Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how cheap can I do this?

• 04-01-2014 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

Probably not the right place so please move if necessary mods.

I want to go to Sweden in February, Rome in March and eh somewhere else in if I think of something in May. 2 nights in each place. No hostels, I want a decent break in a hotel. I've put FA thought into this but I'm determined. So anyone wanna help recommend how I can do this as cheap as possible? or even give me a rough idea of what kinda cost I can expect so I can save. By cheap I mean flights, accommodation & transport, the basics. I'll obviously be spending a truckload on the craic :D

I'll be going on my own. Mid 20's guy here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭lc180

Short 2-3 day city breaks on the cheap are my thing, I do it as much as physically/financially possible. I've been to both Stockholm & Rome so I can give you some advice.

Flights - have you actually booked any yet? Do you know how to best use Skyscanner.ie? Its can help find you amazingly cheap fares if you are flexible with your dates.

Hotels - gonna be your biggest expense, I always stay in Hostels but when I need a hotel I use trivago.com.

Sweden - personalty I found it f*cking impossible to do on the cheap. Its one of the most expensive places in the world. Don't be fooled by the cheap Ryanair flights - that will be the cheapest part of your trip! The bus transfer to/from Skavta airport was about 35 euro(no joke), more that what I paid for my return flights! Bottles of water was 2.50 euro and pints were between 7 & 11 euro. I ate McDonalds for 2 days because that's all I could afford.
    That being said, Stockholm is a great little city! Quite a lot to see, has an interesting history, good public transport, ridiculously good looking locals, I highly recommend it but just be mentally prepared for the cost.

Rome - One of my favourite cities and notoriously expensive but I was able to survive very easily on a budget. I flew into Ciampino airport, again on cheap Ryanair flights. Got the Terravision bus transfer for 4 euro each way to/from the city. The metro is very easy to use to get about, I got a Roma Pass for 34 euro which covered free public transport and free entry/discounts for all of the attractions in Rome, it suited me but may not you depending on what you want to see/do. Lived off the amazing pizza and cheap Italian pastries for 2 days and drank in my hostel for dirt cheap.

If you have any questions just shout :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Skyscanner is a great link, that's the kind of thing I was looking for. Haven't got flights yet. I picked a random date (I'm flexible.) Stockholm Feb 17th - Feb 19th, about €170 for flights and accom in hostel. I may do hostels now that I think of it. I don't plan on being in a room much so a hotel would be a waste. Round it up to €200 - €210 incl. Transport.
    lc180 wrote: »
    Do you know how to best use Skyscanner.ie? Its can help find you amazingly cheap fares if you are flexible with your dates.

Am I reading that there's a way to use the site to get the most out of it? ;)

I've no problem living on McDonald's for a few days but €7 & €11 for pints? :(:(:(

So €50 on food, €50 on pints (I can nurse pints) and €100 miscellaneous.

About €400 in total? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 kegsmcsorley

lc180 wrote: »
    Short 2-3 day city breaks on the cheap are my thing, I do it as much as physically/financially possible. I've been to both Stockholm & Rome so I can give you some advice.

Flights - have you actually booked any yet? Do you know how to best use Skyscanner.ie? Its can help find you amazingly cheap fares if you are flexible with your dates.

Hotels - gonna be your biggest expense, I always stay in Hostels but when I need a hotel I use trivago.com.

Sweden - personalty I found it f*cking impossible to do on the cheap. Its one of the most expensive places in the world. Don't be fooled by the cheap Ryanair flights - that will be the cheapest part of your trip! The bus transfer to/from Skavta airport was about 35 euro(no joke), more that what I paid for my return flights! Bottles of water was 2.50 euro and pints were between 7 & 11 euro. I ate McDonalds for 2 days because that's all I could afford.
    That being said, Stockholm is a great little city! Quite a lot to see, has an interesting history, good public transport, ridiculously good looking locals, I highly recommend it but just be mentally prepared for the cost.

Rome - One of my favourite cities and notoriously expensive but I was able to survive very easily on a budget. I flew into Ciampino airport, again on cheap Ryanair flights. Got the Terravision bus transfer for 4 euro each way to/from the city. The metro is very easy to use to get about, I got a Roma Pass for 34 euro which covered free public transport and free entry/discounts for all of the attractions in Rome, it suited me but may not you depending on what you want to see/do. Lived off the amazing pizza and cheap Italian pastries for 2 days and drank in my hostel for dirt cheap.

If you have any questions just shout :)

WHat bus did you get for 35 euro? I usually pay 15 return

WHat bus did you get for 35 euro? I usually pay 15 return

I used Flygbussarna airport bus, with the exchange rate at the time it was really expensive, definitely above 30, IIRC about 35 euro.

What bus did you use? I wasn't aware there was an alternative.

Mint Aero wrote: »
    I may do hostels now that I think of it. I don't plan on being in a room much so a hotel would be a waste.

The best tip I can give you for cheap social backpacking is stay at a hostel that has a pub in it. They are always far cheaper than regular pubs and makes it really easy to meet people when you are on your own.

I stayed at The Yellow in Rome and during happy hour it was 1.50 for wine and 2.00 euro for pints - hard to beat!

• Advertisement
Advertisement