Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part Time Employee Pay Entitlements on closed days over the holiday period

Options
  • 04-01-2014 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭

HI There,

I have a number of patt-time employees who work 1-2 days per week for me on Fridays and Saturdays Having been closed over the festive period I am wondering what their entitlements are for pay for the Friday 27th given it is a non public holiday (we reopened on Saturday)? Should those that would usually work the Friday receive a full days wage or not and are they entitled to any pay for the 25,26th?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Not entitled to pay on 27th. Are entitled to pro-rata pay for all public holidays and they should also accrue paid holiday hours.

I think the citizen information site has a good explanation how to calculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Check with NERA. But they are entitled to 1/5 of pay of the hours worked 14 days prior to the bank holiday. That was my take on it.
    Cheers Oliver

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

Also check your contract of employment or staff handbook it should have something in there about bank holidays etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Optimum

They wouldn't have to get paid for the Friday,
    and as for the bank holiday pay it is generally 1/5 of the average working week, so you shouldn't have to pay two full days just part of.
    Also for part time staff you only have to pay bank holiday pay if they have worked a minimum of 40 hours in the previous 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Optimum

Or as above check the contracts regarding bank holiday pay and go on to citizens advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

Thanks everyone . Very beneficial information first christmas period so all advice welcome!

Advertisement