Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucan getting diseased with Traffic lights!!

Options
  • 04-01-2014 2:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I wonder if some scam is behind it but why Lucan as a small town is getting diseased with traffic lights.

Its ruining the image of a small town..

Rather than giving laptops/ tablets to schools to prepare next competitive generation we are wasting money on traffic lights!!

I am amazed by planning and cousellors of Lucan, who are letting this happen..I wonder what traffic/ accident data they had to justify these lights!

Any one knows how to get the financial data on implementation and running costs of traffic lights in Lucan.. it has to be a big scam.. may later come out when its too late!

Very annoyed :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Where has the latest lot popped up?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 C.ENGSTUDENT

It isn't the "cousellors" of Lucan letting it happen. The lights are there to maintain a healthy traffic flow while at the same time giving priority to movements with greater flow and pedestrians.

Giving away laptops and tablet has nothing to do with the roads department, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭roonimirza

@C.ENGSTUDENT:

Do you not think, putting approx. 50 bulbs on a small junction of Lucan is waste of money??
    Why we need one traffic light on top of another one??

I am not sure, how much you travelled but US get the same thing done either with 4 STOP signs or 4 lights for very big traffic junctions.

And Yes Counsellor have to do with everything, its their responsibility to make a solution which is cost effective for tax payers and more importantly efficient, low on maintenance and greener.

And of course we need better allocation of budget / resources.. We have only small pot of money to provide services,
    which we wasting on lights. Its a scam!!!!

Food for thoughts: Count the no of lights when you stopped on next unsynchronized set of lights.

@the_syco:

Its the road which leads from Clarion hotel to Fonthill business park. And also at the three roundabout around the
    Lucan Leisure Centre, with very narrow roundabouts.

What a waste, my heart cries when our tax money blown away like this :( I hate inefficiencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 C.ENGSTUDENT

Hey here's an idea for you because you know so much. Submit a traffic management plan to the local authority.

You could tell them about you're travels and how its done elsewhere with 4 stop signs and lights. I'm sure they will follow you're instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

The worst road has to be leaving the village, up past Courtneys, up the lock road towards Adamstown. Around 11 different sets at the last count. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭roonimirza

@C.ENGSTUDENT:

Thanks for agreeing that current solution does need improvement. I am trying to write a concrete letter to Council and also trying to find costs of running lights under Freedom of Information act.

ciarsd

These excessive lights making an overall nuisance and bad living experience, atleast these should be all synchronized.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

roonimirza wrote: »
    These excessive lights making an overall nuisance and bad living experience, atleast these should be all synchronized.

Well said. When I moved into my then new house in Lucan 14 years ago, there were very few traffic lights. There were many roundabouts, and they worked well. Not sure why some planning retards decided to put in all those traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

@C.ENGSTUDENT:

Do you not think, putting approx. 50 bulbs on a small junction of Lucan is waste of money??
    Why we need one traffic light on top of another one??

I am not sure, how much you travelled but US get the same thing done either with 4 STOP signs or 4 lights for very big traffic junctions.

And Yes Counsellor have to do with everything, its their responsibility to make a solution which is cost effective for tax payers and more importantly efficient, low on maintenance and greener.

And of course we need better allocation of budget / resources.. We have only small pot of money to provide services,
    which we wasting on lights. Its a scam!!!!

Food for thoughts: Count the no of lights when you stopped on next unsynchronized set of lights.

@the_syco:

Its the road which leads from Clarion hotel to Fonthill business park. And also at the three roundabout around the
    Lucan Leisure Centre, with very narrow roundabouts.

What a waste, my heart cries when our tax money blown away like this :( I hate inefficiencies.

The USA have a ton of lights at any one junction, dont want that model anyhow.
    Where are the new lights on the fonthill road? I know there is one at the schools and thats ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

unkel wrote: »
    Well said. When I moved into my then new house in Lucan 14 years ago, there were very few traffic lights. There were many roundabouts, and they worked well. Not sure why some planning retards decided to put in all those traffic lights.

They got rid of the roundabouts in certain areas because they were a disaster and too many accidents happened. Removed the one from finnstown because traffic on haydens lane couldnt get out.

The roundabout at superquinn is disaster as people don't know how to use it.

The only place they messed up the lights were at St Patricks Church, two set of walking lights within 50m of each other which is a joke. The lights to get over the N4 are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Traffic lights, roundabouts and other traffic calming measures get installed because of the quality of peoples driving - sadly around Lucan it's crap - I ride a motorbike as well as driving a car so can view it from two perspectives.

And even with traffic lights the number of instances of drivers crashing red lights is at epidemic proportions - one of the worst junctions has to be at Larkfield / St Andrews / Willsbrook - ( the one before the lights on the flyover heading towards Woodies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Well if they didn't have traffic lights, then there'd be more speed traps.

Incidently, there was a speed trap on Fonthill Road today, outside the school, in between Fonthill Business park and the main Liffey Valley centre roundabout.

They must be making an example of a few people when the schools are starting up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

...And also at the three roundabout around the
    Lucan Leisure Centre, with very narrow roundabouts. ...

Are you talking about the roundabouts on Griffeen Way and Willsbrook Road - here? https://www.google.ie/maps/preview#!q=Griffeen+Way%2C+Griffeen+Valley%2C+Lucan&data=!1m4!1m3!1d4131!2d-6.4309134!3d53.3481779!4m15!2m14!1m13!1s0x486772fe192e7351%3A0x9ae4ef229168652f!3m8!1m3!1d8262!2d-6.4321897!3d53.3480401!3m2!1i1366!2i666!4f13.1!4m2!3d53.3474383!4d-6.4325649

If so, I thought they were flashing orange pedestrian lights rather than traffic lights. I don't know for certain, but I'd imagine that they narrowed these roundabouts to slow traffic down as they are a couple of hundred metres away from a number of schools. These roundabouts were always taken very fast and, IMO, it's better for the safety of children now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Are you talking about the roundabouts on Griffeen Way and Willsbrook Road - here? https://www.google.ie/maps/preview#!q=Griffeen+Way%2C+Griffeen+Valley%2C+Lucan&data=!1m4!1m3!1d4131!2d-6.4309134!3d53.3481779!4m15!2m14!1m13!1s0x486772fe192e7351%3A0x9ae4ef229168652f!3m8!1m3!1d8262!2d-6.4321897!3d53.3480401!3m2!1i1366!2i666!4f13.1!4m2!3d53.3474383!4d-6.4325649

If so, I thought they were flashing orange pedestrian lights rather than traffic lights. I don't know for certain, but I'd imagine that they narrowed these roundabouts to slow traffic down as they are a couple of hundred metres away from a number of schools. These roundabouts were always taken very fast and, IMO, it's better for the safety of children now.

Those roundabouts were taken in some instances at speed but certainly not during the hours when the schools were opening and closing, simply because traffic is chronic in the area at rush hour and between 3 and 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Fair enough, but rush hour isn't the only time that you get people there. The paths are designed so that pedestrians cross the road at the roundabout, so taking a bit of speed out of the roundabout is no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Fair enough, but rush hour isn't the only time that you get people there. The paths are designed so that pedestrians cross the road at the roundabout, so taking a bit of speed out of the roundabout is no harm.

To be fair, the paths had never even been designed properly. You had to pick your way through the long grass to cross at those junctions.
    As a motorist I bloody hate what they've done there but I love it when I go for my evening jogs because I can cross easily without slowing down! :)

Advertisement