Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 to 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Thanks S. No the Rome marathon is on Sunday week. So I missed the last 2 weeks of training and first week of taper. Now taper week 2 is upset. 2/3 of my normal physio are on holidays this week (they're a couple) so I'm booked into another place tomorrow evening. Apparently he loves putting in needles :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Thanks S. No the Rome marathon is on Sunday week. So I missed the last 2 weeks of training and first week of taper. Now taper week 2 is upset. 2/3 of my normal physio are on holidays this week (they're a couple) so I'm booked into another place tomorrow evening. Apparently he loves putting in needles :o

Oh crap, I did the maths wrong in my head. Two weeks is n't much time to get your house in order.

My physio pops the needles in but doesn't believe in twiddling with them or flicking them as I know other physios do. I hope your guy doesn't flick them. Fingers crossed you get a good result but you'll have to be honest about your pace in Rome .... there's no point in mucking up the rest of the season for yourself.

True. Rome was only ever going to be a sightseeing trip anyway - I just want to be able to finish, preferably with Mrs D without causing her a personal record slowest time. Tbh I was training faster than I plan to run, because I knew I'd have 2 weeks of disruption and would fall back. This is an unwelcome further hiccup but there are worse things in life. I've two friends undergoing chemotherapy at present so that keeps it in perspective.

True. Rome was only ever going to be a sightseeing trip anyway - I just want to be able to finish, preferably with Mrs D without causing her a personal record slowest time. Tbh I was training faster than I plan to run, because I knew I'd have 2 weeks of disruption and would fall back. This is an unwelcome further hiccup but there are worse things in life. I've two friends undergoing chemotherapy at present so that keeps it in perspective.

Sorry to hear about your friends C, indeed, we are all human after all and we are extremely lucky to be fit , healthy and able to do what we do. We probably all need to make more of the small wins even if we don't see them as wins. I bet thoughts of your friends will get you through that marathon.

Tuesday
    Club swim. Back into an endurance block. Missed last 2 weeks of speed block and first week of endurance so it was a rude awakening getting back in.

My cunning plan to get back in the lane with the faster novice swimmer fell through because she's since been promoted. She's hanging on the back but already finding improvements. But I was struggling tonight, using muscles I haven't used in a month, so in no position to move up.

Spent the first 20 mins (well 2nd 10mins, because I was late from work as usual) practising drills for rounding buoys and overtaking slower swimmers (I'll try remember for next year). This is where seal turns come in handy. Then we went on to sets of 300m trying to keep stroke rate and pace steady. Got a cramp in the sole of my right foot at one stage, reminding me I'm lined up for pain tomorrow night for good reason. Think we covered about 1200m in the 40 mins. Bet after it.

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    Physio visit. OhsweetmotherofthebabyJesus. Started off with a very thorough interview then a check of biomechanics. Turns out my right leg is longer than my left and my right quads and calf are better developed too. Have a 6mm riser to put under my left insole.

Then a check of flexibility. What flexibility? Found my right calf tighter than my left but medial tightness rather than lateral. Long story short the problem seems to be coming from my exceptionally tight right glute. So my exceptionally tight right glute is now like a pin cushion. Needles inserted, twisted and flicked in all directions. Then a "massage" - first finger tips, then elbow. Told me to go for a walk when I got home, which I duly did. Dog still wondering if she's going to get dinner now, I reckon.

Let's see what tomorrow brings. Will run again Friday, maybe swim or bike tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

A 6mm riser :O no wonder you've been getting injured.

Sounds like a worthwhile session with the physio though. I haven't heard of one person coming back from the physio lately, myself included, that doesn't have a problem with the glutes. We should have some sort of a glute strengthening month long challenge on here.

Hope this gets you back on the road very soon :)

Funnily enough someone in the running club had a similar diagnosis yesterday morning but her's had an inch in the difference!

He knows his onions alright. As the bruising and puncture wounds are healing, I'm optimistic that it'll get me round and annoyed at myself that all the signs have been there for so long but I ignored them. I wreck my own head sometimes.

Thursday
    Gym - planned to be wattbike but neither was available. Spin bike instead. Plan was 10m easy, 3x(2 min tempo, 2 min easy), 10 min easy. Easy was >80rpm, tempo was >100rpm with a full extra turn of resistance. Total was apparently 19.4km in 32 mins.

Hip is quite nicely bruised but behaving itself so far. Tomorrow will tell a lot.

Tomorrow will tell a lot.

"Tomorrow" ended up telling me very little, except maybe that I need a different job. Said I "had" to leave by 3 (bearing in mid I'm supposed to finish at 1) and eventually got out at 4:45. Had other stuff on that evening, so my chance of running was gone. Yesterday, being the ace dad I am :P, was spent driving to, sitting in and driving home from AIT, where Master D was running in the national indoor relays. They qualified for the final but didn't medal. More stuff on last night so running was missed again.

Sun
    Plan called for 16km at pmp. There is no pmp at this stage so went with Mrs D to see how it'd go. First time with the 6mm riser under my left insole - didn't stick it in place until I'd tried it out but it felt largely fine, barring when I was coming down a steep hill and it started to slide forward (I must've been heel striking). A quick adjustment and it was grand again. Kept it going to 16.8km at 4:59/km average. Mechanically it felt OK - a few tweaks in my left knee, as you'd expect after a change in the biomechanics, but seems OK. But I found it tiring and am a bit intimidated by the prospect of a full marathon in a week. Either a more controlled pace throughout or a run/walk strategy might be called for.

To compound things, I'm travelling to Paris for work Mon-Wed (I'll be on my feet all day Tuesday and Wed morning) and then off to Rome on Thursday am. Need to work on my hydration, rest, stretching and rolling in particular for the next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I'd be wary of that riser. Get a 2nd opinion. Could it be a pelvic tilt .. tight hip / glute / QL/ psoas on one side ?

I had that diagnosis a few years ago and it made things worse.

Just be wary that's all I'm saying. I know some people do need them.

Steroo wrote: »
    I'd be wary of that riser. Get a 2nd opinion. Could it be a pelvic tilt .. tight hip / glute / QL/ psoas on one side ?

Dunno. He's a chartered Physio and comes recommended by several people. I don't feel qualified to contradict him but I will be running it by my regular Physio next chance I get.

I'm curious why my right leg muscles are visibly bigger than my left - my regular Physio noted it before but never commented on cause. And the distance from the iliac crest to ankle on one side measures 9mm longer on one side than the other.

So I'm really not sure. I'll reckon I'll go with it till next week and see what happens. My glutes etc. are definitely tight but it'd be hard to change that in a week so a temporary workaround is required.

Dunno. He's a chartered Physio and comes recommended by several people. I don't feel qualified to contradict him but I will be running it by my regular Physio next chance I get.

I'm curious why my right leg muscles are visibly bigger than my left - my regular Physio noted it before but never commented on cause. And the distance from the iliac crest to ankle on one side measures 9mm longer on one side than the other.

So I'm really not sure. I'll reckon I'll go with it till next week and see what happens. My glutes etc. are definitely tight but it'd be hard to change that in a week so a temporary workaround is required.

Well that sounds very defensive, doesn't it? :o. Not intended to sound that way - the looming prospect of 42.2km after the last 6 weeks is looking quite intimidating. I never asked the important question: what adverse effect did a riser cause you? Cos I need to look out for that too, even if just short-term.

It's months now since I stopped doing my mini yoga routine and i restarted last night. My right glutes are a disgrace. The tightness, right where he was needling, is phenomenal. For example I can put my left ankle on my right knee and hold my left shin horizontal or lower. The other side, though, gets nowhere near horizontal. That's due to the tightness just behind my hip and, while it's always been that way, it's much worse now than before. Gonna do my yoga a couple of times a day for the next few days and hopefully avoid any more acute problems. Then it'll be a longer process to improve it.

Sorry to hear that it's all going to pot so close to Rome C. Are you happy to adopt a conservative effort to get around it with some enjoyment and not risk injuring yourself? There's a long summer ahead with lots of marathons and triathlons to be done. It would be a shame to spend the summer in rehab.

I'm happy out to just get round. Only concern is that I'm pretty poor at running slower than normal, so it'll be a struggle. But it was never going to be a goal race for me so I'm genuinely not bothered about setting a pb. This one's about the journey as much as the destination.

It didn't sound defensive to me, chartered is usually reliable for these things. It's just that in my case the riser was used to fix the symptom rather than the problem.

Tight muscles , imbalances and poor form were the issues I had. So a riser just made things worse.. it became more uncomfortable. If it's working for you then great, just minitor it.

The yoga is a great call.. try loosen it all out. Experiment with deep positions.

This one is good https://youtu.be/w0z0_Y43POk

You sure that's the right link??? :D

Eh no! That was the ad that preceded the video .. i panicked there for a second thinking WTF link dis I post! ;)

Try this https://youtu.be/omwhgim1Jyc

Best of luck on Sunday C :) Hope ye have a really enjoyable day. Looking forward to hearing about about your adventure in Rome.

Dilbert knocked it out of the park in Rome on Sunday in 3:57:44 :) Nice one C :)

• Advertisement

Neady83 wrote: »
    Dilbert knocked it out of the park in Rome on Sunday in 3:57:44 :) Nice one C :)

Super! I thought it was next week

Good man D

Slight exaggeration but thanks S. I'm afraid I wrote a race report while I was sitting in the airport this morning and it makes Bertie Ahern sound concise:

So the Rome marathon had been on The List for a long time. We’d talked about it but the dates never seemed to work for us before. But this year I made an executive decision to just do it and booked the race entries before Christmas. Picked up an apartment on Booking.com and the flights fell in with the timing – out on Thursday and back on the following Tuesday.

As preparation for marathons go, the build-up wasn’t great. Up to six weeks before I’d been getting my 3 runs and 2 cross-training sessions in most weeks. Then came a confluence of other commitments, illness (respiratory infection) and injury, meaning a planned 2-week disruption lasted for the full last 6 weeks. Despite that, we landed in Rome with me reasonably intact and healthy and with some degree of confidence that I could grind out a decent finish, though a pb was long gone off the cards.

As we drew closer, the weather forecast for the day was oscillating between warm & dry and cool & damp. We soaked up the vitamin D in the first few days and wondered could we really see an about-turn for race day. Going to the Expo on Friday it was a cracking day – factor 30 on as we got off the Metro and took (yet another) wrong turn to (again) make a short walk very long. But we eventually found Piazza John Kennedy (them Wexford lads get in everywhere) and registered. The hassle and hoops of having a medical certificate and proof of membership of an IAAF organisation seemed a million miles away as they forgot to ask for the medical certs and insisted on us filling out declarations of membership, refusing the letters that Athletics Ireland had provided. :angry:

By Saturday evening, the weather pages were all agreeing on cool temperatures - 13-14°C – and a likelihood of rain, with a possibility of thunderstorms. Delightful. Come to Rome, they said. It’ll be lovely, they said. It was still dry early on Sunday morning when we got up but as leaving time approached the sky was greying. At this point I decided to go with my tried and trusted shorts and t-shirt rather than my tri club colours, which I hadn’t tested in the rain before. However I neglected to use the Body Glide I’d brought, though. This was a lapse I’d regret when I got in the shower later. :o

The apartment was about 800m from the Colosseum so we left shortly after 8am and walked down. The route to the start line was quite tortuous though and, after queuing for the loo (urgh) we joined some other green (3rd) wave runners for the start pen. The orange (4th) wave runners had much more space to get in and it soon became clear that the gun had gone for all waves before we got past the bib check. So we started way behind the last pace group, mixed in with slower runners and walkers. And then it started raining. Properly raining. We were expecting a short stretch of cobbles at the start and end but that wasn’t what we got. They went on for ages at the start and being uneven was bad enough but being wet added an extra dimension. When we got off the cobbles, it became clear that the tarmac surfaces were generally quite poorly-maintained, with lots of holes and patches. Leaving that all aside, the first few km passed OK with the runners cheering with the first few flashes of lightning and rolls of thunderstorms. We were very much hemmed in though - 5k passed at 29:26 (5:53/km). It’s been a long while since I ran 5k at that pace but it wasn’t bothering me because it was just what I needed.

The next 5k was more of the same – rain and more rain. Took my first SIS lemon & lime gel at 8km and washed it down with a bottle of water I picked up at the 5k water stop. Tbh the stops were a bit of a shambles throughout – mostly only one side of the road, so people would cross in front of you to get to them, and plastic cups on the first few tables, so they were followed by a several hundred metres long carpet of discarded cups. Subsequent tables had bottles and, at later stops, fruit, which was good. The second 5k wasn’t much faster than the first, at 27:52 (5:34/km). It was also becoming obvious that my Garmin was measuring a longer distance than the route marking. It was a couple of hundred metres at this stage and would eventually reach about 1.1km over by 40km (before a tunnel where no distance was measured pulled it back a bit). But I digress. Took a second gel at 12km and, although it went down OK, my tummy felt a bit uneasy afterwards. In the last 5k of the first half I chewed down 3 shot blox and swallowed a salt capsule and had no problem digesting them. (Actually only one of my three salt capsules survived the earlier rain).

We got to halfway bang on 2 hrs (5:39/km for the next 11.1km, 5:41/km average for first half), including a stop for the loo that took 2-3 mins for queuing. Had a few pace groups to re-pass after we re-joined. It had been dry for about 45 mins at that stage and the clothes were starting to dry out thankfully. It never got warm but I wasn’t cold at that stage. The third quarter was unremarkable and I honestly don’t remember large parts of it. I was just keeping on keeping on. By now my legs were aching a bit but the left ankle and right calf niggles I’d had until that morning had receded, at least in comparison to the general discomfort.

The 25km mark landed after another 21 mins, marking our fastest segment of the race (5:23/km). 30km arrived 27:24 later, after average of 5:28/km. Race average so far had fallen to 5:36/km at this stage and that remained our pace from 30-35km marks, maintaining that average. I think it was somewhere in this phase that we passed St Peter’s Basilica and several runners stopped dead to take selfies in the literal middle of a marathon outside it. I kid you not.

The sky was darkening now and, sure enough, the heavens opened for the last 5km or so. And we were into narrow shopping streets, running on wet cobbles and obviously we slowed slightly. The 40km split was 28:30, for an overall average of 5:37/km and we crossed the finish line just under 13 mins later for an average of 5:38/km, or 3:57:44. Happy out with that, albeit wet to the skin. Twas a triumph of stubbornness over ill-preparedness.

Having prepaid to get our medals engraved, I dropped them in and went to the other side of the tent to receive them. This turned out to be the last shambles of the day. The company doing the engraving were waiting on finish times from the organisers and, between the jigs and the reels, it was slow coming. We waited for 30-40 mins in the mildering rain before we gave up. Went back 3 hours later to collect them and it still took a half hour to get them. They must never have heard of iTab.

Much eating and quite some drinking followed. The end.

Are we glad we did it? Yes.
    Would we do it again? Probably not. That box is ticked now. No 6 for me and no 32 for Mrs. D. Maybe one more this year? Where and when? No idea yet. Let's get walking normally before making any big decisions. And breathing normally- the shnots are back so I've to shake it off all over again. :(

Well the week since Rome was predictably busy. Monday was spent walking around. Went to see the Vatican but were too late getting there to deal with 2hr queues - we were meeting a friend in the afternoon so we gave it a miss and went gift shopping instead.

Tuesday was all travel. Had planned to club swim but was, and am still, very shnottery, so wouldn't have been the best idea. Back to work on Wed and the predictable chaos. Ended up doing 3x13hr days trying to catch up (as well as losing 2 days of holidays :().

Sat
    Was working till 2am so missed parkrun. Did other stuff so no exercise.

Sun
    Out for a 10k with Mrs D. Nice hilly route but we still did 10.75km in 54mins. Right glute was complaining before, during and after. Of course I've let my yoga slide - I frustrate the head off myself sometimes.

Mon
    Snuck out of work early(ish) so stopped into the gym on the way home. Grabbed the Wattbike just in front of another guy and instantly regretted it when I found the sensor wasn't working. So I could connect my HR strap but that's all the functionality it had. So I pedalled away with reasonable resistance on for about 20 mins until he got off the spin bike beside me, then I jumped onto it. Another 20 mins, with 11.3km showing after similar effort to before, so I'm going to claim that as 22.5km. Straight off the bike and onto the treadmill to run 1km at 7min/km pace. Sleepwalked my way into getting a job as a 70min pacer in the Tri Club's annual Easter Monday 10km next week so I said I'd try see if I could do it (I could on the treadmill but still need to do it on the road :confused:).

Tue
    Club swim. Mixture of 150m FC@80%, 50m easy b-stroke and 50m fc sprints. Then there were some other sets that I forget. Then the watery version of hare coursing where some poor suckers (me included) got a head start along the pool and the sharks were put at the wall and we had to get to the end of the pool without getting passed. Got punched, kicked, swam over, swam under, etc. Great simulation for front-of-pack swimmers but where I usually start tri swims are a lot more sedate. But a hell of a way to finish a swim session. 1800m total for me.

Wed
    Working late

Thur
    Working late

Fri
    Not working late but visitors so still no training. Considering a third return to Lough Cutra ('cos the feckers again sent me a code for a chunky discount). Third time lucky in the murky waters of Lough Cutra? It's a 2-day event this year and the shorter distances are on Sat AM and the kids' events are on Sun pm, which is a balls.

Gang from the club going up on the Friday and staying till Monday - so I've a space in the house they've rented - but I've probably got two consecutive trips starting the following Wednesday (Italy & US) so I won't be able to stay that long. Need to decide by Tuesday at the latest.

Sat
    First training run with WMC. 13.4km around some trails at Tintern Abbey and the surrounding roads. Lovely run with a lovely bunch in a lovely spot. 5:29/km moving average.

Recovery is going well C? Any niggles after the marathon?

Recovery is going well C? Any niggles after the marathon?

Not bad at all thanks S. Could do with a less gradual reintroduction tbh.

How are you? How's taper going? I can provide a dictionary definition if you need :P

Sun
    3.63km in the woods at an attempted 6:58/km. Not very successful as I ended up averaging 6:46/km. Tomorrow is going to be difficult. Have to concentrate on taking very short steps.

Mon
    Rosslare 10k. I was pacing 70 mins and, with a bit of concentration, it went ok. Crossed the line myself at 69:42, inside my window of 1-2s/km under 7:00. Had 3 runners with me until 9.5km. 2 made it in under 70 mins, 1 dropped back on the last drag and finished +3s. Happy with that. Club had a massive spread of food afterwards - really good show for our biggest entry yet.

• Advertisement

Tue
    Club swim. Because of the bank holiday, Mon and Tue groups were together so mayhem was guaranteed by the fact that Coach took the opportunity to practise mass group swimming, incl swimming over, under or beside each other in order to get past. She reckons we did about 1600m but it was all in sprints so I'm utterly bet after it. Good fun though.

Advertisement