Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who dont like sport

• 04-01-2014 2:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

I feel sorry for people who take a dislike to sport. They are really missing out on something special. I don't think there is anything that can quite match the agony or ecstacy of an epic sporting encounter. I have been through every range of emotion and back, watching various sports over the years. Experiences that the sports haters simply miss out on.

I love literature (non sporting, don't like sports books at all), film, video games, etc. But, for me, none of these can match the *intensity* of emotion produced by an epic sporting encounter. Why? Because when an epic encounter is occurring, part of you is thinking: "My god, this is real! This is actually happening!". Fictional tales lack this ingredient. This, I believe, is the difference in intensity. Real people are creating this story. This drama.

It may sound like I'm saying that sport is better than literature, etc. I'm not. Its all relative. I just don't know why some people choose to deny themselves the enjoyment of following sport.

:-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I feel sorry for people that don't liek young children.

It may sound like I'm saying that young children better than literature, etc. I'm not. Its all relative. I just don't know why some people choose to deny themselves the enjoyment of following young children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

No such thing !

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Put them in the same category as those who dont like vegetables

Clowns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

kaimera wrote: »
    I feel sorry for people that don't liek young children.

It may sound like I'm saying that young children better than literature, etc. I'm not. Its all relative. I just don't know why some people choose to deny themselves the enjoyment of following young children.

You've had enough of whatever youre on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It may sound like I'm saying that sport is better than literature, etc. I'm not. Its all relative. I just don't know why some people choose to deny themselves the enjoyment of following sport.

I don't think anybody chooses to deny themselves the enjoyment of following sport. They just don't happen to like it.

We had the same discussion on here not so long ago about music. "why would anybody choose not to like music?"

It's just that different people like different things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

gooooooooooooooooooooooo sportsteam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I do find the blanket dislike of sport rather odd myself I must say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Love playing sport, but to pushed about watching it, especially on TV. I'd rather be doing it.

In saying that, there's nothing like watching true geniuses at work such as Kelly Slater, Usain bolt, etc. but deffo nothing for over 20 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I do find the blanket dislike of sport rather odd myself I must say.

I find when most people say 'they don't like sport' what they actually mean is;

'I find the endless discussion of sports at the water cooler/canteen in work/on the news/in the papers to be incredibly boring, repetitive and given far too much air time'.

I don't follow sports, but have been known to enjoy sports. (ie, the Olympics, The World Cup, kicking a ball around etc)

But jeez, the endless discussion ad nauseum - does my head in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Is Dogging a class of sport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah, weirdos tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Katie Taylor, enough to make anyone watch sport, stunning when she keeps her mouth closed

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

o1s1n wrote: »
    I find when most people say 'they don't like sport' what they actually mean is;

'I find the endless discussion of sports at the water cooler/canteen in work/on the news/in the papers to be incredibly boring, repetitive and given far too much air time'.

I enjoy watching and playing sport but I too find the incessant discussion incredibly boring - I would never say 'I don't like sport'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I find watching golf horribly boring. I like playing it. Soccer, again, dislike watching it, don't mind playing it, but do hope Suarez gets a goal, as he's in my Fantasy Football team.

Love watching the X-Games, though. All of it. Skateboard, motorcycle, BMX; all are awesome.

IMO, given the variety, they probably just haven't found the one they like to watch yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

I feel sorry for people who take a dislike to sport. They are really missing out on something special. I don't think there is anything that can quite match the agony or ecstacy of an epic sporting encounter. I have been through every range of emotion and back, watching various sports over the years. Experiences that the sports haters simply miss out on.

I love literature (non sporting, don't like sports books at all), film, video games, etc. But, for me, none of these can match the *intensity* of emotion produced by an epic sporting encounter. Why? Because when an epic encounter is occurring, part of you is thinking: "My god, this is real! This is actually happening!". Fictional tales lack this ingredient. This, I believe, is the difference in intensity. Real people are creating this story. This drama.

Sport is bollix. For adrenalin junkies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I enjoy watching some sport, enjoy taking part in some sports. My brain turns to mush when people talk about sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I'd watch any sport except for Cricket. It's just an awful game. Tried watching it a few times and couldn't get into it. That Ashes thing was on recently, best of 5 games. Australia won 3 so they won, but yet they played the 5. What's the story there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

MJ23 wrote: »
    I'd watch any sport except for Cricket. It's just an awful game. Tried watching it a few times and couldn't get into it. That Ashes thing was on recently, best of 5 games. Australia won 3 so they won, but yet they played the 5. What's the story there?

Cricket is a great game, you can play it to the highest of levels whilst still putting on weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lorrieq

I'm not really one for watching sport but if I go a while without doing it, I find that it affects my mood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

MJ23 wrote: »

They had to stop the game because it rained on their cardigans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ted1 wrote: »
    Love playing sport, but to pushed about watching it, especially on TV. I'd rather be doing it.

In saying that, there's nothing like watching true geniuses at work such as Kelly Slater, Usain bolt, etc. but deffo nothing for over 20 minutes

Of all the examples in the world you choose Kelly fúcking Slater :confused:

Zidane, Woods, Nadal, Vettel, Kieran Read, LeBron James.

Sport is my life. Would be absolutely lost without it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

The only sports I have an interest in are martial arts. Dont get why people like football so much, its one of the most boring sports for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I just call them f*g***s

Mod: Poster banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Anyone can have this also with angry make-up sex and they don't have to watch people run around a field for over an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

I love sports myself, never was much good at any of them, but I love watching them. Still I can see why some find the games completely meaningless, because when you really look at it, they are. One group of people trying to put a ball into a net more times than another group of people within a predetermined time limit, what's the big deal? It's only when you follow the sport for a long time and get to know the characters, see the plot twists and bits of amazing skill or luck that you get addicted in a way to the drama and theatre that manifests during each season. I also think some resent the favoritism and accolades and money athletes get, perhaps are turned off by the macho bs involved, or just were never good at them and some people only like things they are good at and think stuff they suck at is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Sports is entertainment, and like all forms of entertainment there will be people who get it and people who don't.

You can't force people to like something, but I do feel sorry that they rarely get to feel the sort of ecstasy you have in this video (the clip from 0:56 to 1:14)

Of course for every moment like that, there's one which is the exact opposite...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I do not understand it. It has bored me all my life.
    But it feels like im missing out on something, i think id love to get that feeling i see when say your favourite team wins the league or something. I mean how do you even get a favourite time out of the premiership living here, just pick a random one, then suddenly youll cry if the lose a match ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Watching a bunch of que3rs running abouta field for an hour kicking a ball about the place?
    Boring as hell..

Motorsport, that as a genre of sport is quite different, it's fantastic.

Mod: User banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

ted1 wrote: »

I'm the same - I love my muay thai and the gym. I also will watch my kids play football.
    But I've sod all interest in watching something on TV - maybe world cup, champions league final stages.
    Although I love muay thai I'm not so keen on watching bouts of it - although watching it live is snazzy but on youtube/tv doesn't grab me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I love sport, couldn't do without it... That said I have an intense hatred for soccer, brought on mostly by the antics of the sissy pricks on the pitch.

Other than soccer I'll even watch curling ora game of bowling, I don't care once there's a sporting element to the game ~ but boy anything but soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

YbFocus wrote: »

Motorsport, that as a genre of sport is quite different, it's fantastic.

It might be fantastic, don't care much for it myself. It's not a sport though as it's not human powered.

Darts is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

MrCreosote wrote: »
    It might be fantastic, don't care much for it myself. It's not a sport though as it's not human powered.

Darts is though.

Not sure i follow your logic here. What has 'human powered' or no to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Perfectly understandable not to like it but it's amusing when people always have to make some snide comment about its supposed conformity, while ironically they're usually into something just as stratified and incomprehensible to others, like films or gaming.

Its like a rule that the comment always has to be in the form of a deeply corny, bitter play on words too, like sportsteam or teamball.

Mena wrote: »
    Not sure i follow your logic here. What has 'human powered' or no to do with it?

For something to be classified as a sport, the exertion has to come directly from the person's muscle.

So motor-"sports", horse racing, showjumping etc are powered by petrol or animals, so they are games or pastimes rather than sports.

For something to be classified as a sport, the exertion has to come directly from the person's muscle.

So motor-"sports", horse racing, showjumping etc are powered by petrol or animals, so they are games or pastimes rather than sports.

So jockeys and drivers are completely immobile and powerless and strapped to their cars and horses for show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

I've zero interest in sports! They dont appeal to me in anyway. My family is obsessed with hurling, rugby, and soccer! my dad would spend hours watching golf on his day off. Don't know how he does it! I'm crap at sport and used to have to play hurling in school, actually I was awful at any kind of sport we used to do in PE. I really don't see the appeal to sport but that's just me!

anncoates wrote: »
    So jockeys and drivers are completely immobile and powerless and strapped to their cars and horses for show?

Nope, they steer them. They don't power them though.

Horse carrying person- not a sport. Person carrying horse- sport. See the difference.

No point giving out to me about it- I don't make the rules about what's accepted as a sport or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I don't actively watch sport throughout the week or anything but don't dislike it in a blanket way either. Absolutely hate football/soccer though, it's a sh1te game played by overpaid prima donnas who'd be carted off a pitch for tripping over their own feet or being hit with a stiff breeze. There was a match on the other night in the pub and sweet jesus, they may as well have been swinging handbags at each other, you got bumped into, calm down cupcake no need for the hysterics.
    Rugby is good, NFL and ice hockey are good, haven't watched MMA in ages but that's come a long way over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I feel sorry for all the people who don't have the exact same interests as me. I get great enjoyment from my hobbies and everyone who does different things is really missing out. What boring lives they must have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

anncoates wrote: »

Yup, just like a hurley player just holds the stick out for it to do all the work ~ the car, bike, truck etc does it all too!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Nope, they steer them. They don't power them though.

Horse carrying person- not a sport. Person carrying horse- sport. See the difference.

No point giving out to me about it- I don't make the rules about what's accepted as a sport or not.

Who does make these rules?

Obviously you have never seena race driver after a race, he's in bits.
    Maybe you can't get your head around the stamina and performance you need to run in motorsport. . MotorSPORT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

F1 or rally driving takes crazy amounts of concentration, reflexes and muscle memory, so yeah they're sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

You just need a better imagination.

Obviously you have never seena race driver after a race, he's in bits.
    Maybe you can't get your head around the stamina and performance you need to run in motorsport. . MotorSPORT.

Just because they're physically fit doesn't make it a sport. I'm wrecked after a decent afternoon shopping in Dundrum- that needs stamina and concentration. It isn't a sport either.
    krudler wrote: »
    F1 or rally driving takes crazy amounts of concentration, reflexes and muscle memory, so yeah they're sports.

So do lots of other things- flying a plane, typing a response on boards.ie. Those things don't make them sports. The main distinguishing feature of a sport is the physical exertion- which must come mainly from the human participant, not the horse or the petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

You still haven't said who this official sports decider body is. Who made the rules for what is and isn't a sport? You claimed that you don't decide the rules but I think that's exactly what you're doing.

Just because they're physically fit doesn't make it a sport. I'm wrecked after a decent afternoon shopping in Dundrum- that needs stamina and concentration. It isn't a sport either.

So do lots of other things- flying a plane, typing a response on boards.ie. Those things don't make them sports. The main distinguishing feature of a sport is the physical exertion- which must come mainly from the human participant, not the horse or the petrol.

The car is just a stone without its driver, the same way that the football won't move without someone to kick it.
    I've googled it there and it turns out your wrong anyway.
    It says that a sport is only a sport if it requires intense physical activity, it then lists motorsport.
    If you're not into it you may not realise the performance and stamina a driver needs.

So do lots of other things- flying a plane, typing a response on boards.ie. Those things don't make them sports.l.

They could be if you were doing those things in competition with other experts at those activities and people enjoyed watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

What a condescending OP. I feel bad for people who don't like shopping, it's therapeutic and really enjoyable and a good way to spend a day, how could someone hate that?

Meh - we all love different things. Watching 12+ sweaty men running after a ball does nothing for me, personally, but hey! Each to their own

Lyaiera wrote: »
    You still haven't said who this official sports decider body is. Who made the rules for what is and isn't a sport? You claimed that you don't decide the rules but I think that's exactly what you're doing.

It's not a sports body- it a word definition so it'd be the OED and whoever decides the gold standard for language in Spanish, Mandarin, Russian etc. It's not google.
    I've googled it there and it turns out your wrong anyway.
    It says that a sport is only a sport if it requires intense physical activity, it then lists motorsport.
    If you're not into it you may not realise the performance and stamina a driver needs.

I know the performance and stamina they need. I have experienced the same thing driving from Tralee to Dublin, even though the g forces at 120k are a little less than on the Nurburgring. Here's the thing though- just because it takes some energy to do, or makes you tired does not make it a sport. And fanboys calling it motor"sport" trying to get some kudos for it do not make it a sport either. Why not? Because the car is being propelled by a f*ck off big engine!

I'm not saying it's not interesting or exciting- that's up to an individual to decide. All I'm saying is that it is not a sport.

• Advertisement
Advertisement