Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maynooth restaurants

Options
  • 04-01-2014 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Will be visiting maynooth in a few weeks and I'm looking for recommendations for places to eat? I don't really know area so any info much appreciated. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

There was a thread on this a few weeks ago, loads of reading in it, basically everywhere in Maynooth is good

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Whiteflag12

Picaderos is amazing, I have visited many times and never been disappointed, it's Spanish/ Argentinian, you can get your usual chicken and steak as well. Highly recommend.
    The Avenue is also lovely, the tables are very tight but the food and atmosphere is good. Little bit pricier.
    The gate lodge is new, only here once but the food was good and staff very nice.
    Avoid bistro 54/55? On the Main Street, been twice and it was pretty awful

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Picaderos is only ok.
    All the restaurants in Maynooth are good but I would probably ignore all the chinese restaurants and travel to Leixlip for better chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Picaderos is ok to good, bit expensive for tapas imo.

Avenue is good, always busy

Bistro 53 is good, only being once and found it fine. my sister has being a few times and always happy

not being in the Stonehaven in about 2 years so cant comment and never being in the gate lodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

anyone try the tapas place twist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭2011abc

If Twist is the 'off Main Street ' place Im thinking of its more of a cafe than Tapas venue / restaurant .Id really only use it for a cheap midday snack considering the host of excellent alternatives in town .Visited once (not long after opening) possibly best part of two years ago ,food was ok ,surroundings a bit basic ,waitress fine but kitchen staff a bit crazy ....I dont know if one gave another some kind of 'fright' but a four letter F word was screamed out ...wouldnt have been THAT bothered but for fact we were only punters in the place and had young kids with us ...
    A tenner gets a mega soup and sandwich at L'Avenue daytimes ...Picaderos started out too dear /small portions -no way proper 'tapas' philosophy ,food a bit inconsistent and hasnt moved on much BUT the live (guitar)music is amazing.Bistro 53 settling near (if not ON) top of the pile .Gatehouse formerly Greenes now ran by same people as Zest ,Clane -a very good thing -best garlic bread in Ireland -but Moroccan pizza aint as nice as back in Clane (base too thick) .
    Maynooth is the food capital of Leinster surely , certainly after Dublin and maybe Kilkenny . Definitely unbeatable on a percapita basis .Sure even the aul downstairs cafe beside the river is nice .Have been to Chill last two meals out in Maynooth -and while its not perfect they try hard and have a fresh approach.Owner often on site -and very generous with freebies/samples/complimentaries ...

Yes Maynooth (and the entire region in the MCL(Celbridge and Leixlip) Triangle !) is a foodies delight .Strangely Lucan cant come near although Finnstown is nice enough .Come to think of it every second premises in Maynooth is an eaterie especially if you include the pubs!And to think we've lost the swanky small hotel ,'Moyglare'(?) ...I think they had some SERIOUSLY expensive bottles of wine on their list at one stage (5k euro ???!!!) Carton service so slow and food never worth the horrendous wait .Celbridge Garden Centre soup and sandwich epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

2011abc wrote: »
    Visited once (not long after opening) possibly best part of two years ago

Twist's been open for the best part of a decade... it is basically a cafe that opens late with wine available; probably more continental an idea than Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

could somebody with a bit more knowledge than me make a list of all the places in Maynooth doing food, from the place beside the butchers in the Dunnes shopping centre all the way up the town to the cafe in Tesco.

at a guess im going to say 15 places

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Double that probably. I can think of 26 off the top of my head, including takeaways. And am sure I've forgotten some.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

2011abc wrote: »
    If Twist is the 'off Main Street ' place Im thinking of its more of a cafe than Tapas venue / restaurant .Id really only use it for a cheap midday snack considering the host of excellent alternatives in town .Visited once (not long after opening) possibly best part of two years ago ,food was ok ,surroundings a bit basic ,waitress fine but kitchen staff a bit crazy ....I dont know if one gave another some kind of 'fright' but a four letter F word was screamed out ...wouldnt have been THAT bothered but for fact we were only punters in the place and had young kids with us ...
    A tenner gets a mega soup and sandwich at L'Avenue daytimes ...Picaderos started out too dear /small portions -no way proper 'tapas' philosophy ,food a bit inconsistent and hasnt moved on much BUT the live (guitar)music is amazing.Bistro 53 settling near (if not ON) top of the pile .Gatehouse formerly Greenes now ran by same people as Zest ,Clane -a very good thing -best garlic bread in Ireland -but Moroccan pizza aint as nice as back in Clane (base too thick) .
    Maynooth is the food capital of Leinster surely , certainly after Dublin and maybe Kilkenny . Definitely unbeatable on a percapita basis .Sure even the aul downstairs cafe beside the river is nice .Have been to Chill last two meals out in Maynooth -and while its not perfect they try hard and have a fresh approach.Owner often on site -and very generous with freebies/samples/complimentaries ...

Yes Maynooth (and the entire region in the MCL(Celbridge and Leixlip) Triangle !) is a foodies delight .Strangely Lucan cant come near although Finnstown is nice enough .Come to think of it every second premises in Maynooth is an eaterie especially if you include the pubs!And to think we've lost the swanky small hotel ,'Moyglare'(?) ...I think they had some SERIOUSLY expensive bottles of wine on their list at one stage (5k euro ???!!!) Carton service so slow and food never worth the horrendous wait .Celbridge Garden Centre soup and sandwich epic!

Jaysus, I HATE the racket from the guitar when I'm trying to eat and talk to friends.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What is Twist Café like on Fagans lane like? they do byo. Think I've narrowed it down to there or Picaderos Restaurant. Anyone been to these places?

I used to go in regularly for coffee but found the staff a bit rude and unhelpful so stopped. I have never been there for dinner though.
    My views on Picaderos are mixed,it is fine though but very cramped when busy.
    The Avenue is a very safe bet,the food is always good.

I know people who were in both recently and were unimpressed, although the kids menu in Picaderos was highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Personally I love The Avenue, used to love Greenes but haven't been back since it changed named/owners. Chill is nice for what it is.

thanks for all the advise guys, really looking forward to visiting maynooth now.

Any other recommendations? is the castle worth seeing and how much does it cost for local taxi/hackney runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

badker wrote: »
    thanks for all the advise guys, really looking forward to visiting maynooth now.

Any other recommendations? is the castle worth seeing and how much does it cost for local taxi/hackney runs?

Castle only open around Summer months.

Local taxi €6 if you need it. Maynooth cabs give out vouchers €1 off so you can get around for a fiver

I find there is never any need for a taxi because everything is such a short walk:)

There are loads of nice pubs for both food and drink.
    There are some good irish trad sessions too.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I find there is never any need for a taxi because everything is such a short walk:)

There are loads of nice pubs for both food and drink.
    There are some good irish trad sessions too.

What pubs would you recommend? and wheres the best guinness!

• Advertisement

I don't go out often but Bradys is nice and Mc Mahons does good food.

There has been talk of a Maynooth beers for a while so we can try schedule that during your visit too,if you want:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I don't go out often but Bradys is nice and Mc Mahons does good food.

There has been talk of a Maynooth beers for a while so we can try schedule that during your visit too,if you want:)

Maynooth Beers you say.....interesting!!

Guinness is good in all over the town my father in law thinks we are spoilt in Maynooth, controversial mention of the trad session in the Newtown Inn on a Thursday night, really good craic. Rest of the week it'd be the main st though

The Newtown Inn has a trad session?
    Like a proper trad session?
    How did this bypass me? (most stuff probably does)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Suckler

Couldn't fault any of the food, service, atmosphere or price in Stonehaven any of the times I have been in it. If I'm up that way and passing Maynooth I'd nearly always head in to Stonehaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

The Roost, best place imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Avenue is my favourite, followed by the Stonehaven. Both great places to eat.

Went to the tapas place on the main street in November, didn't think it was great at all. Food seemed like a badly reheated job which given the price was a bit naff.

Maybe its nicer for dinner, but we weren't really impressed with the lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Wordless

Personally I love The Avenue, used to love Greenes but haven't been back since it changed named/owners. Chill is nice for what it is.

Greenes was very nice. Loved the auld Rye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Wordless

badker wrote: »

You can still walk around the castle grounds I think. The science museum is great but you have to book it around this year (it has Daniel O' Connell's death mask in there). The Russell library is fantastic it has the Morpheth Roll within! Take a nice walk around the Graf. Carton House is nearby which is lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

whist! Theres a science museum in Maynooth!?

Advertisement