Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Even after bleeding, top floor rads are luke warm

• 04-01-2014 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

I am in a 3 storey house with a weird collection of radiators from various times in the last 30 or 40 years. We only recently bought it and it has a brand new condensing oil boiler but I am worried its insufficient for the house.

The house is about 2000sqf and has 10 rads with the ones on the bottom floor nice and hot (can't hold your hand on them long) the middle floor they are pretty hot and the top floor they are luke warm

I have bled them all a number of times with no air in the system and the water coming out of them is the same temperature as the radiators

Is there something I can check with the boiler or the pump to check if they are up to the job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Circulating pump not enough head for a 3 storey house.
    Check the pump for its pump head & install a 7m or 8m head pump.

It should say something like 25/50 or 25/60 or 15/50, etc.

And buy a decent quality one like Grundfos.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

http://imgur.com/vV4jLQB

The pump looks a bit older than the boiler, it looks to be a Tuscon 25/5s? Is this likely the problem?

I have also just inspected the boiler passport we received with the house and it's not filled in!! Can't help but think that thats a bad sign, kicking myself for not checking earlier

Yes that's your problem. Although Tuscon is made by Grundfos, they are not the same quality as their own branded pumps.

Re: passport, if it's not filled in, it hasn't been commissioned. Ask for a recommendation here & somebody might be in your locality.
    Other downside, you have to leave it at home when you are going on your holidays & they don't like that.... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

shane0007 wrote: »
    Yes that's your problem. Although Tuscon is made by Grundfos, they are not the same quality as their own branded pumps.

Re: passport, if it's not filled in, it hasn't been commissioned. Ask for a recommendation here & somebody might be in your locality.
    Other downside, you have to leave it at home when you are going on your holidays & they don't like that.... :-)

Thanks, I was hoping to avoid any more financial suprises but I guess that's part of it, hopefully the commissioning won't be too expensive! is the pump not powerful enough or is it just bad quality?

tvc15 wrote: »
    Thanks, I was hoping to avoid any more financial suprises but I guess that's part of it, hopefully the commissioning won't be too expensive! is the pump not powerful enough or is it just bad quality?
    Main problem is head size is not enough, rather than quality.
    You could change the pump yourself as you have gate type pump valves, you won't be messing with leaking slot type ones. Just make sure the directional arrow is pointing the same direction as the existing.
    3 wires, live, neutral & earth.

Commissioning, I normally charge €70 incl vat but it really depends on your local lad what they charge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement