Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 to 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

You must be living your athletic life vicariously through the 5 of us .... maybe you need to stop reading logs :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Awh Dilbert, your post above brought a tear to my eye. Mrs. D has had an unbelievable year, as have you and I've no doubt that Mrs. Ds success is attributed in no small part to your support and encouragement. It sounds like ye make a great team. Maybe you could steer her in the direction of Coast2Coast this year? Ye could enter as a team .......

Happy New Year C, I've no doubt that you'll hit all of the targets that you've set out for the year (and most likely only tell us about half of them). I wish you and your super energetic family a happy and healthy year and many PBs :) Thank you for all your support and advice during the year, you're a ray of sunshine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    - maybe 1 24hr navigation AR (if I can find a willing team).

Meanwhile: happy 2016 everyone.:D
    1. Happy New Year. Well done on 15 and push on now in 16
    2. Mrs D... wow!
    3. Always teams looking for lunatics. We will share any updates as such on our FB. Always welcome to join us on training weekends etc. I'll be designing a few

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Yesterday: nothing. The sunny south east wasn't (well it was still the south east but...). Planned a turbo session but got into trying to sort out an event calendar and the morning went away from me very quickly. It's not easy to coordinate my Tri calendar, my AR calendar, Mrs. D's marathon calendar, Master D's athletics, Tri & music calendars and Miss D's basketball calendar and I haven't managed it yet - I suspect it won't be final till it's finished. Anyway enough of that. Had visitors for dinner so spent the afternoon preparing and cooking and the evening eating.

Today: Cycle with Master D. Had considered going to Wexford town to meet some tri club people for a 70k cycle but got my timing wrong (I.e. slept too late). Just as well. This was, I think, my first time on my bike since SCAR in the middle of Oct :o. And it felt it. Went out towards Wexford and we were both feeling good. When we turned after a half hour we realised why: we were facing into a head wind. Still we got it done: 28.83km in 1:08; avg 25.3km/hr, 140bpm, 85rpm. From little acorns...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I always knew you had good taste, but your list of your 5 biggest sporting influences proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt! :D( on behalf of the hoochies, thank you!) And what an interesting (and valuable) statistic - your planned vs. actual numbers. I suspect if you can work thru the reason for the discrepancy and conclude what reasonable and realistic training for you looks like, then your goals and targets might become clearer to you.

But honestly, what a wonderful year you and Mrs. D had - you two are the dynamic duo!! And I agree with Needy - you are a ray of sunshine around here, so thank you for shining (and smiling) down on all of us! :) Happy New Year to you and your family. :)

• Advertisement

Spent most of the day in Kilkenny with Miss D - her basketball team were playing in a blitz. They got to the semi-final where they were edged out by one basket and she scored in all of the games, so well happy.

Sunday evening swim:
    11x25m w/u
    4x25m with hand paddles & pull buoy
    6x25m FC
    3x250m IM (25 FC, 50 BC, 75 BS & 100 FC) in 6:02, 6:06, 6:05 with 2 min rest
    3x25m c/d FC with hand paddles & pull buoy

Total 1250m in 36:43.

I love my new Garmin Swim! :D

BTW thanks for the messages of encouragement. Looking back, my 11 planned sessions (3 swim, 3 run, 3 bike, 2 gym) a week might have been excessive. I'm going to plan a little more conservatively and hopefully adhere a bit better to it.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Maybe you could steer her in the direction of Coast2Coast this year? Ye could enter as a team ......

Nearly missed replying to this. Alas no. Mrs. D is a committed road runner. Trail is not really her thing, though she might conceivably be persuaded. She doesn't however, under any circumstances, do boats. So a 26.5km kayak would rule her out.

Come to think of it my experience in a kayak at the Blackstairs AR would predict that 2 days wouldn't be adequate for me to complete the kayak, never mind the rest of it. :(

First day back to work and lucky to be healthy & employed enough to do so. Have an earful of this:

https://youtu.be/oHs98TEYecM

Happy 2016!

Nearly missed replying to this. Alas no. Mrs. D is a committed road runner. Trail is not really her thing, though she might conceivably be persuaded. She doesn't however, under any circumstances, do boats. So a 26.5km kayak would rule her out.

Come to think of it my experience in a kayak at the Blackstairs AR would predict that 2 days wouldn't be adequate for me to complete the kayak, never mind the rest of it. :(

It's a double kayak if you're in a pair (so you've help) and they move quite quickly. I'd only been kayaking twice before C2C and one of them was a disaster as I was out of the kayak more time than I was in it. You'd be grand :)
    First day back to work and lucky to be healthy & employed enough to do so. Have an earful of this:

https://youtu.be/oHs98TEYecM

Happy 2016!

You're always on the positives :) Happy first day back at work for 2016 :)

• Advertisement

Yesterday:
    "Rest" (I.e. nothing)

Today:
    Club swim - session 1 of the speed block
    300wu
    8x25 LIFO 1 breath per length (disastrous and the more frustrated I got the worse I got)
    100fc
    3x [25fc steady, 75fc sprint, 50fc steady, 50fc sprint, 75fc steady, 25fc sprint, 100fc sprint - 20s rest between 100s]
    100easy be
    6x50fc sprint off 1:15

That should add up to 1900. Never worked so hard in a pool before. Nearly barfed a few times. But in Coach I trust.

Now considering going home, getting shaved and dressed for work, having breakfast and going to bed. Arms might not be working too well tomorrow I suspect.

Now considering going home, getting shaved and dressed for work, having breakfast and going to bed. Arms might not be working too well tomorrow I suspect.

Putting your seatbelt on will be the toughest ;) Fair play, if you're close to barfing, you're bloody well pushing it. I'd love to able swim so hard that I'm close to barfing some day.

Putting your seatbelt on will be the toughest ;) Fair play, if you're close to barfing, you're bloody well pushing it. I'd love to able swim so hard that I'm close to barfing some day.

Unfortunately there's a significant difference between swimming hard and swimming well. I swim hard. :(

Yesterday: working late (again - an undesirable pattern is emerging...)

Today: Gym. Apparently races are won in the winter so I need to get the finger out.
    Rower: 2km, level 10, 7:56
    Watt bike: 22mins; 6x(2 mins>130W, 1min>340W), 4mins>100W
    Diverging lat pulldown: 5x50lbs 2 hands, 5x50lbs right hand, 5x50lbs left hand, 5x70lbs both hands.
    Converging chest press: 2x 5x50lbs both hands
    Diverging lat pulldown: 5x70lbs both hands.
    Converging chest press: 2x 5x50lbs both hands

Also booked a fitness assessment for Saturday to get a gym programme put together for me. Better than aimlessly drifting around like I am at the moment.

Today:
    Turbo. I can't make the club turbo on Wednesday nights so, rather than miss out on the fun/torture, I decided to cowboy up this evening for a makey-uppey session as follows:
    5 mins easy
    10 mins hr zone 3
    3x {5x(1 min cad 110-120, 1 min cad 70-80)+5 min easy)}
    5 min hr zone <2
    5 min hr zone <1.5

Total: a whiff over 70 mins, 32-odd fake kms, about 2litres of water.

Today:
    Run 16.8km, 1:21, avg pace 4:49/km, avg hr 150bpm.

Little Miss D questioned whether it was wise to do this within 12 hours of my turbo session. It probably wasn't but I wanted to get out while it wasn't horrible and I've other things on later. First 6 or 8km were grand - very hilly but I'm good with that. Came to a shorter/longer decision point at 8km and went longer. Started to flag at 10km as I went into a 2km drag but kicked myself in the butt and got on with it. Met a HUGE crowd of walkers in the last 2 or 3km - there's an Operation Transformation thing organised around the local pool & gym. Great to see so many people out in the fresh air.

While Dory, Neady and Shotgun are on a hardcore diet, I'm trying to be better with mine. I'm also on a digital diet - cutting time on Boards and Facebook. It was getting out of hand and I was spending time meandering on them when I could have been doing important things.

Today:
    Fitness assessment - general measurement of current state (conclusion was I'm a shade overweight, very inflexible with no upper body or core strength - none of this was news). Will have a 2 day per week plan ready for me next weekend. That's the easy bit - sticking to it will be harder.

For some reason an old Chinese saying came to mind this morning: "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now". Rather than beating myself up over all the improvements I could have made if I'd trained more consistently, I'm gonna focus on planting that tree now and see how it grows.

Swim: a gentle 750m in 22:41. Had planned to do more but it was a productive 24 hours and I want to cycle tomorrow, so didn't want to burn out straight away.

Fitness assessment - general measurement of current state (conclusion was I'm a shade overweight,

WTF Really? Were the scales broken? If that's the case, there's no hope for me.

I'm gonna focus on planting that tree now and see how it grows.

That's a nice way of putting it :)

You're too kind S. It's relatively easy for a mv40 to hide a couple of kilos around the waist and that's where I have it. In truth if I lost 3kg there and put on 1.5kg in shoulder and arm muscle it'd be ideal.

What is a "mv40"?

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    What is a "mv40"?

My race category: male veteran over 40...

Sunday:
    Best day of the year so far: dry, bright, fresh. No dad duty so lots of training done? Nope. Car due its test tomorrow so started one or two small jobs. One turned into a big job. If I ever get my hands on whoever designed the bootlid cover I'll pull off their arms and beat them with the soggy ends. What should have taken minutes took hours and left scars. Ended up washing cars afterwards - in the dark. The only two vaguely training-related elements of my day were the core workout I got trying to clean my front windscreen (while sliding around on the leather seats) and using my new headtorch (it's awesome).

Monday:
    Watt bike: 30km, 50 mins. Avg hr 128 BPM, avg cadence 67rpm, avg power 187Watts. Legs were like jelly after that.

Monday:
    Watt bike: 30km, 50 mins. Avg hr 128 BPM, avg cadence 67rpm, avg power 187Watts. Legs were like jelly after that.

I can understand why, that was some distance to cover in 50 mins especially in a high gear.

p.s. did Sundays work pay off? Did the car pass?

Did the car pass?

Didn't get there. Bringing it to warm up before the test and hit a huge pothole. Front suspension broke. Currently waiting on recovery truck. Even going to miss club swim tonight. Sickened. :(

Didn't get there. Bringing it to warm up before the test and hit a huge pothole. Front suspension broke. Currently waiting on recovery truck. Even going to miss club swim tonight. Sickened. :(

Oh no, I'm so sorry. What an absolute dose. I'm sure you've done it already but take lots of pics of the pothole and the car and have a chat with your local councillor. There's an important date coming up when they might value your support.

Honestly that's just unbelievable ..... and you're missing your swim :mad:

And that's how easy it is (for me) to fall out of routine. The rest of the week after the above debacle was, as far as I can remember, a bit of a write-off getting the car fixed, etc. That weekend I got out on the bike for about 80km (I'm claiming it as part swim, part run - ended up soaked and freezing). Nothing on Monday and club swim on Tuesday.

This started well and ended badly. Left foot cramped near the end but the final set involved sprints and seal jumps out of the pool. This was going fine till the 4th when my exuberant exit coincided with a savage right calf cramp that put an immediate stop to my gallop. Crap way to end a session. Was hobbling for the rest of the week (as I remained determined to avoid the Physioterrorist and her dry needles).

Friday, Saturday and Sunday driving. Flew to Germany on Monday for work, complete with swimming and running gear. Didn't manage a swim but got out for two runs around Leipzig. Only met one lone runner in the two runs but she reciprocated my wave and Guten Morgen. :)

First venture into the gym the following day (upper body + some of the core set) with a nice, pacey 10k trail run the following day. Sunday was a 60-odd km cycle with Master D followed by a swim. Not ideal sequencing, as it turned out, because I got a wicked left hamstring cramp (a first for me) about halfway through that cut the session short. Probably not stretching enough after training and maybe not enough magnesium in my diet either. Recovered after a shower, etc.

Nothing on Monday then club swim on Tuesday. Still loving these. Oryx was in the next lane and on several occasions I got the opportunity to delude myself that I was matching her stroke for stroke. Thing was, when I'd get to the turn I'd launch myself off the wall as she was hitting the halfway mark. A couple of times she caught up with me for a length and quickly lost me again. I soon got over the excitement of swimming with an iron athlete. But Coach rescued the mood by announcing that what we're doing in the novice lane is "starting to look like swimming". High praise indeed.

Wednesday and Thursday were again athletically unproductive due to work (home late, eat dinner, resume work till midnight). Late out of work again on Friday and nothing else done.

Saturday was gym day: first try of Day 2 of my plan - lots of barbell work and I (eventually) managed the full core set this time. Was left with the feeling that I'll have to up the weights for it to have any benefit.

Today: Tried to get out of bed - discovered those barbells had quite enough weight. Glutes aching. Went for a nice hilly 16k (80 min) run with Mrs D - she's going to Donadea next week. Abs are aching now but it's all good.

Above is the most pathetic litany of excuses for a training log entry you'll hopefully read this year.

Excuses: 10 Achievement: 0

This evening I grabbed a 12-week training plan off one of the Tri magazine's websites. I'm taking it on and I'm going to do it through. I've no goal at the end but to feed into the next one for end July racing but my ad hoc training is poo and needs to change. No more excuses. (And no more whining about work and broken cars).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

What does the 12 week plan look like? Are you doing many sessions of each and does it include core work?

Physioterrorist :D:D

Don't be so hard on yourself C, you can only do what life will allow at that moment in time and the above training isn't too shabby at all. I bet having a plan will help loads though :)

I agree with Needy, you're honestly not doing a bad job at all. Really. And the addition of a plan is brilliant! It will give you structure and some focus. Just make sure the plan isn't too ambitious...keep it realistic and don't be hard on yourself if life gets in the way. :)

• Advertisement

What does the 12 week plan look like? Are you doing many sessions of each and does it include core work?

2 sessions of each including core, so 8 in total. 1 rest day. Have jiggled it around to fit with having the club swim on a Tuesday and I'll do the gym sessions that the nice man in the gym laid out for me but otherwise I'll try stick to it and see where it gets me.

Advertisement