Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nowlan Park 2014 Concert

Options
  • 04-01-2014 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Any prospects of a concert this Summer? I saw the GAA mention there was no concert as of mid December but were hopeful that might change. Will be very hard to top last years Springsteen concerts which were a great boost for the whole city! Who migit appear? Have seen Garth Brooks mentioned.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I suppose seen as yer hurling team is finished ye need all the concerts ye can get otherwise the summers in Kilkenny will be long and boring :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Fortyjocks wrote: »
    Any prospects of a concert this Summer? I saw the GAA mention there was no concert as of mid December but were hopeful that might change. Will be very hard to top last years Springsteen concerts which were a great boost for the whole city! Who migit appear? Have seen Garth Brooks mentioned.

Heard Garth Brooks mentioned too. Imagine something will be on the cards as Springsteen was a such huge success.

obezyana wrote: »
    I suppose seen as yer hurling team is finished ye need all the concerts ye can get otherwise the summers in Kilkenny will be long and boring :p

You wish. 34 All Irelands and counting. Now go back to Tipperary or whatever god for-saken fourm you usually dwell where it's clearly all so exciting that you feel the need to dip into the Kilkenny one for your trolling pleasure ;)

Sue Nunn more or less saying it's Garth Brooks, not yet 100% confirmed as of yet.

road_high wrote: »
    You wish. 34 All Irelands and counting. Now go back to Tipperary or whatever god for-saken fourm you usually dwell where it's clearly all so exciting that you feel the need to dip into the Kilkenny one for your trolling pleasure ;)
    :D

• Advertisement

Jesus have a day off don't be getting so worked up over a little bit of banter.

PS; Your reply is the very reason why some GAA supporters would be happy to see your team fall down the pecking order....... Ye can't take it if it's not going yer own way but if it is ye are the greatest things since the wheel was invented.

obezyana wrote: »
    Jesus have a day off don't be getting so worked up over a little bit of banter.

PS; Your reply is the very reason why some GAA supporters would be happy to see your team fall down the pecking order....... Ye can't take it if it's not going yer own way but if it is ye are the greatest things since the wheel was invented.

Whatever...I do find it sad that so many "supporters" of other teams take more pleasure in Kilkenny's (rare) defeats than their own team/counties even more rare victories. Just cannot understand the begrudging mentality, explemified by your post.

PS. Couldn't care less who won it, 99.9% of Kilkenny supporters like myself were very happy for a team like that Clare that hasn't won very much in recent years to feel the buzz of winning the AI this year.

Whatever...I do find it sad that so many "supporters" of other teams take more pleasure in Kilkenny's (rare) defeats than their own team/counties even more rare victories. Just cannot understand the begrudging mentality, explemified by your post.

PS. Couldn't care less who won it, 99.9% of Kilkenny supporters like myself were very happy for a team like that Clare that hasn't won very much in recent years to feel the buzz of winning the AI this year.

I don't begrudge Kilkenny anything at all I live in Kilkenny I love it here I love the banter I get when I'm in the local pub and it's all good fun :) actually have a look at what banter and fun are defined as in a dictionary and then maybe you might loosen up a little bit.

You really did derail this thread (I can only imagine you posting in the GAA section......yikes.......) I merely made a tongue in cheek comment as sure look a bit of banter is good. But here either way whether it's Gareth Brooks or Henry Shefflin strutting their stuff on the field I hope you enjoy your summer in Nowlan Park. Let's hope it's a sunny one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dingy2

Went to a Dylan concert there a few years back....I wouldn't recommend the place for a gig..

dingy2 wrote: »
    Went to a Dylan concert there a few years back....I wouldn't recommend the place for a gig..

Why so? Was at Springsteen last summer and while part of it is old, basic and dingey I thought it fine and well able for the crowd in attendance. The concert was a big success with few issues. It's not the Aviva but don't think it ever was intended to be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

The setup for Dylan and Springsteen were completely different, they can't be compared to be honest. Sure Dylan was before Nowlan Park was upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

mr brooks would be a serious disappointment in fairness.

Bowlardo wrote: »

Not for many. Still has a serious fan base in Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'd go see Mr Books! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Bowlardo wrote: »

For some it will be, i include myself there, but it will sell out in minutes.

He is insanely popular over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Ouch !!!! Tetchy,are'nt we.:D:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

That's enough with the GAA banter.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    For some it will be, i include myself there, but it will sell out in minutes.

He is insanely popular over here.

Aiken seem to like Nowlan park and if they are the promoters they will probably copy cat Springsteen.

Is there enough popularity for Brooks to sell out Cork, Limerick, Kilkenny & Belfast??

Aiken seem to like Nowlan park and if they are the promoters they will probably copy cat Springsteen.

Is there enough popularity for Brooks to sell out Cork, Limerick, Kilkenny & Belfast??

Most definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

99.9% of Kilkenny supporters like myself were very happy for a team like that Clare that hasn't won very much in recent years to feel the buzz of winning the AI this year.

Come off it, would your of being as happy if Clare had beaten Kilkenny in the final after all the team has hasn't won much...

Couldn't care less what KK win or lose BTW but the above statement is just utter trash. Would 99.9% of Kilkenny people be happy if Waterford won it this year!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Nowlan Park is an awesome location, it's a stone-throw from the rail/ bus station, it's close to the ringroad plus motorway and it has a heap of pubs and restaurants close it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Most definitely.

Can't see why Aiken wouldn't be trying to get this gig (excuse the pun) for 2014 then if they can mirror the popularity of Springsteen in another set of summer concerts.
    Will do well for the local businesses too, which is always welcome. I remember KK last year during Springsteen, the town was buzzing and I didn't hear of any serious trouble over the weekend.

Nowlan Park is an awesome location, it's a stone-throw from the rail/ bus station, it's close to the ringroad plus motorway and it has a heap of pubs and restaurants close it.

I agree, but I'm a bit biased towards that venue too :o

O'Loughlins made a killing in the bar that weekend too as all the staff/volunteers and some concert goers ended up back there after the gig to let the traffic die down a bit first.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Come off it, would your of being as happy if Clare had beaten Kilkenny in the final.

Couldn't care less what KK win or lose BTW but the above statement is just utter trash. Would 99.9% of Kilkenny people be happy if Waterford won it this year!!:D

Honestly would not bother me. Kilkenny win so often that is nice to see another team win. Dismiss that as "trash" if you like. Who is "happy" ever though to see their own team actually loose, even if they have the success KK have had? But that's sport and they well deserved it.
    Waterford of course I'd love to see them win one too. Personally I'm an anybody but Cork (especially)/Tipp man :D!! They're the two KK have a real deep intense rivalry with always.

P.S. We better stop as per mods instructions, I was merely replying to your quote to my post.

Can't see why Aiken wouldn't be trying to get this gig (excuse the pun) for 2014 then if they can mirror the popularity of Springsteen in another set of summer concerts.
    Will do well for the local businesses too, which is always welcome. I remember KK last year during Springsteen, the town was buzzing and I didn't hear of any serious trouble over the weekend.

I'd expect KK to come to a standstill if he plays there.

He's probably the most popular artist to ever play here. The Irish love him.

Expect to see line dancing make a short comeback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

And wide range of ill fitting cowboy hats.

Definitely. He's hugely popular here with a strong loyal fan-base.

Has there an official annoucement made? I.e. not Sue Nunn.

ooohhh Langtons will love that! Wonder will Mr Farrell make a linedancing comeback too :pac:

I think Nowlan park is a great venue, and it seems to be widely respected as one since Springsteen, because those travelling didn't realise how good the access links were for driving with the new road and of course with Irish Rail running late trains back to Dublin it was just fabulously organised.

I think any artist would be happy to play the venue.

I've not seen any official announcements yet - I think the first I'll hear will be either my KK contacts or a ticketmaster alert.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ooohhh Langtons will love that! Wonder will Mr Farrell make a linedancing comeback too :pac:

I think Nowlan park is a great venue, and it seems to be widely respected as one since Springsteen, because those travelling didn't realise how good the access links were for driving with the new road and of course with Irish Rail running late trains back to Dublin it was just fabulously organised.

I have to agree,
    Access to the event was great and not alot of stress compared to other citys around the country.

plenty of spots to park yet walking distance to everything incl the city center, you can't ask for more really.

As for some people thinking Brooks isn't popular, as much as I hate country even I have to admit he has a following and i know a few people that would love to see him in concert as they are big fans.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    I have to agree,
    Access to the event was great and not alot of stress compared to other citys around the country.

plenty of spots to park yet walking distance to everything incl the city center, you can't ask for more really.

As for some people thinking Brooks isn't popular, as much as I hate country even I have to admit he has a following and i know a few people that would love to see him in concert as they are big fans.

I remember his popularity back in the 90's alright and I think we had all his cd's in our house. I think it's probably because he hasn't toured since then that there are questions on his popularity.

Advertisement