Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 to 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Fair play C, you're doing great considering how hectic work has been. I'd have thrown in the towel by now if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Neady83 wrote: »
    Fair play C, you're doing great considering how hectic work has been. I'd have thrown in the towel by now if I were you.
    Oh trust me S I've been close to throwing in the towel on many occasions.... but I need the money so I have to keep going back in! :P

Seriously though it's not the biggest problem to have in the world. Many people are dealt much worse hands and have no control over it so it's just a matter of remembering where I am is a result of my own choices - of job & how I do it, of hobbies, etc. Long may I continue to be able to juggle it all. :)

Wed
    Got back to the hotel and there was a family playing in the pool, which put an end to any illusion of doing lengths. Tbh it's only about 10m long anyway so I could nearly swim a length with just push-offs.

Thur
    Awake early, sweating. The aircon is so noisy I can't leave it on at night and there's a fire station up the road so leaving a window open is not a great option.

Waited till it got bright then went for my tempo run. Identified a block around Disneyland which was just the right length so I ran to it, did two laps and then back. Plan (actual) was 1.5(1.5)km wu, 6.5(6.5)km @4:25(4:24)/km, 1.5(2.4)km cd.

Lots of other runners out this morning and met several of them twice on the block. First time they were mostly eyes-down, second time though most of them were returning my greetings and one even pre-empted it. It was almost as if I was being admitted to their group of Disney block morning runners. Or they figured that the crazy Paddy would do them no harm if they appeased him with a wave. Made for a pleasant run though.

Dilbert75 wrote: »

That, that is so true in so many ways, sums up my feelings on running, biking and the gym :D

That pool sounds like my kinda pool :)

• Advertisement

That pool sounds like my kinda pool :)
    Nah - you'd crack up. It's actually pretty much useless unless you want to paddle or splash about with kids. I went to have another look this evening and it's not worth getting wet for. Wrecks my head. :(

Nah - you'd crack up. It's actually pretty much useless unless you want to paddle or splash about with kids. I went to have another look this evening and it's not worth getting wet for. Wrecks my head. :(

Shoot, sorry C, I know how much you're improving in the pool so getting to swim would be a great benefit while you're away.

Shoot, sorry C, I know how much you're improving in the pool so getting to swim would be a great benefit while you're away.
    There are bigger problems in the world :)

Thur
    Nothing. My cross training options are bike, row or swim and none of my available equipment inspired me enough to go to the fitness room before work. Got picked up at 4:30pm to go back to the airport.

Fri
    Travelling till 11:00pm. Pooped.

Sat
    Pooped. Up early on dad-duty but panned put on the sofa afterwards and watched the rugby in the afternoon. Nothing done.

Sun
    Dog woke me at 7:57 looking for her breakfast. Still pooped - going on a while now. Starting to wonder if i need a tonic - but I reckon I'm just after overcommitting myself and need to get more sleep. I'll have more time from mid-March onwards so I just need to get over the hump.

Procrastinated as much as I could - even resorted to doing the grocery shopping - but eventually in the afternoon I bit the bullet to go out for my long run. Paid for waiting - it started to rain just before I went out. Got 500m out and turned around for my jacket (my new Trail Tempest, as worn by some of the top adventure racers in the country). Thought I'd take it off after 3 or 4k but I never needed to. It quite literally saved me from hypothermia because the cold wind & rain seemed to be in my face for the first 23 or 24k. The energy levels were struggling a bit towards the end but I managed to get it done with the help of only some electrolyte water and one glucose sweet. Plan (actual): 32 (32.1) @5:02 (5:01) / km. 7 weeks left....

A postscript to the above. I seem of late to have worsened my posture when on longer runs.

I noticed this first on my long run last week. It was dark and raining and when traffic was coming towards me there were like coronas around the headlights. Then when I got to streetlit areas it appeared around the streetlights. I put it down to the mizzle on my eyelashes. But when I got indoors it persisted and I had to go straight to Aldi to pick up some stuff and my vision was all clouded - I could see perfectly but it was hazy, if that makes sense. I was starting to fear that I'd had a stroke and that if I didn't get medical attention quickly I could be in trouble. But I could also feel the tension in my neck and shoulders and the visual disturbance reminded me of migraine. So I had a hot bath and automagically my vision came back to normal.

I was conscious of it today when I was going out and several times I had to deliberately remind myself to relax. Yet I still have aches in my neck and shoulders, even after a bath.

I don't know if it's connected with wearing the head torch - though I wore it with no problem when I was doing the Clonmel mountain run in November. In any case it's something to look out for. If I don't get control of it my running efficiency is going to be poor and any distance I do is going to be unnecessarily difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Could it be down to being over tired for visual disturbances. I often get blurry vision during the long AR's and it's always much harder running at night especially when you're keeping to a pace. Oh and weak core for sore shoulders and neck. You know what you have to do :D

Could it be down to being over tired for visual disturbances. I often get blurry vision during the long AR's and it's always much harder running at night especially when you're keeping to a pace. Oh and weak core for sore shoulders and neck. You know what you have to do :D

I was tired both times ('cos I normally am) but not stay-up-all-night-till-sleep-monsters-appear tired. The darkness could be a factor alright and it was worse on the later run than on the longer, earlier run. The weak core wouldn't be very far away from the truth either but how much each contributed is difficult to say.

Jesus C, you're really burning the candles at both ends. Would it be worth a trip to the doc or for an eye test?

Jesus C, you're really burning the candles at both ends. Would it be worth a trip to the doc or for an eye test?

I'm probably due for a check up sometime soon alright. And the last eye test I had was 24 years ago! But I'm grand - like you said it's just me burning the candle.

OK well this week was almost a write-off. Busy Mon-Wed evenings and dad-duty on Thur evenings (Miss D is making her confirmation so we had a holy meeting to attend).

Fri
    I had to leave work by about 1:45 if I was to get a run in, leaving time to get washed & changed before going to an appointment at 4pm and a night out with Mrs D. Anyway it was nearer 2:15 when I left and by the time I got to the track I realised I wouldn't have enough time to do a meaningful run and everything else. So I reluctantly turned for home.

Sat
    Plan was to be out for my long run at 8am. Woke up at 9:40. So by the time I was fed and ready, the plan changed to doing my tempo run. 16km@4:43/km was the plan and it was a little daunting. In the end it was 16.27@4:38/km average.

That sounds fine, but it really wasn't. My pacing was shocking. By 5k my average was 4:24km. I started giving some time back but not quickly enough - by 11k my average had only increased to 4:32/km, so I was 11s/km too fast for 11km. Obviously I was starting to fade then because I gave back another chunk of time in the last 5km to get back to an average of 4:38. So of the three ways I could have paced it (evenly, slow out/fast in or fast of / slow in) I chose the worst. Frustrating, all the more so because my heels and shins are now hurting more than they should.

And now I've a decision to make about tomorrow. The plan forbids consecutive run days but it's either that or have a 1-workout week. Tomorrow there's a club duathlon on, I was originally planning to participate and I'd love to do it. However the head tells me to do my long run instead. I'll roll the legs tonight and decide in the morning.

I do really need to maximise the weekends though - I'll be busy Tue, Wed and Thur nights next week, Mon night swim, so it looks like a 2-run week again. The two weeks after I'll not get to run or swim Mon - Fri so I'll lose quite a bit then. But my plan is geared towards running faster than I plan to, so hopefully I'll have enough in the bank. 7 weeks tomorrow!

Sun
    The head won. Long run with Mrs D. Plan (actual) was 24 (24.54)km @4:55(4:56)/km. First 3-4k were mostly downhill so the pace was fast early on but we gave back the time gradually as we got through all the hills. By 21km we were at 4:54/km but a stop, to decide direction to make up the distance, slowed us back. Both of us are knackered now but I'm glad I did it, albeit still disappointed to miss the duathlon. Can't do everything and be everywhere.

Mon
    Club swim. Lots of sprinting on the plan but in practice the numbers in the novice lane have grown with newbies who are where I was last year. But now I'm faster and even leaving a 10m gap on a 25m length I was catching feet before the end of the length. So it was a matter of trying to get a break between people's pauses. And then when I got clear water I was like a puppy let out to play: tearing off and burning out in a flash. But I got under control and made the best of it. Total was 1500m , plus a few minutes of water-treading practise, which was particularly unwelcome on still-tired legs but nonetheless useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Mon
    Club swim. Lots of sprinting on the plan but in practice the numbers in the novice lane have grown with newbies who are where I was last year. But now I'm faster and even leaving a 10m gap on a 25m length I was catching feet before the end of the length. So it was a matter of trying to get a break between people's pauses. And then when I got clear water I was like a puppy let out to play: tearing off and burning out in a flash. But I got under control and made the best of it. Total was 1500m , plus a few minutes of water-treading practise, which was particularly unwelcome on still-tired legs but nonetheless useful.

Get out of the novice lane!!

Steroo wrote: »
    Mon

Get out of the novice lane!!
    SHHH! Coach will hear you. She's already threatening me with that. While it's not good for my fitness, it's doing wonders for my self-esteem. There's a bit of a boost to no longer being the weakest swimmer in my lane. It's a big step up to middle lane and I'll be way back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

SHHH! Coach will hear you. She's already threatening me with that. While it's not good for my fitness, it's doing wonders for my self-esteem. There's a bit of a boost to no longer being the weakest swimmer in my lane. It's a big step up to middle lane and I'll be way back again.

You'll improve greatly when you're chasing the middle lane lads... back out of the comfort zone with you!

• Advertisement

You're right of course but in the end Coach will decide. The Tuesday novice lane is much more challenging to me so I'll see which night to choose next term.

This week is totally fecked now - after picking up a dose with muscle pains, sore throat, etc. Won't be doing anything till it's cleared up. Unfortunately that includes my long run this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Pfft man flu! No wonder you've time for spellcheck :p

Well the last few weeks have been pretty crap, training-wise. The end of the week after my last swim consisted of me not being able to talk much (a blessing for some) & barely able to eat, due to the state of my throat. Slept when I didn't have to be doing something specific. Went to the doc and got my first antibiotics in donkeys' years. Missed my first day from work in nearly a decade (gutted about that). Worked from home for 2 days. Back into a routine and then had a very busy week with other stuff.

First activity as such was a week yesterday - went for a 7.5km run (avg pace was too quick really; 4:37/km but that's what happens when you get out for a short run after not running for ages). Felt ok but the legs got tired near the end.

The following day I went for a slightly longer run. Was supposed to do 32km that day but hoped to get to 21km. That was not to be. By the time I reached 10km my right leg was hurting in a "what were you thinking?" kind of way. TBH it felt like IT band though I hoped it'd take longer than 2 weeks of inactivity to trigger that. I think my quads were just tight and of course I hadn't rolled when I got home the day before or before I came out. And I'd just spent the guts of 3 hours lugging heavy stuff down a long stairs and putting it into a truck. Great thinking, eh? Anyway, took a short cut to my destination and crawled in the gate after just over 13km (@4:57/km)

Following day the snots were back. Choking again. Not sleeping because of coughing. Went to work but got sent home at lunchtime. Worked at home for the afternoon and the following day. In work for Wed - Fri but still coughing a bit. Skipped swimming on Tue because I didn't figure it'd help in any way.

Went for a run on Friday morning - just over 8km @4:46/km and the legs felt a bit creaky at times but no problem. Still tired though.

Saturday - had a few other bits to do and didn't get most of them done. Walked Lexi while the first half of the rugby was on (courtesy of my iPod) and watched the second half (ooooh, then yayyy). Have some stuff to do this morning and will get out for a while this afternoon. Hopefully around 26km to be done. Was only supposed to be 21km per the plan - I'm supposed to be tapering - but I need to get some activity back into the legs. This time two weeks I should be within an hour of crossing the line in Rome. It's not been an ideal run-in but what the heck. It's a lovely city and hopefully it'll be a nice run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Sorry to hear you've been sick.
    Hopefully around 26km to be done. Was only supposed to be 21km per the plan - I'm supposed to be tapering - but I need to get some activity back into the legs.

That's a rookie mistake, trying to make up for skipped sessions at this late stage. You know that!

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    That's a rookie mistake, trying to make up for skipped sessions at this late stage. You know that!

I know, I know....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

I'd be doing at least 32k myself, just to "prove" the endurance didn't up and leave overnight ;)

Kurt.Godel wrote: »

I'd be doing at least 32k myself, just to "prove" the endurance didn't up and leave overnight ;)

Trust me - I considered it.

The other minor detail I neglected to mention is that the plan calls for those 21km@4:42/km, a pace I've no hope or intention of hitting. I'll hope for 5/km and I'd be happy with that.

The other minor detail I neglected to mention is that the plan calls for those 21km@4:42/km, a pace I've no hope or intention of hitting. I'll hope for 5/km and I'd be happy with that.

OK so that didn't go so well. My Wicklow-based voice of reason steered me towards doing only 21km. My own voice of reason dictated a pace of 5:00->5:10/km. Chose and out and back route where I'd be back on footpaths before it got properly dark. It was all going fine initially. Pace was fine, didn't feel of of breath, had to hold myself back a bit. Was going to take a gel early on - for practise and in case Dory should happen to drop by here - but waited till the turn.

This was really the first uh-oh moment. Took 30s to fish it out, take it and wash it down and I was stopped for this. Went to restart and the outside of my right leg had stiffened up dramatically. Stopped and dug my knuckles in and it was ok on restart.

Kept going 95% discomfort-free till I got back to town. Stopped on the top of the bridge to cross the road and restarted ok but quickly had a major uh-oh money. Right leg locked up, couldn't even stand on it. Tried knuckles on both quad and calf, dug fingers into both, etc. All to no avail. Same as last week only worse. No payphones around any more but thankfully a local shop let me call home for a lift. Lucky I hadn't planned to go further or I'd have been in the middle of nowhere at this point.

Just out of a hot, salty bath, which was preceded by some quite painful foam rolling. This is a problem. Not a broken limb or torn ligament problem but a problem nonetheless. It feels like muscle tension but not cramp. I'll throw deep heat on it and see how it is in the morning. Yes it has me spooked. I suppose the upside is that I didn't feel unfit and those 14km passed comfortably in 5:01/km. So it's not all bad.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear things ain't going your way C. It must be very difficult to keep any level of consistency with training when you're working crazy hours and have a family to come home to - it's no wonder you're getting sick.

Two more weeks of training before taper time? Have you been to a physio?

Advertisement