Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Advice

Options
  • 04-01-2014 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hello Folks,

Been wanting to travel to Oz for quite some time now. Been researching it a lot lately, reading on the forums and what not.

Was just looking for some advice. I would like to travel Thailand for maybe 1 month before continuing onto Oz. I would like to know what is the cheapest route of travel to do so ?

From reading online I have read that this is supposedly the worst time of year to head over as regards employment, my inital plan was Thailand for a month in July then onto Oz.

I am also looking for advice in relation to jobs and where is the best starting point. I know these questions pop up everyday so apologies for sounding like a noob.

Just got let go from work so have nothing to stay for here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Xmas, early jan are the worst times for job hunting, don't know about regional work.
    Thailand/SE asia is on a different world for expense, i spent more cash in 5 weeks in NZ/Aus than i did in 5 months in SE asia and i was being careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Cheapest route? Just keep an eye on flights and deals
    I would think London-BKK could be gotten pretty cheaply and then find cheapest way into Oz. I know someone here who has gotten a one way MEL-BKK for $240 in March.
    Thailand is real cheap, just be aware that there is a lot of political unrest ongoing in Bangkok in particular
    http://www.livemint.com/Politics/r2vpovVXLyLjbdxaIrRvJI/Political-unrest-deals-new-blow-to-Thailand-tourism.html
    Although it might be over by time you get there in July.
    Bangkok is alright to see but get out quickly before falling for some scam and see the islands or countryside north, west, east.

So you won't get here until August, should be an okay time of year to get work at end of winter. Christmas/January is worst time to go looking for work here.
    Work can depend on where you land, if you want to stay awhile, get your regional work sorted early in the game. It'll give you more leeway in the long run. What's your qualification? Sort out your resume before you get here so you can hit the ground running. Other than that, show initiative and pound the pavement to get that first job. I'm settled here but I encounter a fair number of WHVs through my work and the ones that knuckle down and don't get sucked into the hostel party goon vicious cycle tend to fare alright

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭McGeezerr

Cheapest route? Just keep an eye on flights and deals
    I would think London-BKK could be gotten pretty cheaply and then find cheapest way into Oz. I know someone here who has gotten a one way MEL-BKK for $240 in March.
    Thailand is real cheap, just be aware that there is a lot of political unrest ongoing in Bangkok in particular
    http://www.livemint.com/Politics/r2vpovVXLyLjbdxaIrRvJI/Political-unrest-deals-new-blow-to-Thailand-tourism.html
    Although it might be over by time you get there in July.
    Bangkok is alright to see but get out quickly before falling for some scam and see the islands or countryside north, west, east.

So you won't get here until August, should be an okay time of year to get work at end of winter. Christmas/January is worst time to go looking for work here.
    Work can depend on where you land, if you want to stay awhile, get your regional work sorted early in the game. It'll give you more leeway in the long run. What's your qualification? Sort out your resume before you get here so you can hit the ground running. Other than that, show initiative and pound the pavement to get that first job. I'm settled here but I encounter a fair number of WHVs through my work and the ones that knuckle down and don't get sucked into the hostel party goon vicious cycle tend to fare alright

Thanks for the information I would not stay in Bangkok I would like to travel the islands my sister, and some friends I know have done it already so can get info from them, however some of them wouldn't leave Pattaya the dirty dogs :P

I would tend to be someone to get straight into things, no slacking about. I find if you get into holiday mode you will screw yourself over in the long run, saying that you gotta enjoy yourself too !

I'm an apprentice barber at the moment, bit random I know, but once my exams are over it's more or less an international degree. I have looked on SEEK for barbering jobs are there were quite a few with $25-$30 dollars wage, which seems good.

At the moment I have not even bought a VISA, Thailand and then onto Oz is what I do have my heart set on though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Actually you've got a good skill for Australia, lots of locals are put off barber/hairdressers because of the long training time required for basic qualification, 4 years I think for the most basic level!

catbear wrote: »
    Actually you've got a good skill for Australia, lots of locals are put off barber/hairdressers because of the long training time required for basic qualification, 4 years I think for the most basic level!

Yeah I completely forgot about that actually ! I read that last year before I started barbering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 irish_janey

Hi there! :) I am travelling to Oz in a few months with my friends. We are organising flights, visas and insurance individually ourselves- does anyone reckon that this is a good route? Cause it is working out cheaper for us this way rather than through USIT.

Also.... We are going to fruit pick for the first 3 months that we are there. Do we need a tax number etc.. before we go. And if anyone has any suggestions on where to go, best accom, pay, names of good farms... Annnything! :)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

No point going through USIT or anyone else. It's easy to do yourself.

TFN (Tax file number) is an online application and you get it via email pretty soon. The actual card/letter gets posted out and can take 28 days or something. All you need is the number. You can work without a TFN as well, you just get hit with emergency tax rates of about 50% until your TFN comes through.

Sim cards are as little as $2.

WHV is an online application and usually comes back via email within 24 hours. It's an electronic visa so you don't get a stamp in your passport anymore.

Minimum wage here is at least $16.88 per hour I think from a quick google search. On farms expect to work long hours and hot days. Friends have said they've received approx $19-$20 per hour. It's not all fruit picking. It can be farm labouring, driving tractors etc.

A driving licence is almost essential to have over here. Your Irish licence is fine to use over here on a WHV, no requirement to change it. You can, if you wish get an Aus licence after being here 6 months. You don't have to surrender your Irish licence either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 irish_janey

That's great advice thank you! We are a group of three and someone mentioned it is hard to stay together for work. Does anyone know of the best way to go about getting good farm work where we can be together, good facilities on sights and preferably paid? A friend has suggested gumtree but I'm on a website called fruitpicking.au, is that any good?

I still have not sorted myself out yet, unemployment is the ultimate killer don't even have social welfare and I plan on leaving in July there abouts :(

Advertisement