so was swimming that off but I felt strong and Coach remarked that I'd improved a lot in recent weeks. Good to get that feedback.

Nothing like some fast 100's to beat out the work day.

What is seal?

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    What is seal?
    It's effectively swimming like a corkscrew; 3 strokes fc, roll over, 3 strokes bc, roll over, 3 strokes fc, etc.

Saturday
    SEMRA (South East Mountain Rescue Assoc) Long Way Round - they're a 100% voluntary group and fully self-funded. Had considered going to Portglenone for one of the CCAR races but a 5 hour drive each way just wouldn't fit into my weekend. So instead I joined Kate & Peter from Team Triharder AR, along with a bunch of the South Leinster Trail Runners group. Fierce foggy night for driving and similarly on the mountain but the trail was well marked and marshalled. Came out through the top of the fog near the top, stopped for water, jellies and oranges, and a quick photo opp, before heading back into the foggy descent out, over the top by the cross. Nice run back to base for tea, sambos, cake, Christmas pud and a chat. 15.5km in about 1:45.

Monday:
    Club swim. Late again. Got about 1350m done before we ran out of time. Getting to the point where I'm ahead of my novice lane-mates but not yet up with the middle-lane people. Bit of a tweenie. Let's see what happens. Next week it'll be Tuesday and the novices there are a bit faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

The trail run sounds like fun C. Two weeks in a row too. Next marathon could be on trails maybe?

Well done on the swimming, it must be nice to see the work paying off :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    The trail run sounds like fun C. Two weeks in a row too. Next marathon could be on trails maybe?
    Not you too! :P I reckon you've been talking to K on that one..... :D
    Neady83 wrote: »
    Well done on the swimming, it must be nice to see the work paying off :)
    Thanks! :). It's gratifying alright, because being a lot further back is still fresh in my mind.

Tuesday
    Swapped swim night. Late getting there - AGAIN :mad: - so missed the warm-up. Was soon kinda a little bit sorry I'd gone at all - turned out it was the night to do 6x100m & 2x200m timed sprints until our arms fell off, bascially to see how much talent and technique we'd lost since the spring. Don't know what the answer was (apparently I didn't die so quickly this year) but my shoulders were/are dead. I think I did about 1350m in the 45 mins.

Monday
    Was off work and had something on from lunchtime onwards so walked to school with Miss D and Lexi and then went on for a nice walk with Lexi. Then home and in for a quick swim. 30 mins and 950m. Nothing special but was good to get moving during a period of focus on other things.

Sunday
    Customary Christmas Day family run with Mrs & Master D. 5.5k in about 27 mins. My first run in 29 days. Back on the horse now. Happy Christmas folks!

• Advertisement

Monday
    Tradition dictates that we partake one a charity 5k organised by a local AC. So we did, or 4 of us at least. It ended up being 4.9k and Master D was first home in 19:04. I was next in 20:04, including a stop to drop my jacket and gloves in the car on the way out. The girls were in around 32 mins.

Advertisement