Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bike routes for beginners

Options
  • 04-01-2014 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a beginner bike route where I will not meet too many crazy motorists or erm hills...very unfit and looking to get back into cycling. I know there are a few clubs but I need to build up some stamina before I would join one.

I have a decent road bike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Where are ya starting from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Anywhere in the Athlone/Moate/Mullingar area. I don't mind driving with the bike to get to a nice spot where I won't cause a pileup :)

Anywhere on the old N6 road is grand. Its good and wide and not much traffic with a hard shoulder too. Ya could start in Athlone - Moate - Mount Temple - Athlone. Few hills from Moate back, but hills are good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Thanks roosterman. I would be working up to an Athlone to Moate ride at this point! The n6 sounds like the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bog_savage

Rosemount Cycling club normally do Moate-Athlone-Moate or Moate-Kilbeggan-Tullamore-Clara-Moate during the winter .
    Both routes offer hard shoulder almost all the way , and is pretty flat . Second route is pretty long but there are lots of short cuts for beginners .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bog_savage

Rosemount Cycling club normally do Moate-Athlone-Moate or Moate-Kilbeggan-Tullamore-Clara-Moate during the winter .
    Both routes offer hard shoulder almost all the way , and is pretty flat . Second route is pretty long but there are lots of short cuts for beginners .

Anywhere on that road is grand. Ya can always start off somewhere, go a distance and then come back the same road. Athlone - Moate - Athlone would be no bother to a beginner

Advertisement