Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling left behind in work

Options
  • 04-01-2014 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I know many are struggling with unemployment, I've been there myself

I went to college, did a few years in a financial services job that I loved and then we all got made redundant.

I took up another position in another company and it was sold to me as an expanding area, lots of projects, etc

When I was a kitchen porter nobody wanted to do the pots so I always did them. When I worked on a factory floor I did the cleaning jobs while the lads wanted to mess with forklifts and do the planning jobs. When I was a barman some refused to get stock or clean so I did this. I care about my work no matter what job it is and supervisors always comment I am reliable and a great worker.

Now I'm a full time professional and I'm opening envelopes, scanning documents and watching everyone getting praise for dealing with demanding clients or inputting deals. I'm here longer, I trained most of them and I'm feeling upset at being left behind. I record my statistics and I know I am quicker and more accurate then most of them.

I used to have clients service area and then a lad who claimed he could speak Spanish actually couldn't so he got my role and I was put on the post. Another person was terrible at inputting deals so I was told to train and coach which I did and then he got a role in a new team, got a great appraisal and I'm still on the post.

I try to help everyone but I feel I help people and they sell themselves to get great appraisals and what I do is unseen.I asked my teammate for some help with my documents and was told that's work for " interns and students". :(

The senior VP boss says I'm organised, diligent and care about my work, my immediate boss says I'm reliable and the supervisors say I'm always willing to get stuck in and I'm dedicated. Mistakes were made on the post and organising documents in the past and I cut them to zero for 8 months when I took over. They are happy to leave me here I think forever.

The people at my level look down on my job as if I open envelopes all day. I'm learning nothing here, have less responsibilities then people who started after me and now know less systems then them.

But even if I move on will this happen all over again? As this seems to be repeating itself in all my jobs. I'm not the most confident, definitely beat myself up a lot and dont sell myself well. I'm also a "people pleaser" and often a doormat. Am I putting myself in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP your thread might be better here.
    For anyone who has followed it across please ensure you read the WP Charter, PI no longer applies.

Thanks
    Taltos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Hi OP, I do know exactly what you are going through, been there and worn the T Shirt and some days I still feel Im there. I wouldnt say that your treatment is down to being "a doormat" as thats being tough on yourself but sadly there are two worlds in work- the one on paper where you come in with your qualifications and are ready to do your training, please your boss and coworkers and in theory start rising the ranks of the career ladder. There is another world to work though that often in many places weighs heavier than good attitude and appraisals, and that's work culture.

Work culture can bypass fairness and training opportunities and takes many forms, primarily if someone is "in" or popular with key members of management or fellow workers. This individual may not be there as long as you but they may gel better with co workers, play soccer with the boss, l!ck ass the right way or be a yes man to such an extent that they go up in the eyes of their boss higher than someone who wants to be ethical. Its also about first impressions as well, some people and bosses take to you better than others and although they may be professional with you, they dont really like you and if this person is a boss you are in trouble when it comes to climbing the ladder as they will always find a way to block you whilst smiling and commenting "maybe next time, you are a great worker".

Perhaps some of your workmates are so keen to progress that they will do anything to win the office politics at your job so they lie about their skills, kiss up to management and are more headstrong and visible than you so they get more notice. I know it sucks but office politics are in every job (all the ones I have been in anyway) and you either play every day to get a sweet deal in work, or you dont and keep your head down and blend away in the background staying exactly where you are. Its a choice you need to make. You dont have to bowl in to your boss and demand a promotion but I suggest presenting your case to your supervisor in a private brief meeting, you dont need to mention that so and so did this and you should also be doing it, maybe just say "I have been doing envelopes for quite a while now and I appreciate the skill and experience, I notice there are several other opportunities in the business and I am very keen to try some of these and expand my skillset, what do you say?". That puts the ball in their court and informs them that you want to try new things.

If they still block you it may be time to look around for a new job if you can and use this experience to improve your impression and be more visible in your new job. You dont have to scream and roar to get places in work but more assertiveness could help in your case. Trust me I have often looked around and wondered how certain people get away with doing nothing all day but its down to personality and preference most of the time.

Best of luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭lau1247

OP, i would just like to make two points and hopefully it is useful.

1. What is your annual objective your direct manager set for you? Do you meet those (probably do)? I would suggest bringing it up at the yearly meeting how you performed and what additional work you did. These are the measurable part of the work you do. Any additional training you provide are secondary unless you/your manager set it within your objective

2. If you feel others are getting ahead of you without merit (which you are) then get together with your manager for a one on one chat to ask for 'constructive feedback'. State you concern, express you feel that you are being overlooked but the most important thing is to ask what you are doing wrong, what does it take to do right or what you can do to help progress in your career. That should give him/her an indication that you are not happy about being passed the opportunity to progress. If nothing happen after a while from your talk, i would consider a move from the company if i were you because then they clearly doesn't want you to progress

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The senior VP boss says I'm organised, diligent and care about my work, my immediate boss says I'm reliable and the supervisors say I'm always willing to get stuck in and I'm dedicated.

They are telling you what you are, but not what they want in some who is to get ahead... you need to work out what is required to get ahead and then concentrate on that.

he got a role in a new team, got a great appraisal and I'm still on the post.
    Was this role advertised and if so did you put yourself forward for it?
    Have you spoken to your superiors about your desire to progress?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Hi OP, I do know exactly what you are going through, been there and worn the T Shirt and some days I still feel Im there. I wouldnt say that your treatment is down to being "a doormat" as thats being tough on yourself but sadly there are two worlds in work- the one on paper where you come in with your qualifications and are ready to do your training, please your boss and coworkers and in theory start rising the ranks of the career ladder. There is another world to work though that often in many places weighs heavier than good attitude and appraisals, and that's work culture.

Work culture can bypass fairness and training opportunities and takes many forms, primarily if someone is "in" or popular with key members of management or fellow workers. This individual may not be there as long as you but they may gel better with co workers, play soccer with the boss, l!ck ass the right way or be a yes man to such an extent that they go up in the eyes of their boss higher than someone who wants to be ethical. Its also about first impressions as well, some people and bosses take to you better than others and although they may be professional with you, they dont really like you and if this person is a boss you are in trouble when it comes to climbing the ladder as they will always find a way to block you whilst smiling and commenting "maybe next time, you are a great worker".

Perhaps some of your workmates are so keen to progress that they will do anything to win the office politics at your job so they lie about their skills, kiss up to management and are more headstrong and visible than you so they get more notice. I know it sucks but office politics are in every job (all the ones I have been in anyway) and you either play every day to get a sweet deal in work, or you dont and keep your head down and blend away in the background staying exactly where you are. Its a choice you need to make. You dont have to bowl in to your boss and demand a promotion but I suggest presenting your case to your supervisor in a private brief meeting, you dont need to mention that so and so did this and you should also be doing it, maybe just say "I have been doing envelopes for quite a while now and I appreciate the skill and experience, I notice there are several other opportunities in the business and I am very keen to try some of these and expand my skillset, what do you say?". That puts the ball in their court and informs them that you want to try new things.

If they still block you it may be time to look around for a new job if you can and use this experience to improve your impression and be more visible in your new job. You dont have to scream and roar to get places in work but more assertiveness could help in your case. Trust me I have often looked around and wondered how certain people get away with doing nothing all day but its down to personality and preference most of the time.

Best of luck OP.

Excellent post and very true unfortunately .....

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here, thank you for all the detailed and great replies
    Was this role advertised and if so did you put yourself forward for it?

Not realy an advertised role.
    There is a senior manager, a manager, 3 supervisors and about 16 of us. I started 15 months ago and hit the ground running and within a few months was training new hires though I was new myself.

I work hard and could do the client service, deal input and post work and train others at the same time. Nowadays I just do the post. I have less responsibility then when I started.

It's not a case of tasks being taken away from me as I can't handle them.

We got a new VP boss several months ago who wanted reliable to take over the post and I did it well. But I learn nothing and I sit in the corner, just me and the temp who is a sound lad and we work well together.

The others go to meetings and projects and are trained in the latest systems. For example they worked on a project for refunds and got huge praise for it. I scanned everything and stuffed envelopes and the manager never came over to us once.

I don't want to sound petty and bitter. I started before them and trained most of them. I think the post is important but I get non stop comments about doing the job for "new people" and the job for "interns and students". I can have the craic and take banter but it's tiresome.

I go to my appraisal this month and will sell myself as best I can. :)
    Have you spoken to your superiors about your desire to progress?

Several times but always professionally as I am wary of coming across as a complainer. One told me to push myself forward and sell myself so will do that at my appraisal this month. I helped her team for a few weeks and she requested I join her but the boss wouldn't release me from the post. Now she is on maternity leave so that's over.

The other supervisor said he would let me help out to get experience. Though I ran those areas on my own in the past and was looking to own them again. To "get experience" is like being a new hire all over again.

The post function will always exist and they would not rotate a trained employee to the post. It's me and the temp and 6 months down the line I think it will still be us two. Just to say I am full time permanent not that it matters.

I will see how the appraisal goes and I'm thinking of moving on, no rash decisions though

Sorry for the long post, thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

Hi op,

I'm not sure that I'd wait for the appraisal (unless its very soon)..Why not just ask your boss for a chat and talk about the best way to look for a change in role?

I'd make the point that
    -in the past you have run various areas
    -you went in to the post role as they needed someone reliable to sort out the area. You have now done this and feel that you are ready for your next challenge.

If they hum and haw then you could ask what skills and competencies you need to demonstrate to get to the next level in the company. Worst case scenario you should come out with a training plan which will allow you to progress.

I wouldn't worry about how other people are doing. You need to see what works best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

In future never volunteer for work that is less responsibility and a step down; you always need to be stepping up. Your employer wanting someone reliable to do the post is not compatible with what you want from your career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

My mother who was a top class secretary in her time told me when I was young, never to girt too proficient at typing. She said that when there's a rush typing job, the best typist gets to do it. I was studying for a business degree then. This was in the day of typewriters and telex machines and she was right. I've only ever admitted to a speed of 40 words a minute although I could work much faster. If your good at simple repetitive jobs and are conscientious and can be trusted to do a thorough job, that's what you'll end up doing. You also end up getting the blame for any cockup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Diziet wrote: »
    In future never volunteer for work that is less responsibility and a step down; you always need to be stepping up. Your employer wanting someone reliable to do the post is not compatible with what you want from your career.

Pretty much this. It looks like the OP is constantly going for the most menial jobs available.

Toilet cleaners and envelope openers are called diligent. CEOs are never called diligent.

Where I work there's a guy like you. He took all the crappy jobs that no one else wanted to do, has effectively demoted himself to stockroom boy and has been told that he won't be getting promoted, they're hiring in outside staff to do the more important roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here, thanks again for replies

Did my appraisal and got 3/5 which is "consistently strong". It's the average score that most get. I know a few who got 4/5 and I know one lad got 2/5 though he made a colossal error which cost €€€. There is performance curve so most are average, some are above and a few are below.

I did my very best to push myself forward.
    Pointed out that of 13 people I was the only person not given training as I was left on the post. Also said I was concerned about being left behind.

The supervisors praised me, said how fantastic I was doing but could not say when I would move......if ever. 

Then a few days later met the VP for the salary review (no increase but then nobody else did so fair enough)who said he was happy with me but I could  do better and was capable of 4/5.
    I listed off some areas I had achieved in and that I outperformed people on other teams and give recorded stats to prove this and commented that being on the post I'm not invited to many of the meetings or projects. I felt the people who worked in front line client service got noticed and my work was not considered important. Was just told to do better...

The next day the supervisor said I was organised and did well in the past and gave me a project to print 150 documents, check them and post them. I'm supposed to do that next week. Its a task like any other but I will learn nothing and think I will be doing this throughout 2014.

I thinks management and the supervisors wanted someone who was very organised, diligent, quiet and would do the jobs nobody else would do......and that's me!! 

Thanks again for the replies, I'll put the head down, do nothing rash and start the job hunt. And I will try to learn some life lessons as I seem to put myself in these situations time and time again no matter if it's a minimum wage job or a full time professional job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I take it you don't live in the west
    I'm always looking for people that want to get on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

OP, it might be worth letting them know that you're looking for more responsibility and challenges, even if that opportunity is with another employer. They have got too comfortable with you doing post, so unless they think they will lose you anyway, they will leave you where you are. I know I would in their position. You've demonstrated that you have experience and skills elsewhere they could utilise, so maybe if you let them know you are looking at other roles in other companies, they might take notice.

Advertisement